Ruger SR40c versus Glock 23 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR40c versus Glock 23

No person on earth can tell you if a Glock 23 would work well for you or not because what gun works for one person doesn't necessarily work well for the next. The exact same gun can feel completely different to two different people. You really need to find a G23 to shoot for yourself if at all possible.

As for 45 ACP vs. 40, I own more than one gun of both calibers. I don't necessarily find the recoil of the 40 to be stronger than the 45, but I find it to be more abrupt or more 'snappy'. That's not so much a matter of discomfort, but for me it has a significant impact on getting the gun back down on target for followup shots. That's not good in the tactics arena, so I don't carry any of my 40s anymore. I carry my G30SF almost exclusively now. It's a 45 and it holds 11 rounds if I use the standard magazine (10+1 in the pipe). I bought it after shooting a friend's and realizing it handled better that the 40 cal G27 I was carrying at the time. There is just no substitute for trying a gun out before buying it. I owned quite a few guns before ever picking up a Glock about three or four years ago. I own several Glocks now but I'll be the first to tell you that Glocks aren't for everybody. That's because no gun brand or gun model is for everybody. The 'gun for everybody' doesn't exist.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

My wife has a Ruger SR9C and, with my larger hands, I find it more difficult to handle than our Gen4 G19. My vote would be for a Gen4 G23 or maybe even a Gen4 G22 if you could conceal it. I _greatly_ prefer full-size guns :-)
    d( -.- )b

4. I carry 2 full sized guns all the time a G22 Gen4 and an XD45 4" all day long and nobody notices I have them on me ever and if it helps I'm only 6' and 187lbs and I don't wear baggy clothes either so if you are worried about concealing a full size then look into getting a good holster. Almost all the time a good quality holster will conceal it unless your a toothpick or you wear skinny jeans lol.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using USA Carry mobile app

5. I shot the SR40C better than my Glock 23. Same with the SR9C which I shoot better than my 19 even though their barrels are 1/2 inch shorter. As far as 45's my Glock 30S gets it done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    Hello all! I will soon be in the market for another handgun and am likely going to be taking the plunge into acquiring my first Glock. I already own a Ruger SR40c and find that the recoil of the 40 S&W round combined with a smaller grip (i have gorilla hands) makes the gun rather difficult for me to hold on to during rapid or rushed fire. Originally my intent was to go with a Glock 19 but I'm already heavily invested with some quality 40 S&W defensive ammo and would like to stick with the round if I could find it more manageable. Any Glock 23 owners out there who could chime in here and give me some general idea as to what I could expect from a Glock 23 and it's controllability?

I already own an M&P 45c (seems lighter recoiling than the SR40c) but would like a carry weapon with a few extra rounds (13 in the Glock 23). I do hear that the Glock 23 is of a similar size to the M&P 45c so I'm not too concerned about how well it would conceal. Anybody's input on the Glock 23 would be greatly appreciated.
    I have owned both the G23 and G22. I like them both. I have also shot the 9mm and .45 equivalents. I will have to say, between all six Glocks the .40 does have a more snappy recoil. But is it manageable? Absolutely.

The weight of the G23 is 23.65 oz. (unloaded) and the Ruger is 23.40 oz (unloaded). Without shooting the Ruger, with the weight being virtually the same, I would conclude the recoil would be very similar to the Glock. Now the G22 holds 15 rounds, and weighs in at 25.59 oz (8% heavier than the G23 and 9% heavier than the Ruger). Between the G23 and G22, the G22 does have a slight less recoil. It also has a sight line that is 1/2" longer.

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Have you considered a G22 instead? Not quite as easy to conceal, but could be better for you grip-wise.
    The G22 and the G23 have exactly the same grip with one exception, the G22 is about 1/2" longer. The widths are identical.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. I shoot my 27 fine and it conceals easily. However some friends find it too snappy. I allow them to shoot it with a 22 magazine and X-Grip. This gives it a full sized grip while maintaining the shorter slide plus 15 rounds instead of 9.

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his estate, his possessions are secure.

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.”

Stick with the Ruger. you are not getting any better firearm buy switching to glock.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

9. Lol

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his estate, his possessions are secure.

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.”

10. I use my g23 gen4for my edc and love it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

UPDATE:If you have GORILLA hands then a Glock might be right for you. I have an average size male hand. I carry a Ruger SR40C. recently I rented a G23 at a range and shot 50 rounds. I had to stop at about 30. The recoil on the G23 was hurting my hand. I have been shooting since Nov 2012 and started out on a Ruger (I am 64 now). I was never sensitive to recoil before. I am not going to put hate on Glock they are fantastic simple firearms. They are just not for ME !

There are many PROs to the Ruger the top of the list are the ergonomics, and their trigger (Smooth - good reset). You can carry in a very concealable 9+1 (Even using the pinky extension and then converting it to a 15 round night stand firearm).

The CONS are Manual safety, Disconnect safety (Really hate that one) and the spring when new is very hard to charge the slide, till it breaks in a bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast