Snub Nose Revolver??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snub Nose Revolver???

Check out the Ruger LC9. Much smaller/lighter. A little better stopping power than a .38.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I am considering the LC9, sp101, and equivalent Smith and Wessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my .38 LCR. Surprisingly accurate for me, and easy to carry. I'd love it if Ruger would come out with a .45 ACP or .44 Special version though.
    Snub Nose Revolver???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386817700.222001.jpgSnub Nose Revolver???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386817724.537920.jpg

After so much research my brain hurts, I carry a Ruger LCR.357mag/.38spl loaded with either Winchster PDX1 .38spl+P 130gr or CorBon DPX 110gr .357mag (when available). I respect the findings of M.Ayoob et al, with "actual" shootings as their basis, that a .357mag 110-125gr JHP cartridge from any of the major manufacturers is the most powerful, effective, proven, one shot man-stopper available today. With gel tests as most standards are considered, they mostly always confirm this position also. A good JHP .38spl+p 115-135gr is a close second, along with the similarly configured 9mm+P 110-135gr. I would trust any of those with my safety. Using a 5-Star Speedloader with same ammo for a reload, I never feel outgunned for most encounters. Take care and be safe.All above is IMHO.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill

The only benefit to a snub nose revolver (in my opinion) is that it's capable of being carried inside the pocket if you so wish where a longer barrel would be detrimental to that cause. The shorter barrel causes substantial loss of muzzle velocity and hinders accuracy to greatly to appeal much to me. I will admit though I have been considering a Ruger LCR 357.... for pocket carry as previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    The only benefit to a snub nose revolver (in my opinion) is that it's capable of being carried inside the pocket if you so wish where a longer barrel would be detrimental to that cause. The shorter barrel causes substantial loss of muzzle velocity and hinders accuracy to greatly to appeal much to me. I will admit though I have been considering a Ruger LCR 357.... for pocket carry as previously mentioned.
    That's interesting you say this about barrel length affecting accuracy. For the most part I would have to completely agree with you. Which is why, my experience to this day still baffles me. I have a S&W Model 637 CT. It has a 1 7/8" barrel. Yet this thing is a tack driver at 25 yards (3-4 inch groups on average)!! I don't get it. It's more accurate than most of my handguns. Who would've thunk?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

8. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    That's interesting you say this about barrel length affecting accuracy. For the most part I would have to completely agree with you. Which is why, my experience to this day still baffles me. I have a S&W Model 637 CT. It has a 1 7/8" barrel. Yet this thing is a tack driver at 25 yards (3-4 inch groups on average)!! I don't get it. It's more accurate than most of my handguns. Who would've thunk?
    There's a video on YouTube of a guy shooting the Ruger LCR 357 at 105 yards. He hits a steel gong every time. Not bad for a 1 7/8" 357 :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In my mind, a lot of the "barrel length jargon" affecting shot placement, or any other arguable point, is an excuse for poor marksmanship.
    Just saying.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill

Quote Originally Posted by RxDoc View Post
    In my mind, a lot of the "barrel length jargon" affecting shot placement, or any other arguable point, is an excuse for poor marksmanship.
    Just saying.
    There's actual physics that uphold the idea that barrel length will do two things:
    - increase the velocity of the round, and
    - if the barrel is straight, improve accuracy.

For the first part, when you increase the amount of time the built up gases are pushing the round forward, you increase the speed of the bullet. In other words if I push on you a little bit, you will accelerate a little bit. If I push on you for an extended time, then you will in turn be moving faster.

For the second part, if the round has some slight wobble in a long barrel, the barrel should straighten the bullets motion. In a short barrel, if the round is not going completely straight, you will have some slight wobble in flight. This is the reason why most short barreled handguns do not have near the accuracy as longer barreled counterparts.

However, if one needs an excuse for poor shooting, getting a short-barreled handgun and blaming it on it is a wonderful excuse. ;-)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

wolf_fire, Sir, you are very correct, albeit that info pertained to older model handguns per se. Today's handguns, with the superior (maybe) machinery and computerized construction, refined steel components, i.e.-stronger, precise, etc., finding a "crooked" barrel, even at 1.8in would be a rare occurrence. Also, new powder compositions for "short barrelled" firearms to compensate, giving comparable velocities to older formulas, are being promoted today. Therefore, today's shorter barrrelled handguns, IMHO, are much more accurate (proven by many, variable Vids on YT, and my actual experience with 2 SB handguns), and verifiable by the physics and logics stated by you above. Thank you!
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast