Why i like glocks - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 105

Thread: Why i like glocks

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Every Glock owner will tell you the plastic sights suck big time. A Glock official told me one time that the reason they put those stupid and cheap sights on their firearms had something to do with some importation law. *shrugs* I didn't really follow his point when he said it and didn't care that much to continue to ask questions. Point being... whatever the price of the Glock you are buying is, add about $100 to put new sights on.

    Every LEO in the world will tell you that the moment you try to rack the slide one handed (against pocket, against heel of boot, etc.) that plastic sight will bust right off. Before a big debate ensues as to why one would rack their firearm with one hand, it is a drill performed by LEO's in case one of their arms becomes disabled and they need to rack their slide. I prefer doing this drill in a kneeling position against the heel of the boot to avoid pointing down my leg with the pocket technique.
    I agree with the plastic issue and have in the past shopped for the Meprolite as are on my Kimbers but with my $$$$ issue now that my wife retired I am stuck with the ones I have. The older laser sight I have fits and I carry the Ultra carry CC close and tight, the M22 is in a fanny pack if and when I choose to carry this one. As to the debate of disabled rack and slide, thanks understand. I too would like to know why the import thing is even an issue, I think it is due to price not law.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

  2.   
  3. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTwoShure View Post
    The only issue I have had with any model Glock was right in the store. The rear sight fell off. I had bought this via Davidson’s on line. It was shipped to the store where I completed the paper work and then checked it out. Davidson’s, as their stated policy, sent a new one the next day. I would be very interested in any documented case of a Glock going off from a drop, or any other documented case of a modern firearm discharging from a drop. Not that it cannot happen, as with any man made device it may fail.
    Every Glock owner will tell you the plastic sights suck big time. A Glock official told me one time that the reason they put those stupid and cheap sights on their firearms had something to do with some importation law. *shrugs* I didn't really follow his point when he said it and didn't care that much to continue to ask questions. Point being... whatever the price of the Glock you are buying is, add about $100 to put new sights on.

    Every LEO in the world will tell you that the moment you try to rack the slide one handed (against pocket, against heel of boot, etc.) that plastic sight will bust right off. Before a big debate ensues as to why one would rack their firearm with one hand, it is a drill performed by LEO's in case one of their arms becomes disabled and they need to rack their slide. I prefer doing this drill in a kneeling position against the heel of the boot to avoid pointing down my leg with the pocket technique.
    I'm not sure why plastic sights would matter for import, either. As far as I know, if a handgun receives a qualifying score on ATF Form 4590 it's eligible for import and I didn't see anything about sight material on there.

    Here's the link if you want to look at the form:

    http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5330-5.pdf

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Did anybody elese notice the vehicle debate that took place in the middle of this thread? Kinda funny...

    Hmm... I don't like Glocks. They don't fit my hands. The only Glock I've tried to like is my father's 9x19 G34, I like the long slide.

    I love my 2001 Toyota Tacoma, 4-door, SR5 4x4! I've gone places in that truck that'd make Fords & Chevys puke (j/k). It's a fantastic truck. I'm a terrible American... bummer.

    Funny thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTwoShure View Post
    I agree with the plastic issue and have in the past shopped for the Meprolite as are on my Kimbers but with my $$$$ issue now that my wife retired I am stuck with the ones I have. The older laser sight I have fits and I carry the Ultra carry CC close and tight, the M22 is in a fanny pack if and when I choose to carry this one. As to the debate of disabled rack and slide, thanks understand. I too would like to know why the import thing is even an issue, I think it is due to price not law.
    I just spoke with the Glock official I had mentioned and asked him again, this time actually listening to his answer. Apparently, due to price (as you stated) Glock wasn't going to furnish sights at all, since most police departments change them out anyway (police departments are a considerable percentage of their total sales). However, due to import laws of handguns and to sales laws of handguns, they have to have sights on their handguns in order to be sold in this country. Therefore, they put the cheapest ones they could find.
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 07-11-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: consider should have been "considerable"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I just spoke with the Glock official I had mentioned and asked him again, this time actually listening to his answer. Apparently, due to price (as you stated) Glock wasn't going to furnish sights at all, since most police departments change them out anyway (police departments are a consider percentage of their total sales). However, due to import laws of handguns and to sales laws of handguns, they have to have sights on their handguns in order to be sold in this country. Therefore, they put the cheapest ones they could find.
    Oh gee, how thoughtful of them. With that approach, I'm surprised they didn't just put a dab of hot glue on the muzzle and call it a bead sight.

  7. I always replace the stock sights anyways. I have my preference on sights I like, and keep an extra set or four on hand anyways, in case I buy another one or for some reason a set already installed fails. This way I can replace them in 5 minutes instead of a few days.

    Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Tricolor... for quite some time I have enjoyed your posts. However, I'm having a real tough time swallowing this one. First, if you can "slap" a firearm from your holster, you need a new holster. Second, you claim that the Glock went off three times every time it bounced. There are three safety features on a Glock, including a drop safety. It is impossible with the engineering of a Glock for it to discharge without the trigger being pulled. Therefore, no matter how hard it is dropped, the drop safety prevents the discharge. Please see this link for an animated illustration of how all three safety systems work:
    Our ?Safe Action? System. Always safe and always ready. | GLOCK USA

    Did you happen to do a trigger mod that would have rendered this safety mechanism useless?
    I said it went off a total of three times. And a swinging tree branch can slap it out of the holster. That's pretty much what it was considering that I was clearing downed trees...and no. No trigger mod. Maybe the tree broke it, i don't know. Just don't trust them anymore.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    It makes no sense to me that here we are, all Americans and yet some will arm themselves with Guns that are not Made In The USA.
    If the statement "Buy American" should begin anywhere it should be with our arms.
    Or buy german. German guns are almost perfect.

  10. #59
    Wolf_fire: Exactly. That's why they make different colored cars, clothes, toys, ad infinitum. But you don't see folks hating different colored cars. Lighten up people and buy what you want.
    Jim Page

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Siler City, North Carolina
    Posts
    64
    I've read a lot of the posts. One comment is if Glocks are so ugly then why does hollywood keep using them in all the movies ? Second, with the Gen 4 pistols most people should be able to adjust the grip to there liking. Third, granted the original sights are not that great, however it is easy to change them out. There's a couple of brands you can get for Glock. Also they're very dependable. I dropped mine on concrete once and it did not go off. When I seen my gun fall and hit that floor I was glad I had a Glock.
    Will Antico

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast