Snub Nose Revolver??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub Nose Revolver???

I don't like short barrels either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a snub (1 7/8" or 2" bbl) don't waste your money shooting magnums. All you're getting out of it is more recoil and noise... neither one effects ballistics positively but, both can negatively effect your ability to put lead on target. Some of the "short barrel" loads help with this issue, just at a price and only marginally. You run into the same issue with any caliber, be it .380 or .40... but having to throw lead across a cylinder gap, the problem is magnified a bit. I suggest you get to the range and get-a-shootin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

4. I carry a snubby but also carry a 4" some of the time, depends on time of year, where I am going and what I will be doing. Regardless I carry a revolver, I guess I am just old school.

5. Another vote for the LCR 357 here. I love snubby revolvers. You can always carry 38+P in them if you don't want the extra kick and muzzle flash or choose a 357 designed for short barrels if you like. Anyone that says that the 357 in a snubby is a complete waste has not done enough ballistic research. There are rounds out there that outperform any 38+P you can put in it. Granted if you shoot someone at night in a confined space you better make sure you hit the target because you'll be blind and deaf for a while. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Anybody have any videos or reports on the ballistics of .357 in 2" vs 4" or something like that? I don't need anyone to go hunting for them... I'll do that eventually. My few quick searches have only turned up .357 vs .38 and stuff like that. It's mostly just curiosity... couldn't conceal a 4", and in my Rhino recoil isn't exactly a factor anyway. (Okay, so I really want a reason to go buy the 4" or 5" someday to hike with... )
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

7. Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Anybody have any videos or reports on the ballistics of .357 in 2" vs 4" or something like that? I don't need anyone to go hunting for them... I'll do that eventually. My few quick searches have only turned up .357 vs .38 and stuff like that. It's mostly just curiosity... couldn't conceal a 4", and in my Rhino recoil isn't exactly a factor anyway. (Okay, so I really want a reason to go buy the 4" or 5" someday to hike with... )
    Check out this you tube video. He uses a 2" barrel: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16m0jVAhBZ8

OP: mwhals -- Watch This Video and Make Up Your Own Mind...

I choose to shoot .38Spl in snubs. I'm not an expert, I have no certifications and there is no reason to believe what I say... For what I desire in a concealed carry piece, knowing what the stats say about what that scenario will look like and using my combat training and experience to feel confident in my choice of caliber/weapon... I know I can empty my cylinder on target faster than your average shooter, I go .38Spl.

To each his own...
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post

I choose to shoot .38Spl in snubs. I'm not an expert, I have no certifications and there is no reason to believe what I say... For what I desire in a concealed carry piece, knowing what the stats say about what that scenario will look like and using my combat training and experience to feel confident in my choice of caliber/weapon... I know I can empty my cylinder on target faster than your average shooter, I go .38Spl.

To each his own...
    What brand/type of 38 special ammo do you like for yours?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1299 View Post
    What brand/type of 38 special ammo do you like for yours?

Generally, I'll carry whatever LSWC I can find... if I'm in a pinch (for whatever reason) I'll carry LFP or LRN. From the data I've found, these loads can provide sufficient or near sufficient penetration (going for the FBI #s) with little chance of over penetration. Expansion is as expected from a solid... minimal. I'm of the mind that shot placement, not bullet design, wins a gunfight... so I don't worry about not having the latest wiz-bang JHPs. Yes, I understand how great modern JHPs can expand.

11. I have been carrying a .357 from EAA called the "Windicator". Its a German made, all steel, 2" barrel, 6-round powerhouse. It aint lightweight (about 24oz), which helps with the recoil, but it's lighter than my 1911. I carry it in a Don Hume pancake style owb holster with 2 speed loaders for backup. Awesome pistol at under $300.00

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast