Is the 1911 outdated???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the 1911 outdated???

Is the 1911 outdated???

I took some training a few weeks back and while at the class one of the guys was making the argument that the 1911 is old out of date technology. That I should switch to a new Tupperware higher capacity style piece. He said that the 1911's are more prone to malfunctions, Kimbers especially. So I thought this would be a good topic to talk about here. With all the new XDs, Glocks, M&Ps, ects coming out is the 1911 on its way out?

Oh by the way my Kimber ate 400 rounds one day and 300 round another without one issue. She did well. His M&P.... well, two double feeds that could not be cleared. After the second I asked if he'd like to use my Kimber. Lol
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I have 4 1911's, and I'm gonna order another one in a day or two. A couple of mine are Kimbers with over 4000 rounds thru them, with no issues at all.

Out of date technology ? Only viewed that way by those who don't have one..........
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

boyzoi Guest

Thumbs up

Classics never go out...........and as for being outdated, they are constantly being tweeked.
    anyone ever heard of Ithaca Gun Co......mine was my fathers and it has never missed a beat.

This instructor obviously didn't know what the hell he was talking about. There is a reason that the 1911 is the most imitated handgun design in the world, and it's surely not because it is an old, outdated design.

No I would not say it is out dated. I do think though that the DBL or DBL only is a better design. More user friendly. I have had a couple of 1911's over the years including a Colt Commander but I do prefer DBL or DBL only now.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I love my Kimber it's very accuate for a compact carry pistol, Fits my hand wonderfully, and yet to have a stopage. But I'd also like to get a full size XD or M&P. Both styles have there upside and downside and if either style is not properly maintained they'll all have there problems.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    This instructor obviously didn't know what the hell he was talking about. There is a reason that the 1911 is the most imitated handgun design in the world, and it's surely not because it is an old, outdated design.
    It wasn't the instructor it was one of the other guys taking the class. To each his own I guess. lol
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    It wasn't the instructor it was one of the other guys taking the class. To each his own I guess. lol
    All I can say is he is probably young and inexperienced. Limp wristing causes malfunctions. I bet he had a hard time hitting the target also. The 1911 will never be outdated. Like said above; it's the most imitated pistol in the world. You can get one in any price range, any style, double or single stack and in multiple calibers. It's simple in design and reliable. What else can you ask for? I love all of mine!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

10. If it is so outdated why is it the most copyed gun in the world.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

11. Hell yes just like the b52,just nothing better to replace it with. I only own 3 and all are 99.999% The reason I carry my plastic instead is weather and sratches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast