1911 7 round vs 8 round?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 7 round vs 8 round?

1. 1911 7 round vs 8 round?

I've got a Taurus 5" 1911 but I've been looking into getting a 4" for daily and possibly duty carry and I'd like to get one with a rail for a light. I think the Sig I've been looking at is an 8 round, but the Kimbers all say 7 round. Can you change out a 7 round 1911 with an 8 round magazine?

Also, while I'm here, I'll go ahead and ask about holsters. Most of the holsters I've looked at for 1911's say they won't fit Sigs, and I'm guessing it's because of the slightly different slide design. But does anybody know of any holsters at all for a 1911 with a light?

1911 magazines are interchangeable and you can easily switch between the 7 and 8 rounders all though the 8 rounder will protrude a little further from the grip. Not sure about the holster question though, sorry.

4. Yeah it kinda sucks because all the reasonably priced 1911's I've found so far with a rail are 7 round, besides the Sigs which are all 8 round, however they have a different slide profile so none of the holsters I've found for a 1911 with a light will work on a Sig.

Not all the 8 round magazines will protrude. Chip McCormmic makes a really nice 8 round that fits flush.
    Get a custom made holster from either Kholster, Crossbreed or other custom holster maker.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Not all the 8 round magazines will protrude. Chip McCormmic makes a really nice 8 round that fits flush.
    Get a custom made holster from either Kholster, Crossbreed or other custom holster maker.
    Yeah I think I'm giving up on this for now. I'd rather have something like the Serpa holsters but they just don't exist. Oh well.

This is the NSA, and we approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Yeah I think I'm giving up on this for now. I'd rather have something like the Serpa holsters but they just don't exist. Oh well.

This is the NSA, and we approve this message.

Blackhawk makes Lvl 2 and Lvl light-bearing holsters for 1911s. Idk about the SIGs though. The caveat is that is has to be their light. Because of the serpa auto-lock design the light has to off set slightly to clear the button. On the upside I have one of their lights and I like it a lot.

Just buy a good mil-spec 1911. Lots for options for it. Fobus, and Safriland also make light bearing holsters for 1911s

8. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Blackhawk makes Lvl 2 and Lvl light-bearing holsters for 1911s. Idk about the SIGs though. The caveat is that is has to be their light. Because of the serpa auto-lock design the light has to off set slightly to clear the button. On the upside I have one of their lights and I like it a lot.

Just buy a good mil-spec 1911. Lots for options for it. Fobus, and Safriland also make light bearing holsters for 1911s
    Sigs have a different slide profile than standard 1911's. Also, I'm wanting a 4" (4.25) 1911 with a light rail and to my knowledge sig is the only ones that make that. Everyone else is 5". I checked safari land and some other places and no one sells one.

1911 7 round vs 8 round?

Like I said, IDK if the serpa will fit the sig but I'm pretty sure it'll fit a 4 in. My Lvl 3 serpa for my g23 also fits 22, 17s, and 19s. There's gotta be someone out there that makes a mil-spec 4" 1991 with a rail.

EDIT: In fact here:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/compact-ii-pro-carry-ii/pro-tle-ii-rl-ii

Don't know your opinion on kimber's but I love mine. That's just the first one I found I'm sure, other people make em too.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Like I said, IDK if the serpa will fit the sig but I'm pretty sure it'll fit a 4 in. My Lvl 3 serpa for my g23 also fits 22, 17s, and 19s. There's gotta be someone out there that makes a mil-spec 4" 1991 with a rail.

EDIT: In fact here:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/co...o-tle-ii-rl-ii

Don't know your opinion on kimber's but I love mine. That's just the first one I found I'm sure, other people make em too.
    Thanks for the link, I actually came across those this morning. Kimber's website isn't very phone friendly so I had to wait until I got on a computer.

But to clarify the magazine thing, so the dimensions of a 1911 that holds 7 rounds vs a 1911 that holds 8 are no different? And the differences lie in the design of the magazines?

11. Railed Commander Sized 1911's are out there

Para-USA Black-Ops Recon is a 4.25" railed gun, not sure if it's on the market yet or just begining production.
    STI Tactical SS is a 4" with rail.
    Springfield Lightweight Champion is a 4" with rail.

Not really interested in serpa style holsters myself so can't help you there.

Dimensionally speaking, unless it's a double stack "1911" there is no difference and in some case's the magazine isn't going to be any longer either though the mag spring can/will change.
    I believe Wilson makes (made?) a conversion kit for magazines to add an additional round (ie: 6 to 7 or 7 to 8) by changing the spring and follower in the mag housing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast