Glock Modifications to Lighten Weight

Thread: Glock Modifications to Lighten Weight

Glock Modifications to Lighten Weight

Has anyone gotten their Glock lightened by sending the slide out to be grooved and trimmed (rounded edges) to lighten the wight? If so, what affects did it have on recoil and accuracy? I have a Glock Model 22 and I have been thinking of sending it off to have this done, but the .40cal already recoils more than the .45 version and I am thinking that if I get it lightened, it might increase the recoil and force more control to be applied to compensate.

If you have post impressions and pictures and websites!

Examples I have been looking at:

Glock Shop ? Arsenal Democracy

Respectfully, that's not very wise. If the "weight" bothers you, why not just leave one round out of the magazine? That will "lighten" it more that allowing someone to "round the corners".
    G'Day and G'lock

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Tuckness View Post
    Has anyone gotten their Glock lightened by sending the slide out to be grooved and trimmed (rounded edges) to lighten the wight? If so, what affects did it have on recoil and accuracy? I have a Glock Model 22 and I have been thinking of sending it off to have this done, but the .40cal already recoils more than the .45 version and I am thinking that if I get it lightened, it might increase the recoil and force more control to be applied to compensate.

If you have post impressions and pictures and websites!

Examples I have been looking at:

Glock Shop ? Arsenal Democracy
    The Glocks are one of the lightest pistols out on the market. How is it too heavy that you would want someone machining your slide. I've shot all models of the .40 and .45ACP for Glock. You are correct, the .40's kick a bit more than the .45's. By lightening the pistol, it will kick more. In addition, you say you have the G22, how about trading it in for a G23? That will be lighter and it will only have 2 less shots in it (13 instead of 15, but you can always use the G22 mags in the G23, but not the reverse)? I've shot both, I like them both.

I also like Lowjiber's comment. The amount of work to the slide you are mentioning, will not reduce the weight all that much. I have seen custom slides with large holes bored into the sides of them that knock off a lot of weight. I believe a company called Zev makes these already done. Again, less weight, but more recoil.

As far as an effect on accuracy.. there will be none unless you anticipate the recoil.

In my opinion, don't have someone machine your slide.... if you truly want something even lighter than a G22, try someone's G23 and see if you like it. If so, trade it.

I forgot to mention... so I'm adding as an edit- check the warranty on your Glock... you may kill it by doing this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Purchase C models. Those four oblong holes reduce about a pound each. Lol

Ah.... people must tinker.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post

???? The glock 22 was just under 1.5 pounds unloaded. So explain how the compensator cuts reduce the weight by 4 pounds..

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    ???? The glock 22 was just under 1.5 pounds unloaded. So explain how the compensator cuts reduce the weight by 4 pounds..
    I always weigh my guns soaking wet. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I always weigh my guns soaking wet. Lol

Lol didn't realize steel and polymer soaked up so much water.

I get on the scale with my gun, and the Boxers hold a lot of water

what a bad suggestion! the C models or compensated "might" be ok for competitive shooting but they are terrible for SD shooting, the flash and smoke from the ports will hinder your ability to place follow up shots quickly