Revolver or Magazine for Carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver or Magazine for Carry?

Good. You're narrowing down your options. That's how you work your way down to your final decision.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I think the .357 would be too heavy and maybe over penetration that could hit someone behind. I am thinking a .45 would be better. A 9 mm is still in the running. First, I need to take a class so I can apply for the permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
    First, I need to take a class so I can apply for the permit.
    And for that.... I weep for you.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post

Yes. This per the WV law. One must take a safety class as a requirement to get a concealed carry permit. Experience does not cause it to be waved. I do think military people might be exempt.

No need for weeping as it is only $65 and is good for the first and any future permits. It is about four hours long and there is an instructor that is local and does it at 9:00 am and 3:00 pm every Saturday. He also does walk ins as there is no registration. I plan to do it this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post

Flag from revolutionary war :-)
    American flag :-)
    Confederate flag, no thanks I can live without slavery.
    That one flag is enough to kill any point you were trying to make.
    And I will take a modern semi over any revolver so that negates the 9mm versus 38 question.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

I think the .357 would be too heavy and maybe over penetration that could hit someone behind. I am thinking a .45 would be better. A 9 mm is still in the running. First, I need to take a class so I can apply for the permit.
    First, I would suggest you go to a range, rent a few guns, and see if you are even comfortable shooting a .45 or a .357, etc.. see what works for you before buying something you've never shot. That said, don't be so concerned with over-penetration from any handgun roound. Until you get into the .500 S&W or .454 Casull or .460 Rowland catagory, the terminal ballistics of most handguns are relatively similar and don't vary as greatly as you might think. Also, sometimes you may want a bit more punch behind a round, if you're dealing with barriers and not just someone 2 feet from you unobstructed. If someone innocent is directly behind your target, you won't be shooting anyway, so penetration isn't a big issue to me. You'll learn that in the "four basic rules of firearms safety" that you'll be required to memorize for your CPL.

Yes. This per the WV law. One must take a safety class as a requirement to get a concealed carry permit. Experience does not cause it to be waved. I do think military people might be exempt.

No need for weeping as it is only $65 and is good for the first and any future permits.
    I believe the point is was trying to make was that you feel you're required to get government permission to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, which by their very definition frame your God-given birthrights in a document that was written specifically to limit the power of government. This leads back to the mistaken belief of many people that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are a list of privileges granted to us by our government. I can relate to this feeling of frustration at local, state, and federal gun control laws.
    Robert A. Heinlein

My bold~n~blue

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Flag from revolutionary war :-)
    American flag :-)
    Confederate flag, no thanks I can live without slavery. Interesting, that the Rebel flag means only slavery to you... hmm. .

That one flag is enough to kill any point you were trying to make. Elaberate please....
    And I will take a modern semi over any revolver so that negates the 9mm versus 38 question.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    For me, understanding how wrong it was for humans to own other humans in that manner... for me, the Rebel flag represents States Rights more than slavery. I understand that slavery is wrong but, I despise the federal gov't deciding nearly anything. Should slavery have been abolished? ABSOLUTLEY! However, the "War of Northern Aggression" wasn't about slavery... it was about power. Slavery was merely a tool of war... if you read "Honest Abe's" own words (profiled & explained in Andrew Napolitano's book: Lies The Gov't Told You) you'll understand this.

I digress.... back to firearms talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    First, I would suggest you go to a range, rent a few guns, and see if you are even comfortable shooting a .45 or a .357, etc.. see what works for you before buying something you've never shot. That said, don't be so concerned with over-penetration from any handgun roound. Until you get into the .500 S&W or .454 Casull or .460 Rowland catagory, the terminal ballistics of most handguns are relatively similar and don't vary as greatly as you might think. Also, sometimes you may want a bit more punch behind a round, if you're dealing with barriers and not just someone 2 feet from you unobstructed. If someone innocent is directly behind your target, you won't be shooting anyway, so penetration isn't a big issue to me.
    There lies the problem. Of the ranges I know, none of them rent guns. I will ask the instructor if he knows of ranges that rent. As said before, my dad has all those calibers, except a .38 and 9 mm. I am sure he will let me borrow or shoot with him.

I do agree that I for one would not shoot where I could put an innocent bystander in harm.

Next option would be possibly finding a local gun club, and seeing if people would allow you to try their various guns just to get a feel of the recoil and what not.. offer to pay for the ammo, etc.. explain why you are asking, or make a trip to the next big city and call around to ranges to see if they rent.

As for the Confederate Flag, I still find it kind of funny that so many people are under the impression that the Civil War was in any way about slavery. It wasn't the reason for Sesession, nor the reason for the ensuing war. It was about government control and taxation. Oddly, not unlike the war for Independence, and the quiet war currently being fought by us against big government now.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Leaving for the required class.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast