SAA for everyday carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SAA for everyday carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    You go right ahead and use your SAA in a life threatening situation where your technique goes to crap, where your aiming goes to crap and where then you have to use fine motor skills to reload your wheel gun.

If they are such great defensive weapons I'm sure every law enforcement agency and military unit would still be using them.

The 1890s are calling...

LOL
    Actually, 1870's. You seem anti revolver, perhaps you had some bad experience with one once, like completely miss the target. You stick to your glock. Maybe one day youll be able handle a gun like a grown up.

Btw, what will you do when all your mags fail or are empty, you ever try a combat reload first having to load the mag? Anyone with any real experience knows that its not that difficult to reload. That phrase is usually touted by internet commandos with little to no real world experience.

sent from my mobile using the mobile carry app

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    The gun that you should carry is the one that you have trained with, are confident with, and are accurate with. If anyone condemns you for your choice of carry, it is he that is the fool. Let us know how the new recoil feels after shortening that barrel. I, for one, am interested in hearing back.
    There wasn't much difference at all in the recoil after the shortening of the barrel in either .44 spl. or the magnum round. But wow, is the balance nice!

Before
    SAA for everyday carry?-th_ruger44.jpg

After
    SAA for everyday carry?-after.jpg

~ Fight Crime-Shoot Back ~
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

I won't bother to tick off the various combat pistol classes I've taken, you SAA fanatics would just dismiss them.

But.....

You are doing yourself and others an EXTREME disservice to encourage ANYONE to carry a SAA self-defence.

I concede that having some kind of gun is better than having none, but....

You have got to be a complete moron to think that a SAA revolver is the best choice for self-defense.

I suspect most people saying this have never had any legitimate professional training in combat pistol use.

So, you go right ahead and keep your cowboy pistol but do not for a moment think you are actually capable of defending yourself in any situation involving a real life threat with multiple threats.

That's why I again would simply say...please let me know the name of the funeral home where we should send flowers for your funeral.
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    There wasn't much difference at all in the recoil after the shortening of the barrel in either .44 spl. or the magnum round. But wow, is the balance nice!

You still with us Ringo? I thought you were declared a dead man walking 5 days ago. Thanks for saving me the cost of flowers.
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    I won't bother to tick off the various combat pistol classes I've taken, you SAA fanatics would just dismiss them.

But.....

You are doing yourself and others an EXTREME disservice to encourage ANYONE to carry a SAA self-defence.

I concede that having some kind of gun is better than having none, but....

You have got to be a complete moron to think that a SAA revolver is the best choice for self-defense.

I suspect most people saying this have never had any legitimate professional training in combat pistol use.

So, you go right ahead and keep your cowboy pistol but do not for a moment think you are actually capable of defending yourself in any situation involving a real life threat with multiple threats.

That's why I again would simply say...please let me know the name of the funeral home where we should send flowers for your funeral.

In the first place, I never said that a SAA revolver is the best choice for self-defense. I said that "I was raised with SAA revolvers since I was 10 years old, it's still my favorite handgun and favorite to carry. I also said that I know there are those who like to criticize my choice of SAA for carry/self defense, so let me assure everyone that I'm very confident, accustomed, and experienced with my choice". The 1911 was "another one" of the guns that I grew up with and it also became second nature to me. I own many guns today, 1911's, Glocks, and double & single action revolvers. Except for the Glocks, I've been shooting all of these guns for over 50 years (including military/infantry) and know beyond a doubt that I can defend myself with any one of them in any situation involving a real life threat, including the SAA. I live in a very quiet small town in the desert, so even the chance of those multiple threats of your inflated imagination happening here are a million to one. It was part of my real life experience and training that influenced my moving out of the big city jungle and into the desert. Guess you haven't reached the plan ahead level of your training yet. So let me know the name of the funeral home where I can send flowers for your funeral, living in the jungle subject to situations of high crime involving real life multiple threats, you'll most likely be cashing out long before me.
    Nuff said.
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

Before
    SAA for everyday carry?-th_ruger44.jpg

After
    SAA for everyday carry?-after.jpg

~ Fight Crime-Shoot Back ~
    Thanks for update on shortening your barrel and I'm glad to hear that the work came out great and that you are happy with the way it shoots. I don't know if you know this about me Ringo, but I am law enforcement trained and a Glock Armorer; I'm also a Range Officer for LE, and I'm training to be a firearms instructor for LE. The number one rule with any firearm's training is to know your weapon and be the best you can be with it. From your initial post, that is exactly what you have said you are doing with your weapon. I personally have seen old timers in LE with their grandfathered revolvers smoke the snot out of the Glock guys. I've also seen them reload faster than the Glock guys too. I can't explain it other than pure training and technique through the years. The more proficient you are with your weapon (any weapon), the more likely you are to walk away from a deadly situation rather than be carried away. Just as I wouldn't tell the old-timers that they need to switch to a Glock (this would require much time to unlearn old skills and relearn new ones), I would never tell you to switch your method of carry. You are trained in it, you are proficient in it... the worst thing that could happen is to put a semi-auto in your holster and have your learned muscle memory from a revolver play havoc with you in a life-or-death situation while grabbing for a semi-auto. Keep your SAA and love every minute of it.

Yes, a lot of this post was for Amsdorf.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

8. I am a huge fan of SA Revolvers. The only one I have at the mo is a Ruger single 6 convertible, and I miss my NM Super Blackhawk 44M. My wish list is NM Blackhawk, stainless, in .357 with 4 5/8 Barrel. They just fit the hand right, and I shoot them better than any auto I have ever owned. I have taken out two large beavers with my little single six (using Mag) with one shot each time.

Look, I am all for defense of self, family, and property, with lethal force. I believe it is a human right, not just a constitutional right. However, there are more reasons for guns than just shooting bad guys. I see so many posts by folk who are caught up in that mode only, and nothing else. For some it may be because that is all they CAN do where they live, but even Cop friends of mine enjoy plinking, hunting, competition shooting, etc. Everything is not just about blowing away rapists. ...although they need a good dose of lead for sure.
    Last edited by goodnews; 08-02-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Just felt I wanted to add it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Thanks for update on shortening your barrel and I'm glad to hear that the work came out great and that you are happy with the way it shoots. I don't know if you know this about me Ringo, but I am law enforcement trained and a Glock Armorer; I'm also a Range Officer for LE, and I'm training to be a firearms instructor for LE. The number one rule with any firearm's training is to know your weapon and be the best you can be with it. From your initial post, that is exactly what you have said you are doing with your weapon. I personally have seen old timers in LE with their grandfathered revolvers smoke the snot out of the Glock guys. I've also seen them reload faster than the Glock guys too. I can't explain it other than pure training and technique through the years. The more proficient you are with your weapon (any weapon), the more likely you are to walk away from a deadly situation rather than be carried away. Just as I wouldn't tell the old-timers that they need to switch to a Glock (this would require much time to unlearn old skills and relearn new ones), I would never tell you to switch your method of carry. You are trained in it, you are proficient in it... the worst thing that could happen is to put a semi-auto in your holster and have your learned muscle memory from a revolver play havoc with you in a life-or-death situation while grabbing for a semi-auto. Keep your SAA and love every minute of it.

Yes, a lot of this post was for Amsdorf.
    Thanks wolf_fire, yes, I'm very happy with the way it looks and shoots, and I couldn't agree with you more. There's only one thing that I feel I should clear up here. The SAA is my all time favorite handgun and I carry it because it "IS" my all time favorite. I'm not trapped in any time-warp, I'm a gun "lover", always have been. I'm just as experienced and proficient with 1911's, Glocks, and double action revolvers as I am with the SAA. My father was in LE, I was weened on guns. Guns to me are very simple to master and shooting is just plain fun. I don't have the drawbacks that Amsdorf implies simply because I happen to favor the SAA over other handguns. I don't know what Amsdorf's problem is here, just because he is brain dead when it comes to SAA revolvers doesn't mean everyone else is. I only shoot one bullet at a time regardless of it's capacity. I don't waste ammo and therefore I never shoot without having a visible open target. A really dumb argument, I should never have conversed with him, like I said in my OP,"I know there are those who like to criticize my choice of SAA for carry/self defense, so let me assure everyone that I'm very confident, accustomed, and experienced with my choice". My bad, I should never have ignored The Fool's Law..."Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience".
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

Quote Originally Posted by goodnews View Post
    I am a huge fan of SA Revolvers. The only one I have at the mo is a Ruger single 6 convertible, and I miss my NM Super Blackhawk 44M. My wish list is NM Blackhawk, stainless, in .357 with 4 5/8 Barrel. They just fit the hand right, and I shoot them better than any auto I have ever owned. I have taken out two large beavers with my little single six (using Mag) with one shot each time.

Look, I am all for defense of self, family, and property, with lethal force. I believe it is a human right, not just a constitutional right. However, there are more reasons for guns than just shooting bad guys. I see so many posts by folk who are caught up in that mode only, and nothing else. For some it may be because that is all they CAN do where they live, but even Cop friends of mine enjoy plinking, hunting, competition shooting, etc. Everything is not just about blowing away rapists. ...although they need a good dose of lead for sure.

Since the topic of this thread is SAA for every day carry, your comments really don't pertain.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

Thanks wolf_fire, yes, I'm very happy with the way it looks and shoots, and I couldn't agree with you more. There's only one thing that I feel I should clear up here. The SAA is my all time favorite handgun and I carry it because it "IS" my all time favorite. I'm not trapped in any time-warp, I'm a gun "lover", always have been. I'm just as experienced and proficient with 1911's, Glocks, and double action revolvers as I am with the SAA. My father was in LE, I was weened on guns. Guns to me are very simple to master and shooting is just plain fun. I don't have the drawbacks that Amsdorf implies simply because I happen to favor the SAA over other handguns. I don't know what Amsdorf's problem is here, just because he is brain dead when it comes to SAA revolvers doesn't mean everyone else is. I only shoot one bullet at a time regardless of it's capacity. I don't waste ammo and therefore I never shoot without having a visible open target. A really dumb argument, I should never have conversed with him, like I said in my OP,"I know there are those who like to criticize my choice of SAA for carry/self defense, so let me assure everyone that I'm very confident, accustomed, and experienced with my choice". My bad, I should never have ignored The Fool's Law..."Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience".

Typical response when you finally run out of any meaningful argument to support your choice of a SAA for self-defense.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast