SAA for everyday carry? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SAA for everyday carry?

And, after all, that's what it's all about, getting people to oooh and awwww at our cowboy guns.

I used to carry one of those when I was about seven years old, with caps.

Now I carry something I can use to defend my life and others effectively.

You boys keep playing Cowboy and Injuns, kind of cute.
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

3. Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    Sure when most other people you were facing were using SAA revolvers...

Ridiculous argument.
    I think you misunderstand the point I am trying to make. The human body hasn't changed since Old West times. A bullet from either a SAA or a pistol will have the same intended effect if it is on target. I am not saying that an SAA is the best weapon for self-defense. I personally would never carry one for self-defense. The point I am making is that it can still serve as a self-defense weapon. The most efficient or effective.....not at all.

If a weapon, regardless of what it is (gun, knife, etc.), can help ward off an attacker then it shouldn't be completely dismissed as ridiculous.

The point you are trying to make is totally stupid and has nothing to do with this topic, other than that, cool point!
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

5. TO SIRE AMSDORF: For the record how many rounds does your super duper hangamatic hold? and what caliber.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    I won't bother to tick off the various combat pistol classes I've taken, you SAA fanatics would just dismiss them.

But.....

You are doing yourself and others an EXTREME disservice to encourage ANYONE to carry a SAA self-defence.

I concede that having some kind of gun is better than having none, but....

You have got to be a complete moron to think that a SAA revolver is the best choice for self-defense.

I suspect most people saying this have never had any legitimate professional training in combat pistol use.

So, you go right ahead and keep your cowboy pistol but do not for a moment think you are actually capable of defending yourself in any situation involving a real life threat with multiple threats.

That's why I again would simply say...please let me know the name of the funeral home where we should send flowers for your funeral.
    So lets imagine for instance you have a 16 round 9mm. YOU indicate there will be multiple attackers so lets throw in 3 attackers. we must play fair and assume they each have the same skill level as you do. lets also assume these are legit criminals with a tech 9 each full auto they have bought through the black market. OK NOW. I assume the handgun training you have attended is as standardized as the ones we have all seen and most have been through. Primarily my point is a double tap in the chest with your semi auto. well the three attackers come around the corner catching you off guard. whip out their weapons and you pull yours and go for the one on the left closest to you intending to sweep to the right. well my good friend. while you were pulling your weapon so were the other 3 and while you were aiming at the one on the left so were the 3 aiming at you. and when you fired your first shot so did the other two you were not aiming at.

also on a side note. if you think about it, the auto rounds such as a 9mm, 10mm,and 40 with 16 shots with the double tap standard training equals 8 hits (IF YOU ACTUALLY HIT THEM) but double tapping with 45 long colt with a 300 grain is just silly.

and I shoot in sass competitions and have seen a 13 yr old that id bet the farm on he could hit six targets before you even got through with your first. fine motor skills my butt. go watch some bob munden videos boss

7. I believe the "real world" you are fantasizing over is on the front lines of a war zone. where you know your enemy and have a general idea where he will be and you are hopefully behind some form of cover. However, the rest of us are over here in reality where there is a small chance you will get in an altercation with a possible enemy. even then statistically it will be only one person and at an arms length. where you should have the weapon you are most comfortable with no matter what a "trainer" says. so please inform me why I need 16+ shots. is it so I can empty my mag and go to jail for homicide when the first shot was self defense?

please do America a favor and sale all of your firearms and stick to your xbox and call of duty

Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf
    What I've learned and what I like:

(1) The "best" handgun for self defense is the one you train with to become deadly accurate with at ranges from 10 to 30 feet away.

(2) The "best" handgun for self defense is the one you are going to carry.

(3) I prefer the Glock platform for SD, and here is why

- chamber a round and the Glock is "always on"
    - no safety to remember to disengage or engage
    - same trigger pull every single time
    - Accurate and reliable
    - higher capacity

I do not like SIGs due the lack of an external safety requiring you to use two trigger pulls moving from DA to SA. I do not like where SIG places the slide release. It causes me to adopt a grip that is not intuitive for me. I have to keep my right thumb out of the way and put it on my hand, instead of on the pistol.

If I use a DA/SA pistol, I prefer those with external safety that allows me to carry "cocked and locked" (HK and FN come to mind).

I like my Berettas, but the safety operation is opposite of every other handgun I use, "safety goes down to engage it, safety goes up to disengage."

It really comes down to what you finally find works BEST for YOU.

So, try as many handguns out as you can.
    This is from another thread.... So in other words, "it really comes down to what you finally found works BEST for YOU.... unless it's an SAA, because in your words only a moron would carry one of those." Is that correct Amsdorf? So in other words, in one thread, you will give good sound advice for people to try different weapons and become proficient with the one they prefer and works for them, but in this thread you belittle and demean that exact same ideology. Interesting. I will, from now on, always have a doubt as to your true meaning behind what you type in these forums.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Carry what you love and love what you carry, practice, practice, practice. Peace, love, Colt 45.

10. hey Ringo, I was wondering what holster you like to carry and what position. I have 2 matching case hardened frame 357 mags with 4.75" barrels and have been looking at the triple k #440. id love to open carry one of my saa since i shoot very often with them (sass) and have gotten very proficient em.

Quote Originally Posted by satilla308 View Post
    hey Ringo, I was wondering what holster you like to carry and what position. I have 2 matching case hardened frame 357 mags with 4.75" barrels and have been looking at the triple k #440. id love to open carry one of my saa since i shoot very often with them (sass) and have gotten very proficient em.
    For the majority of my guns I prefer leather, however, for the .44 I prefer Uncle Mikes "El Cheapo" (but strong) nylon. Taking into consideration the weight of the SAA in the .44 magnum, the "High Riding" nylon holster is extremely comfortable worn in the 3:30 position. Most people will criticize my choice in nylon, but in this particular case it works best for me.

SAA for everyday carry?-44-holster.jpg

~ FIGHT CRIME-SHOOT BACK ~
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast