Choosing a 1911 to buy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a 1911 to buy

Choosing a 1911 to buy

I'd like to know what owners of 1911's would prefer as far as manufacturer and model. I'm interested in buying a custom 1911 .45, and I would like to know of good/bad experiences with them, specifically Sig Sauer GSR Revolutions. Any input would be great.

wolfhunter Guest
    Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, Sig, Para, it doesn't much matter beyond what feels right in your hand, features and quality being so closely matched. I wandered through several gun shows checking out a variety of .45s and was mildly surprised when I found the gun that "fit my hand" best was a Charles Daley Field model. That was 8 years ago, hundreds of rounds, and the only failures were due to weak side limp-wristing.

Since then, I've grown attached to Para's double-stack 1911's, the PXT and PXT LDA Hi Caps and the Hawg series Hi Caps.
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 10-23-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

4. I can only speck on my experience, I have the Kimber CDP Ultra Carry and love it. I feel it is one of the best 1911s out there. I like the way it feels in my hand and the way it shoots. But like was said, you need to look around and fine the one that fits you the best
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

boyzoi Guest
    I'm still a fan of Springfield Armory and Colt.........seems they've lost thier shine with all the others in the market these days but they still make one hell of a 1911!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, Sig, Para, it doesn't much matter beyond what feels right in your hand, features and quality being so closely matched. I wandered through several gun shows checking out a variety of .45s and was mildly surprised when I found the gun that "fit my hand" best was a Charles Daley Field model. That was 8 years ago, hundreds of rounds, and the only failures were due to weak side limp-wristing.

Since then, I've grown attached to Para's double-stack 1911's, the PXT and PXT LDA Hi Caps and the Hawg series Hi Caps.
    +1. I've also heard good things about STI and the Springfield EMP. I personally have a Kimber Ultra carry II and love it. I have yet to have a malfunction and I've run it through the ringer at a few tactical pistol classes. It's also amazing accurate for a compact pistol. Sorry I can not give you more info from the other brands.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Exclamation Taurus PT1911

The Taurus PT1911 is loaded with high end features for less than $700.00. If you are an a tight budget...(who ain't?), Consider the Taurus. My brother in law owns two Taurus pistols because of the quality and lifetime warranty. My next gun may be a Taurus...Kimber is just too expensive and Wilson Combat is just as spendy!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

My daily carry is a Kimber Ultra from custom shop. For full size Wolfhunter pretty well nailed it. But I do like Colt.

Springfield Armory

So, as far as people's experience is telling me, any gun that feels right will work. So money is the issue. That's one of the reasons I went with wanting a Sig, and not a Kimber. The Kimbers, so I'm told, are awesome guns, and beautiful by the way. And the colt and springfield are functional, inexpensive relatively speaking, but are not as pleasing to the eye. The Sig seems to be in the middle of the two: great quality, looks good, especially custom, and is only about $1100, versus $2500 I've seen for some Kimbers. Thanks everyone for the advice.

1911s

I love the kimber worrior. It handles nice very cofortable in the grips witch is good for me because i have small hands. Now I don't know what your price range is but I also like rock island and springfield is a pretty good modle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast