Carry only one gun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry only one gun?

I currently carry one of two weapons. Bersa 9 double action/single action or a 45 long colt six shooter. I carry at 4 oclock or smart carry only. I got used to drawing the six shooter, which was my first carry gun, very efficiently. I'm so natural that the hammer goes back as the gun is on target almost instinctively and fast. For this reason, when I went for an Auto, I decided to get something with an external hammer config and double/single actioned. If I happen to pull the hammer back as I draw the auto, it just takes me into single action. But if I pull it will go boom no matter what. At least for me, the trick has been to practice long and hard with everything you want to carry. Each has its own draw and position, etc. I find that the brain naturally does the proper mechanical moves for whatever gun it is as it feels the grip, weight, and draw. Its like juggling, you can switch to a different pattern and the muscles adapt without you thinking because youve practiced that particular move along with every move over and over. Yeah Yeah I know someone will probably ring in about the six shooter, but honestly I'm faster and more accurate out of the sling with it and if I need more than 6 bullets I am in a heap of trouble anyways.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

3. I do not mix trigger types.

At work it's DAO, at home it's DAO. The difference for me is: At Work it's a "bottomfeeder" and At Home it's a Revolver about 90% of the time. The other 10% is a DAO "bottomfeeder".

Biker

4. I pretty much just carry either my RAMI or a Taurus model 85 Ultralite snubby. The RAMI can be shot DA for the first shot like a revolver and that's how I carry it. So, either way, my first shot is fairly similar (DA anyway).
    "Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

-LP

5. Forces of nature!

As I have gotten older, mother nature has played a cruel trick on me and changed the shape of my body. I carried a full size 357 Magnum concealed when I was younger and never had any problems. But now if I try to carry a large firearm it just pulls my pants down, and it is difficult to look menacing while trying to hold up your pants with one hand and draw with the other. Have had to switch to a Kel Tek 32, small light weight gun does not pull my pants down. Not the greatest solution, but it works for me.

Bug

I carry a 1911 in a cross draw--with an extra mag--and I'll bring along a Sig 232 in a right pocket holtser for BUG if I'm going into one of the tougher areas of the city.

Not too often

There were only a few occasions in a concentrated time period that I ever felt concerned enough to carry 2 guns at once. And, to be honest, I felt pretty stupid doing that. That thought came from thinking that if I ever got pulled over and had to identify that I was carrying two guns, the officer would be in a negative or hostile mood. Also, even though I was
    "concerned" it wasn't like I really anticipated having to go into a sustained firefight. My thought had been that the difficulty involved someone who knew I carried and if they went for the gun they knew about, it might be handy to have one that wasn't known.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

8. Just curious. Several people recently have mentioned the Kel Tec .32. Why not the .380?

Oh, forgot the BUG models

Oooops.

For BUG's I used my Sig P-230 (.380) originally and then picked up a Bersa .380 because that Sig bit me every time I fired the dang thing. Still have it because everyone tells me that you never give up on any Sig, but the Bersa worked a LOT better for me and had the same size/weight as the Sig. The Bersa was after the time period mentioned and mostly served as an alternative carry. As a BUG I just slipped the Sig loose into my pocket. I was intrigued by the comment someone else made about the ankle holster while driving though - makes sense.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Just curious. Several people recently have mentioned the Kel Tec .32. Why not the .380?
    While I own the .380, the .32 has its adherents. It holds one more round, has a reputation as being more reliable, and I seem to recall that the slide locks open after the last round (I am not at all sure I remember that right).

There are some people who claim that certain brands of .32 are just as dependable as the .380 in defense.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    While I own the .380, the .32 has its adherents. It holds one more round, has a reputation as being more reliable, and I seem to recall that the slide locks open after the last round (I am not at all sure I remember that right).

There are some people who claim that certain brands of .32 are just as dependable as the .380 in defense.
    The first rule in any gunfight, in case you've forgotten is: Have a gun.
    I have a wather PPK in .32 and it is reliable and accurate. Two very good points in it's favor. It is also very easy to conceal on my hip. I've recently acquired a Sig P225 in 9mm, and may start carrying it more. They are both DA, so there isn't much learning curve. I'd much more prefer carrying my .45 for the nice heavy bullet with the big thump when it hits, it just isn't as concealable as I like. JMHO
    Paddle Faster! I hear banjo music!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast