Sig P229 Stainless failure to feed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 Stainless failure to feed

dstryr Guest

Evening, all

Have had my new P229 Stainless Elite out 3x now, have run it wet, dry, in-between and am getting a high number of feed failures. Either the round appears to catch in the top of the breach and hang up on the way in or will not come out of the mag. If it might help, I can post several pics from different angles. I have used Federal 165gr RNFP, Freedom Munitions and some other rounds I've had for a while and get equal results with all rounds. Any of this stuff will go through my FNP40 all day long flawlessly. Today I ran probably 225 rounds through the Sig and had at least 20 feed issues. What do you think?
    Heck, here are the pics anyway:

Sig Photos by dstryr | Photobucket

Does your Failure to Feed, happen with all you mags? You do have more than 1 mag......right?

I usually have my mags numbered. If I have any function problems, I see if it the same mag that is the culprit. If the problem persists with each and every mag, I just eliminated one possibility.

Also does this occur on the first round in the stack? The last? or Various points?

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Evening, all

Have had my new P229 Stainless Elite out 3x now, have run it wet, dry, in-between and am getting a high number of feed failures. Either the round appears to catch in the top of the breach and hang up on the way in or will not come out of the mag. If it might help, I can post several pics from different angles. I have used Federal 165gr RNFP, Freedom Munitions and some other rounds I've had for a while and get equal results with all rounds. Any of this stuff will go through my FNP40 all day long flawlessly. Today I ran probably 225 rounds through the Sig and had at least 20 feed issues. What do you think?
    Heck, here are the pics anyway:

Sig Photos by dstryr | Photobucket
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

dstryr Guest
    Happens with both mags, also very randomly, most often in the first 6 to 8 rounds it seems. I am sure it happened at least 2 times immediately after the first shot today though most were further down the stack. I pulled 4 round that it happened with, one each 180gr Freedom Munitions RNFP and JHP, and 2 of the AE 165gr RNFPs. Once I had a few failures with one of the mags I switched to the other mag and had a similar number of failures in the 2nd.

Let's see; brand new gun, fails to feed from both mags.

Field strip it, clean out all grease. Properly lube/oil it.
    Try different ammo, even +P
    Make sure you're not limp writing.
    Have a more experienced shooter operate your firearm; see if same results.

Keep a written log.
    Call SIG; they'll tell you they never heard of the problem. All the manufacturers lie, they all say the same thing.
    Problem persists; request shipping return label & have them fix the problem.

After spending over $1,000 for a pistol, the gun should run like a fine watch.

Ohh one last thing; see if there is a lot of play between the locking block and the slide.
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

dstryr Guest
    Thanks for the checklist, Jesse.

-Stripped, cleaned, cleaned and cleaned before its first trip. I tend to run my pistols pretty wet and it cycles smoothly by hand, no hangup spots or binding.
    -Will try different ammo.
    -Will shoot another 100 and check myself on the grip, though I have 3500 rds plus through my 2 FNP40s and haven't had that issue. 40 is pretty snappy and you have to hold on. Will check myself though.
    -Will have another shooter shoot the gun also.
    -There is no play in the slide, it is tight.

Though I didn't absolutely need to, I sold one FNP40 to help fund this gun, am having seller's remorse. Should have kept the FN in spite of buying this.

Regards!

7. Let someone else shoot the gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

dstryr Guest
    I bought another couple of boxes of ball ammo and a box each of Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty. All had FTFs so I called Sig last Wednesday and had a FedEx call tag issued within 1/2 hour. Definitely the gun, not me or the ammo.

My way of doing things may or may not be the right way but that's what I do, a few years ago, after a couple of guns that had major issues, not cheap stuff, a Kimber and a Colt both 1911s, and trying to get them repaired, I have came to the conclusion that if I can not fix it myself, the gun in question would get sold or traded back, I never have bought into that 200-300 rds break in crap, so for a while now when I get a new gun, if it screws up right off the bat and after teardown, inspection and clean up, be sure nothing binding or jamming, if it still refuses to work its gone, most of the time for at least a small loss, with the Glocks its hardly ever a issue, but the short 1911s can be touchy, the Sigs, Springers, S&Ws and any other Glock clones should all run like butter if they do not they need to be gone, this is one thing that has kept me from a custom 1911, spend 2 or 3 weeks pay on a super nice gun, and when it screws up, you feel like the guy with the supermodel girlfriend that don't know what to do in the sack
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

I had the same problem with a brand new Sig 1911 Target. I wondered why such an expensive hand gun could be such a piece of crap. I was advised to try a magazine from Wilson Combat and that totally fixed the problem. I know carry 3 Wilson mags. Never had a problem since. I could see how the Sig mag design caused the problem comparing the two side by side and wondered why they would sell such junk with such a nice nice gun.

From what you say, you have a "stove pipe" situation. That's when the shell doesn't full eject and hags in the breach. This is often cause by the shooter not holding the gun secure enough. The torque of the recoil cause the gun to kick back as the shell is coming out of the breach and it will not clear. Make sure you have a good solid stance and keep your wrist very firm while firing. Problem may not be the gun. Also you may want to try different brands of ammo. Some guns just work better with certain ammo and you have to find the one that works best for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast