.410 Derringers: The "Pocket Shotgun"

Thread: .410 Derringers: The "Pocket Shotgun"

Check out the "pocket shotgun" and make up your own mind, but I bet this thing kicks like a mule. I also bet it would put a real hurt on someone from point blank range, perhaps even a contact shot, because with only one round, you had better not miss.
    Double the fun: Heizer and DoubleTap making .410 derringers (VIDEO)

I looked into a derringer for my daughter but dismissed it because of the limited capacity. But they would be better than nothing!

4. Actually, the 410 from a short barrel has serious shortcomings in velocity, would only recommend 410 shot from a pistol for snakes, never any serious self defens from anything larger than a coyote , and only then with slugs. Youre better off loading 45 long colt in those chambered for 45/410

sent from my mobile using the USA CARRY 2.0 app

I saw these at a gun show I went to yesterday. My first thought was exactly what you just said cougar, this would be a great snake gun. I wouldn't trust it for anything else.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

6. I have a two-shot ADC M1 Derringer in 45 ACP. I got it for those times when I just can't fit a handgun in whatever I am wearing but feel I need something. I would only use it as a point-contact weapon since hitting anything with it seems to be more luck than anything. Recoil is pretty stout. The reason I selected the 45 ACP version was because in the short barrel that round will have more distance/time in the bore to gain velocity than most of the other calibers they offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I The reason I selected the 45 ACP version was because in the short barrel that round will have more distance/time in the bore to gain velocity than most of the other calibers they offered.
    I'm not sure if I completely understand what your'e saying here but if its that the .45 will be in contact with the barrel longer because it is a larger caliber, that is incorrect. Caliber is a measure of bullet diameter not of length or bearing surface which is the only variable in bullet design that will affect how long it will be in contact with the barrel. The bullets weight in any given caliber is what determines how long the bearing surface is, because for a given diameter the only way to increase the mass of a cylinder is to increase it's length.

And anyways, I think you may be thinking about this a bit counter-intuitively. If velocity is what you're after, weight is a much bigger factor than bearing surface and you'd be better off going with the lighter round.

If you want a pocket shotgun, by a Bond Arms double barreled Derringer. Available in 22 calibers with 16 different barrels. I have a Snake Slayer IV with the 4.25" 45LC/3"410 barrel. Recently added the Extended Rubber replacement Grip. Now it's only kicking like half a mule ;) Seriously, lots of fun and a nice close range SD carry gun with #4 Buck or 000 Buck with 3" shells. Or you could throw in a 300 grain 45LC Bear Load!! Easy to conceal in a vest pocket, camera bag, ankle holster or IWB and I imagine a purse would do well too. They also come in shorter barrel formats: 2.5", 3" and 3.5". Takes about 15 seconds to change out a barrel, the 22LR is fun and cheaper to shoot of course.

9. jcreek,
    What I was getting at is the fact that at the time ADC only offered these derringers with a 3 inch barrel - that is total including the chamber. So a 45 Colt, 44 Spl, 357 Mag - most for the major calibers they offered - put the bullet closer to the muzzle than the 45 ACP. So the 45 ACP gave the most performance, due to relatively longer useful barrel, with respect to its potential.
    They did come out with longer barrels later but didn't offer them when I was looking for this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    jcreek,
    What I was getting at is the fact that at the time ADC only offered these derringers with a 3 inch barrel - that is total including the chamber. So a 45 Colt, 44 Spl, 357 Mag - most for the major calibers they offered - put the bullet closer to the muzzle than the 45 ACP. So the 45 ACP gave the most performance, due to relatively longer useful barrel, with respect to its potential.
    They did come out with longer barrels later but didn't offer them when I was looking for this gun.
    Ahh, thx for the clarification, I see what you were getting at now. Nice choice BTW, just looked up the company and they look like nice little guns.