1911 7 round vs 8 round? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 7 round vs 8 round?

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Thanks for the link, I actually came across those this morning. Kimber's website isn't very phone friendly so I had to wait until I got on a computer.

But to clarify the magazine thing, so the dimensions of a 1911 that holds 7 rounds vs a 1911 that holds 8 are no different? And the differences lie in the design of the magazines?
    Yes, the only difference is the magazine. It's just a little longer. My 1911 has extended magwells so an 8rd mag sits flush. It needs a bumper pad for the 7 round mags.

any 1911 slide and barrel set up can be made to work on any 1911 frame. did you know that? you can mix and match those components to your heart's content, altho a bit of simple smithing might be needed. if you put a govt' model upper on a Commander or ACP frame, there's a gap where the recoil spring will show. if you put a govt model slide and barrel on a Commander, ACP or Defender frame, the slide stroke is about 1/8" longer, feels a bit strange, at first.

4. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I've got a Taurus 5" 1911 but I've been looking into getting a 4" for daily and possibly duty carry and I'd like to get one with a rail for a light. I think the Sig I've been looking at is an 8 round, but the Kimbers all say 7 round. Can you change out a 7 round 1911 with an 8 round magazine?

Also, while I'm here, I'll go ahead and ask about holsters. Most of the holsters I've looked at for 1911's say they won't fit Sigs, and I'm guessing it's because of the slightly different slide design. But does anybody know of any holsters at all for a 1911 with a light?
    You can get 10 rounders also, but they stick out a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try Alessi. They are custom made for all handguns and are top quality. The leadtime can be several months is the only downside: Alessigunholsters.com

6. Quote Originally Posted by bernardbarker View Post
    Try Alessi. They are custom made for all handguns and are top quality. The leadtime can be several months is the only downside: Alessigunholsters.com
    Thanks for the info.

If you are okay with a kydex holster, Raven Concealment Systems can make a holster for just about any pistol with a rail-mounted light.

Phantom Light Compatible Holster

I've had a Phantom model for several years. It's been excellent.

Andey,

I would advise against putting a light on the rail of your duty gun. You will need your light a lot and if you get used to using the light on your firearm, you will put yourself in situations where you will muzzle over things you don't wish to. It is much more advisable to try different techniques of flashlight carry with your firearm. This way you have control of your light and its direction and having it be separate from the direction of the firearm.

Three of the several techniques that they go over with us in firearms qualifications are the Chapman, Harries, and Rogers holds.

Here's a link of them and a few others: Handgun Flashlight Hold

Wolf
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

9. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Andey,

I would advise against putting a light on the rail of your duty gun. You will need your light a lot and if you get used to using the light on your firearm, you will put yourself in situations where you will muzzle over things you don't wish to. It is much more advisable to try different techniques of flashlight carry with your firearm. This way you have control of your light and its direction and having it be separate from the direction of the firearm.

Three of the several techniques that they go over with us in firearms qualifications are the Chapman, Harries, and Rogers holds.

Wolf
    You know I haven't even thought about that, but now that you mention it I'd almost rather rely on a flashlight. Damn wolf you may have just voided this entire thread! Haha

10. I still just don't get it. If all the dimensions are the same, why does Kimber still use 7 round mags when sig and springfield and others use 8 rounders now?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Andey,

Wolf
    I disagree with this. I carry both a flash light and a weapon light when on on duty. I would never in my life use my weapon as a flash light. But when I have to break leather, I want to have both hands securely on my weapon so I will holster my light if I have time or just drop it if I don't, and switch to my weapon light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast