1911s - for carry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911s - for carry?

1911s - for carry?

Does anyone have any experience with Girsan Turkish Firearms? I found a Girsan 1911 that won a medal and looks nice, but worried about reliability. I've also been comparing the Springfield Mil Spec 1911 and the Springfield EMP, for carry purposes... benefits of the 3"? I already carry an XD 3" so thought a bit larger would be good.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!

3. Quote Originally Posted by MackTruck11 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Girsan Turkish Firearms? I found a Girsan 1911 that won a medal and looks nice, but worried about reliability. I've also been comparing the Springfield Mil Spec 1911 and the Springfield EMP, for carry purposes... benefits of the 3"? I already carry an XD 3" so thought a bit larger would be good.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!
    I have the Girsan 1911 and I love to shoot it. It is a great target gun but does not like hollow points and cannot be trusted as a carry gun. I carry 1.S&W Shield 40 2. Kara CW45 both work great.

I carry a RIA M1911A1 mil spec. Great gun but very picky on JHP. I have to make sure the rounds have nearly the same nose profile as a FMJ.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

Will need to look at sonething different if looking for .45, EMP only comes in .40 or 9mm.

sent from Drzzit's S4

6. I carry a Kimber Compact CDP that has had no issues with anything I've fed it. Most reliable and accurate handgun I've owned.

I have a RIA 1911A1 also, and have not had a problem at all with what ever I have fed it. Only about 500 rounds through it, and some of my reloads without a problem. It is a little heavy, but my wife doesn't mind shooting it and she has weak wrists and arthritis.
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

[QUOTE=ChDangerfield;456709]I carry a RIA M1911A1 mil spec. Great gun but very picky on JHP. I have to make sure the rounds have nearly the same nose profile as a FMJ.

That is exactly why I bought a 9mm Springfield EMP. This was even after I sent mine back to RI for them to "tune and polish" it so it WOULD feed the HPs.
    I want something that will eat 100% of anything I put in the magazine and the EMP does.
    My Colt Compact Officer in 45 does also.

My EDC is a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite 5" (1911 style) in .45 ACP. With Wilson 500 8-round mags, it'll eat anything I've ever shot. I'm tall (6'6") so a full-sized 1911 is a concealable option for me. YMMV. Regarding reliability, I'd bet my life on it ... and do.
    Dave

NRA Lifetime Member - NES Member - NFGA Member - SWCA Member

Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    I have a RIA 1911A1 also, and have not had a problem at all with what ever I have fed it. Only about 500 rounds through it, and some of my reloads without a problem. It is a little heavy, but my wife doesn't mind shooting it and she has weak wrists and arthritis.
    I used to use PMC Gold Star, but I tried to shoot them through the 1911 and a few rounds got slammed deeper in the case. I won't personally fire those kind of rounds. I have federal hydroshoc 165 gr. They also come in 230 gr.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

I am stuck in an electric wheel chair most of the time when I am out and about. Before the chair I carried a full size Kimber 1911 - 5". I am fairly large and easily covered it in a OWB, hi-ride, thumb snap, retention holster. This is just not a good carry method if confined in the chair especially with the arms of the chair so close to your body. I tried a shoulder holster but was not really happy with that much weight hanging from my shoulder. I finally settled on the same style of OWB but changed my carry piece to a Glock model 36 which is a .45 acp (holds 6+1 rounds, minus one round comparred to the standard 1911). The 36 is significantly smaller and ergonomically designed which makes it easy to conceal and easy to draw from a seated position. You really need to try on for yourself to understand. Give it a try, I think it is an excellent replacement for the 1911.
    Pi

A gun free zone is a free kill zone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast