Ruger SR40c versus Glock 23 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR40c versus Glock 23

Been carrying a Ruger SR9 for years. Have had no problems with it. Love the handling and feel. Tried Glocks and M&P, but bought the Ruger, Never been sorry. The Ruger SR series is a great stable of guns. Mine came with 2/ 17 round mags. I have since bought 2/ 10 round mags, just incase the law changes. If I carry all of them I am armed with 55 rounds, but usually carry 35.

I have carried a Glock 23 for quite some time without any problems. It isn't the smallest gun around but I have no trouble concealing it if I want. I am a big man and the gun fits my hands well but I also wanted something in 9mm. I found a Sig 2022 in 9mm which isn't any bigger to me than the Glock and immediately preferred it over the Glock for EDC. I bought it at an Academy Sports store on sale for $459.00. It came with a holster but only one magazine. While reading the owner's manual and registration document, I found that I was eligible to receive an additional two magazines and carry case as a free rebate offer. That's nice, the extra magazines are $40.00 each. I read the reviews about the 2022 before buying it and, as usual, there are those who love it and others who hate it. So far, I have only good words for it.

Attachment 12139

The Sig, Ruger, and Glock are all quality firearms, I have owned them all at one time or another, at present we have the Glocks, a 26, 19, 27, 23, and 31, I probably carry the 27 most, as it conceals better than the others, but I do alternate between them all, as I open carry the majority of the time,........go to a range rent them all, shoot them and pick you favorite,
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

I love the Glock 23 but, for as long as I have had it, I have been bothered by it having the trigger safety. I have seen examples on here of people being injured by NDs with them and they make a nasty wound. I just love to see a hammer on a gun and be able to feel comfortable. For all of the Glock's good points, that is something I have never quite gotten over. That is why I immediately took to the Sig but I will keep my Glock also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    UPDATE:If you have GORILLA hands then a Glock might be right for you. I have an average size male hand. I carry a Ruger SR40C. recently I rented a G23 at a range and shot 50 rounds. I had to stop at about 30. The recoil on the G23 was hurting my hand. I have been shooting since Nov 2012 and started out on a Ruger (I am 64 now). I was never sensitive to recoil before. I am not going to put hate on Glock they are fantastic simple firearms. They are just not for ME !

There are many PROs to the Ruger the top of the list are the ergonomics, and their trigger (Smooth - good reset). You can carry in a very concealable 9+1 (Even using the pinky extension and then converting it to a 15 round night stand firearm).

The CONS are Manual safety, Disconnect safety (Really hate that one) and the spring when new is very hard to charge the slide, till it breaks in a bit.
    I guess I am one of those with large hands and the Glock is very comfortable to hold. I am quite a bit older than you and have arthritis in my hands. That is another reason I trimmed down to a 9mm. It doesn't take many rounds before my thumb gives me fits and a slight reduction in recoil helps considerably. Getting old definitely has it's draw backs!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I guess I am one of those with large hands and the Glock is very comfortable to hold. I am quite a bit older than you and have arthritis in my hands. That is another reason I trimmed down to a 9mm. It doesn't take many rounds before my thumb gives me fits and a slight reduction in recoil helps considerably. Getting old definitely has it's draw backs!
    I am in the market for a second handgun. As much as i want to keep it .40S&W , I am thinking maybe it's time to lighten it up a bit and going 9mm. I recently gave a G23 a good tryout but, it really hurt my hand shooting it. My SR40C, no problem at all.

8. I sold my 40's and now only carry 9mm's or a 45 but felt the 23 Shield 40 and Sr40c were easy enough to shoot and we do have small hands. A little snappier than a 9 but OK to shoot. We shoot often and decided one caliber had to go and since our smaller carry guns are 9mm and we shoot our compact 45 so well the 40's were picked to go but not because we felt they were too snappy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I have carried a Glock 23 for quite some time without any problems. It isn't the smallest gun around but I have no trouble concealing it if I want. I am a big man and the gun fits my hands well but I also wanted something in 9mm. I found a Sig 2022 in 9mm which isn't any bigger to me than the Glock and immediately preferred it over the Glock for EDC. I bought it at an Academy Sports store on sale for $459.00. It came with a holster but only one magazine. While reading the owner's manual and registration document, I found that I was eligible to receive an additional two magazines and carry case as a free rebate offer. That's nice, the extra magazines are $40.00 each. I read the reviews about the 2022 before buying it and, as usual, there are those who love it and others who hate it. So far, I have only good words for it.
    Very nice. I have a Sig P229 that fits better in my hand that any other semi-auto I've ever held. I just wish it fired as well as my Glocks. I wonder if many people truly realize it when they've found the absolute best gun for themselves. Most never find it, but like you and I pick what's best for us out of what's there. But I'm betting most that do find that absolute best gun never actually realize it. And for those that truly DO realize it, I wonder how many of them realize what a true and rare gem they've actually found.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Howdy,

My EDC is a Glock 23. I've owned it since 2005 and have fired over 20,000 rounds of .40cal ammo through it without a hiccup.

Sorry, but I just don't get the " A .40S&W has too much recoil!"line of thinking.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

My EDC is a Glock 23. I've owned it since 2005 and have fired over 20,000 rounds of .40cal ammo through it without a hiccup.

Sorry, but I just don't get the " A .40S&W has too much recoil!"line of thinking.

Paul
    Obviously you haven't yet developed arthritis in your hands. Believe me, it can and will make a difference. You're lucky!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast