Carry only one gun?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry only one gun?

1. Carry only one gun?

On other threads I notice how with pride many mention the number of different guns they carry. And I mean different: configuration, controls, caliber, size, actions, and carry methods.

I have carried for 13 years, the last 12 in Thunderwear (The originator, before SmartCarry). Because of this carry method, I can carry the same gun (Kahr P40 w/backup mag) all the time, everywhere, no matter what my clothing or the time of year. I don't carry a BUG because I live in a low threat environment. If I needed to, I have a P-3AT in a leather pocket holster available.

While I have been through a progression of handguns to find what works best for me, I stick to carrying one at a time. I have a second of the exact same weapon at home.

I have never been in a gunfight. I guess I have to admit to being a 'net commando, but I do take carrying, practicing and educating myself seriously.

As I understand it, when the ballon goes up, automated training kicks in. The brain goes into a focused, lockdown mode of the most familiar and readily available knowledge. To me, this says if I carry different guns in different locations, my brain may be thinking one thing while I am actually needing to do another. I subscribe to KISS.

Obviously, many of the rest of you feel it is fine to carry a variety different guns in different locations on your body. This sometimes seems to be more for convenience than dedication.

Do any of you fear that you may grab for the 1911 on your hip only to find that you have the KT P-3AT in your pocket? How much might this delay you in a critical situation? Do you really have training impressed on your brain for three guns and three different methods of carry?

I know we all think we are very aware, and good at what we do, but making life saving decisions under real pressure is not something that allows for a lot of brain discussion on options. Memory/thinking tends to disappear and automatic reflex takes over. Which reflex training is going to take over for you?

I am not trying to trash everyone who carries differently than me. I am trying to start a discussion on real world carry methods and training that will work to save my life. BUGS training and carry are fair game too.

CB3
    Last edited by CB3; 10-10-2007 at 12:31 PM.

My financial situation dictates how many weapons I carry. Until I can spare the $800 for my dream (Sig 229), +tax, + holster, + extra mags.....I carry only one gun. When that magical day arrives, I'll carry two. I envision a left-handed cross-draw for my
    9000s, with my Sig riding on my right hip.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I am presently working my way back to a simple carry setup. I was once a fellow with a dozen handguns, and alternately carried them all. Bad for practice.

Now I'm down to 3 which I carry regularly, and my goal is to get down to 2... one BUG or deep concealment gun, and one premium service-size weapon.

I am leaning towards a Sig P220 Carry SAS and a Kel-Tec P3-AT. Mainly because I intend to acquire a Sig P220R Match SAO as a toy and HD pistol in 2008, and would like some parts, especially the magazines, to be interchangeable.

The snub-nose .38 I currently have will be relegated to a vehicle glove-box, and the only other revolver I might ever consider is a full-size .357mag, for ammo commonality with my lever-rifle. I love shooting revolvers, but they are awkward to carry.

5. My "Primary" is on my hip both On Duty and Off Duty. My BUG is in one of two places, support side pocket or ankle.

The reason I move the BUG is when I am sitting/driving it is easier to reach the BUG on my ankle. If I am walking around my BUG is in my pocket. I don't have to think about it too much. If my BUG is on my ankle I am in the truck or in a suit. When I'm wearing a suit I am sitting down for most of the day.

If my BUG is in my pocket that means that my support side hand is in my pocket 90% of the time with my hand on my gun. This is not because I perceive a threat but because I like to walk around with my hands in my pocket. :) It appears very "non-threatening".

Biker

I always carry a bug. Once I got into the habit it's hard to leave it behind...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

kt32 in pocket holster practice bug to bad guys mouth. most da with long triger pull are about the same as a revolvers 1911 is the easyist. most people I know carry on hip and bug somewhere. draw from retention alot shoot different weapons and try to really be close to the one you love

Quote Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
    On other threads I notice how with pride many mention the number of different guns they carry. And I mean different: configuration, controls, caliber, size, actions, and carry methods.

I have carried for 13 years, the last 12 in Thunderwear (The originator, before SmartCarry). Because of this carry method, I can carry the same gun (Kahr P40 w/backup mag) all the time, everywhere, no matter what my clothing or the time of year. I don't carry a BUG because I live in a low threat environment. If I needed to, I have a P-3AT in a leather pocket holster available.

While I have been through a progression of handguns to find what works best for me, I stick to carrying one at a time. I have a second of the exact same weapon at home.

I have never been in a gunfight. I guess I have to admit to being a 'net commando, but I do take carrying, practicing and educating myself seriously.

As I understand it, when the ballon goes up, automated training kicks in. The brain goes into a focused, lockdown mode of the most familiar and readily available knowledge. To me, this says if I carry different guns in different locations, my brain may be thinking one thing while I am actually needing to do another. I subscribe to KISS.

Obviously, many of the rest of you feel it is fine to carry a variety different guns in different locations on your body. This sometimes seems to be more for convenience than dedication.

Do any of you fear that you may grab for the 1911 on your hip only to find that you have the KT P-3AT in your pocket? How much might this delay you in a critical situation? Do you really have training impressed on your brain for three guns and three different methods of carry?

I know we all think we are very aware, and good at what we do, but making life saving decisions under real pressure is not something that allows for a lot of brain discussion on options. Memory/thinking tends to disappear and automatic reflex takes over. Which reflex training is going to take over for you?

I am not trying to trash everyone who carries differently than me. I am trying to start a discussion on real world carry methods and training that will work to save my life. BUGS training and carry are fair game too.

CB3

Anything I carry is always some type of DBL action so I don't think there is a problem. If I were mixing DBL action with something like a 1911 then perhaps that could be a problem.

I have two guns in my rotation. I never carry both at the same time. Use the 1911 during colder months when it is easier to conceal and the PT-111 during the summer.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I carry one gun and an extra magazine. I usually carry IWB at 4 o'clock. I am much more comforatble this way. There are times when it must stay concealed in a tucked shirt. I tried a tuckable holster and didn't feel comfortable with it. Therefore, I use a Smartcarry under these circumstances. I have also, like you, thought about being consistant with my carry. I will, therefore, not carry my 1911. I am used to double action pistols and I am afraid I will forget about the safety. This is not something I want to forget.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

11. I've settled down in my gun buying and I have a few different guns that I carry, mostly SIG P-220's but...

Three are the standard DA/SA version and two are DAKs.

I switch guns occasionally but when I decide to start carrying for instance the DAK after carrying the DA/SA models it's back to the range for orientation before I do.

I like to go through at least 100 rounds to re-train my muscle memory and re-familiarize myself with the trigger difference.

Back at home, I have some dummy rounds that are bright orange that I use for dry fire practice. I will do a lot of presentation and fire drills with them.

As for a BUG, I have a Glock 27 and a S&W 640. I rarely ever carry either of them but they do get to the range too about every third or fourth trip.
    Last edited by Sgt. SIG; 10-11-2007 at 12:39 PM.

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast