SAA for everyday carry?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAA for everyday carry?

SAA for everyday carry?

I was raised with SAA revolvers since I was 10 years old, it's still my favorite handgun and favorite to carry. I have two SAA revolvers, a Ruger New Vaquero 4-5/8 inch in .38 spl/.357, and a very old mint condition Vaquero 7-1/2 inch in .44spl./magnum. The .44 is my favorite and I've been carrying it the majority of the time, only trouble is barrel length. I solved the problem today by leaving it with my local gunsmith to shorten the barrel to 4-5/8 and re-crown. Can't wait to get it back, it's got to be sweet. I know there are those who like to criticize my choice of SAA for carry/self defense, so let me assure everyone that I'm very confident, accustomed, and experienced with my choice. Curious as to if I'm the only one here to favor the SAA?
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

The gun that you should carry is the one that you have trained with, are confident with, and are accurate with. If anyone condemns you for your choice of carry, it is he that is the fool. Let us know how the new recoil feels after shortening that barrel. I, for one, am interested in hearing back.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I know a man who carries a bird's head gripped 3.5 inch barrel 44 SAA...shoots 44Specials.... While he can't 'empty' his weapon as quickly as a double action revolver or semi auto, he'll hit everything he shoots at, and can send follow-up shots faster than most shooters would believe. By the way, he carries IWB at 4 oclock or so (usually)...he also has a seat holster for in car carry...

That case hardened frame with deep blued barrel and cylinder and big bore hole at the end of the barrel is awesome looking....

A Ruger Single-Six would be my absolute favorite carry, but it's not possible in a hot climate. If there was a way, I'd do it, but all I can comfortably carry all day is either a snubbie or compact auto.

My BUG is a single-action NAA Mini... if that counts? Ringo, if you're confident in your abilities with a SAA... that's all that matters. Let us know about the test fire with the new barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I too love the Single Action. My current carry gun is the 3.5" Ruger New Vaquero "Sheriff's Model" in .44 Spl. Also have an older Vaquero 4 5/8 " .44 Mag. and the recoil isn't too bad though I use more Spl. ammo now in my retirement. Best of luck.

This is the "old" Vaquero with the 7-1/2 inch barrel. I will test fire a magnum round when I get it back just to compare recoil in different barrel lengths. However, my carry load will always be .44 spl.-240gr. HP thereafter.
    SAA for everyday carry?-th_ruger44.jpg

~Yesterday's Prophecies-Today's Headlines ~
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

I'm all about people carrying what THEY like, and not what's "cool". Last time I checked the ol' gunslingers had no issues getting them our and hitting what they were shooting at in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    I'm all about people carrying what THEY like, and not what's "cool". Last time I checked the ol' gunslingers had no issues getting them our and hitting what they were shooting at in a hurry!
    SAA revolvers are extremely accurate, they are also "natural' Point Shooters where timing ("in a hurry") and short distances of personal protection are vital.
    ~ GOD HATES RELIGION ~

Well, it's your funeral. Let us know where to send flowers.
    My YouTube gun and shooting channel: VDMA VIDEOS.
    Member of: NRA (Life/Endowment); GOA (Life); SAF (Life); NSSF (Media); NAGR; CCRTKBA

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast