what caliber should I buy for home defense
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what caliber should I buy for home defense

1. what caliber should I buy for home defense

Just looking at the cost of ammo and the difficulty we're having ordering it in, here in Missouri, what would you all suggest is the most cost-effective, dependable (and ammo plentiful) type of handgun? I've owned 9's, 45's and 40's. Don't really have a favorite.

for pure home defense nothing can beat a 12 gauge shot gun.

Go to Walmart and see what is most abundant.

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

5. I was there today and only seen .40 and .45 they did have some SD in the 9mm but it was Federal 115 gr.

The best option would be a 12 gauge shotgun as previously stated but if you're looking for a weapon to serve dual purpose as both home defense and carry I would suggest a handgun chambered in 45 ACP. The larger profile of the 45 ACP round will provide for decreased penetration through walls and will punch plenty big enough holes in any intruder.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    The best option would be a 12 gauge shotgun as previously stated but if you're looking for a weapon to serve dual purpose as both home defense and carry I would suggest a handgun chambered in 45 ACP. The larger profile of the 45 ACP round will provide for decreased penetration through walls and will punch plenty big enough holes in any intruder.
    I was wondering about that, myself. Wasn't sure if 45 would be too large and would end up going through several walls in a single shot. Looked at one of those "Judge"s with the 45/410. Thought that might be just about perfect. I'm more of a semi-auto guy, but the versatility of that revolver has really got me thinking. Thanks for the info...

I think a 45 or 12 gauge shotgun are the perfect one two punch for home defense. That is what I plan to get for our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For info on wall penetration go to: The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1 and The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1 . There is little difference between 9mm, 45ACP and 00 Buck in penetration. All penetrate through 6+ wall sheets, i.e., through 3+ interior walls.

If you are considering the Judge, check this out:

Sweet! Those are some impressive bullets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Yeah, those bullet will rip you another b*** hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast