Buying a handgun out of state
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a handgun out of state

1. Buying a handgun out of state

I have been trying to buy a handgun for a while now.
    I have tried out a variety of guns and fell in love with a gun that my mother owns (she hates it).
    But, I have a problem.
    I am a Wyoming resident and she is a Colorado resident.
    How do I go about buying the handgun from her? What are the laws for transferring guns out of state?

Good luck... nobody in Colorado is currently sure how to sell a handgun to someone else from Colorado (at least, as far as I know. Everyone just complains for the most part). All those new laws and whatnot. Hope it doesn't have more than a 15 round magazine, since those are illegal now! I think here you'd have to find an FFL dealer willing to do it for you.

Maybe she could go to Wyoming and sell it to you there?
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Personal weapon belonging to your mom ask her if you can have it on a trip? Or is she wanting to sell it?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Personal weapon belonging to your mom ask her if you can have it on a trip? Or is she wanting to sell it?
    She is wanting to sell it.

6. Is it possible for her to sell it in Wyoming? Could we just do a bill of sale and call it good? Or would we have to find and FFL dealer or Pawn shop to go through?

Colorado requires an FFL and background check for any permanent transfer. A lot of gun shops don't want to do it, partly because they have to pay more then they're allowed to charge you, and partly because they're mad about that being the law. Most of the sheriffs out here also think it's ridiculous, so they probably wouldn't do anything about it. I'm certainly not saying to go sneaking around behind the law, because if any more liberals get voted in (unlikely given the current state of affairs, but anything's possible), your mom could have issues later down the road. Heck, why not call a sheriff's office in a rural county (hopefully your mother isn't in Denver or Boulder... you'd probably be screwed) and ask what you'd have to do in Colorado, and if your mom could sell it out of state without an issue?

I have no idea about Wyoming, but that might be your best bet.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Buying a handgun out of state

Its actually quite easy to do legally. Have your mother take it to an FFL dealer who will (for a fee) mail it to an FFL dealer in Wyoming who will effect the transfer paperwork (for a fee). Whatever other sales price is between you and the seller. The FFL dealers only effect the transfer not the sale.
    --
    --Firearms are necessary tools used to protect yourself and your loved ones!
    --

Are the police going to come to her house and check her inventory of guns? Does Wyoming make you register your guns and where you purchased them? Are you federally prohibited from owning a gun? If you answered NO to all of these, then here's a crazy idea. Why don't you give mom money and she gives you the gun and you both call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie View Post
    I have been trying to buy a handgun for a while now.
    I have tried out a variety of guns and fell in love with a gun that my mother owns (she hates it).
    But, I have a problem.
    I am a Wyoming resident and she is a Colorado resident.
    How do I go about buying the handgun from her? What are the laws for transferring guns out of state?
    Technically, she needs to have an FFL send it to an FFL in WY for you to pick it up once you've paid the original gun owner. You will then pay your FFL a transfer fee, they'll do the required background checks and then you can legally take possession of your handgun. Dagnabit I really hate writing that... "legally take possession", it just screams in the face of the Constitution.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

No person anywhere has to use an FFL to "transfer" a person to person, non-dealer gun. There is no such thing as "registration of ownership" in this country, except NY, DC & Cali possibly. Since your Mom is still alive she can just give it to you with no paperwork whatsoever. Solely for yours & her protection, some type of "Bill of Sale" stating date should be made. As long as you are not a "Prohibited" person, go get it, or have her bring it to you. You would have to use an FFL, on both ends, if she just wants to ship it to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast