Finally Got The Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Finally Got The Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact!

  1. also....

    the slide also fails to stay open after the last shot about half the time just like Lugar says and also it does not go all the way forward when hitting the release.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm View Post
    Just opened mine out of the box new today - ran 200 rounds of remington 9mm. first 3 magazines were great - no problems. Then on the fourth magazine a black plastic pin fell out of the top of the grip and into my left hand while I was shooting. Thankfully I caught it and pushed it back in. I pushed it in extra hard and it seemed to snap into place tighter than before. I loaded another magazine. Then it jammed twice. Then towards the end it started jamming after every few shots. I am going to clean it thoroughly and try again with some more expensive ammo. The manual does not say anything about cleaning it before using for the first time. I expect I will have to send this back to Beretta which really sucks because I am leaving the country in a few weeks and this is the last thing I want to deal with after spending 600 bucks on a new pistol.
    Sounds like you didn't remove the packing grease from the gun prior to firing. I assume you may be having the same problem with another firearm because of that. Clean the gun(s) and mag(s) thoroughly and lightly apply some oil to the slide(s) and other friction areas, and be mindful of over-oiling; that can cause problems as well. Use a dry lube in the mags as well, wet lube attracts dirt/lint that can bind the mag spring. I'd be willing to bet your problems go away.

    If you expect all firearms to shoot out-of-the-box without cleaning like a Glock does, you will be plagued with problems for life. Most people I know that have had problems with new firearms didn't clean/lube them before firing them; after a good cleaning they ran fine.

    I have no idea why gun manuals don't recommend cleaning prior to the first time shooting, but I was always taught to do so before-hand and I've had very little problems with any and all guns I've owned.

    As for the pin falling out... That's not usually a good sign. Do you know which pin it was?

  4. Storm, I sent mine back to Beretta MD for repair about 1.5 weeks ago for the same issues. I'll let you know how it turns out.

  5. Good News

    I am happy to report that after a thorough cleaning I fired another 100 rounds through it with no problems. Well almost - on the very first magazine the slide did not stay open after the last round. But after that no jams and the slide stayed open every time. I like the way it shoots. So long as it doesnt jam I am happy. Thanks to Avail for your wisdom. This is my first pistol - only had revolvers up until now exactly for this reason. Ill be sure to clean em all out of the box even if it doesnt say so in the manual. I have talked to friends with glocks and also Springfield XD models and they didnt clean theirs out of the box either but they had no problems.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm View Post
    I am happy to report that after a thorough cleaning I fired another 100 rounds through it with no problems. Well almost - on the very first magazine the slide did not stay open after the last round. But after that no jams and the slide stayed open every time. I like the way it shoots. So long as it doesnt jam I am happy. Thanks to Avail for your wisdom. This is my first pistol - only had revolvers up until now exactly for this reason. Ill be sure to clean em all out of the box even if it doesnt say so in the manual. I have talked to friends with glocks and also Springfield XD models and they didnt clean theirs out of the box either but they had no problems.
    Make sure that magazine spring is in there correctly, that can cause it to bind up on the last round. Also, clean the crap out of them too, they can get all sorts of junk in there. Use only dry lube in the mags and you shouldn't have any more issues. If you do, then the magazine may be bad; only fix for that is to try swapping out springs or get a new mag. I bet cleaning out the mags will help a lot :)

    The packing grease is just to help prevent rust, nothing more. Its not a good lube; I've seen entirely too many people bind their new pea-shooters up because they didn't clean it off and properly lube the gun.

    I'm glad to hear your new PX4 is working better, just practice, practice, and practice some more, you'll get used to it soon enough

  7. #26

    Bereta PX4 Various Solutions

    This thread has been very interesting to me and other members I am sure. Here is the problem. Over and over again, we seem to be advised that the Beretta PX4SC needs break-in, cleaning, degreasing, checking for correct spring assembly, using only loads that it likes, add what ever else. Follow the various blogs and forums and you will read reviews that tout the PX4SC as trouble free out of the box or nothing but trouble from day one.

    So how do I or any future buyer that wants to rely without doubt on a firearm in the ultimate defensive situation feel secure with this handgun? Don't get me wrong here. I really like this pistol and almost purchased it last month. I am really looking for the that comfort factor.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by timusp40 View Post
    This thread has been very interesting to me and other members I am sure. Here is the problem. Over and over again, we seem to be advised that the Beretta PX4SC needs break-in, cleaning, degreasing, checking for correct spring assembly, using only loads that it likes, add what ever else. Follow the various blogs and forums and you will read reviews that tout the PX4SC as trouble free out of the box or nothing but trouble from day one.

    So how do I or any future buyer that wants to rely without doubt on a firearm in the ultimate defensive situation feel secure with this handgun? Don't get me wrong here. I really like this pistol and almost purchased it last month. I am really looking for the that comfort factor.
    I've found in my experiences with them that they like to be clean. Shooting them out-of-the-box isn't a good idea IMO; it causes jams, misfeeds, stovepipes, etc... The packing grease is NOT lube (not sure if I can beat that to death anymore...)

    The tolerances on Berettas seem to be a bit tighter, that's why I think people that shoot XDs and Glocks right away without a thorough cleaning rarely have problems, but I have seen the same issues with those handguns as well. Think Colt AR-15 vs AK47; pretty much everyone knows the bare bones AR likes lube and cleanliness (along with the M16s) while you can drop an AK in the sand, drag it behind a camel, drop a deuce on it and it'll still fire first shot. Do that with an AR and its unlikely it'll fire like the AK will. That doesn't mean the AR is inferior, just means it likes to be clean (not talking stopping power or anything in this comparison) Keep it clean and lubed, along with good serviceable mags, and its unlikely you'll have a problem.

    All my Berettas have functioned flawlessly after 500 rounds 'break-in'. This is all by my preference; I do it with all my firearms before judging them. Yes I've had some (minor) issues with my Berettas, but I've had issues with other guns as well; 90% me getting 'used' to it, 9% mags and 1% pure bad luck, IMO. After the 500 rounds all my Berettas work flawlessly.

    Even a Glock kicked my ass once; kept jamming, misfeeding, and all around just not firing. The problem was a dirty mag/gun; the owner had never cleaned the gun (ever) and was about to send it back in to Glock for a defective gun. 15 min of detail cleaning and she was back poking holes in paper.

  9. px4 Storm SC; lube not the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avail View Post
    I've found in my experiences with them that they like to be clean. Shooting them out-of-the-box isn't a good idea IMO; it causes jams, misfeeds, stovepipes, etc... The packing grease is NOT lube (not sure if I can beat that to death anymore...)
    ....
    I cleaned and oiled my gun thoroughly before firing the first round. I made sure there was no grease and that all moving parts and the rails were lubed. I understand that most guns need a break-in period, but I don't think it should be over 200, maximum 300 rounds. I'd rather have the gun "broken in" back at Beretta, since I don't want to be guessing whether or not it's broken in enough when my, or somebody else's life may be on the line. I understand that my issues could, theoretically, go away after a longer break-in period, but I just wasn't willing to compromise and see if they do.
    Two more things that I didn't mention in the previous posts.
    - After firing +P rounds I found a tiny knick in the barrel. Not sure if it affected accuracy, nevertheless it was there.
    - After about 300 rounds finish on the back of the slide (the serrated part of it) started to come off, which was a real surprise to me - I don't have steel fingers that would scratch it, didn't drop the gun and was very careful with it overall.
    I would expect a Beretta to have less issues, since they try to position themselves alongside Glock, XD, Walther, etc.

  10. Well, I just received my firearm back and I have to say that I am very upset. In the box was a packing slip that lists a few tests that were performed on the firearm. Here is what was typed on the packing slip verbatim:

    "Precheck & Safety Check"

    "Inspected & Gaged the pistol, found no mechanical problems."

    "Function check with dummy ammo with no malfunctions."

    "52rds Black Hills 115gr JHP, encountered no malfunctions in the cycle of operation. We can not duplicate the customers complaint, also we do not carry any of the ammo used by the customer. Perhaps the customer might want to change ammo."

    Well! I guess they got me there. I have only had the malfunction with three very commonly used brands of ammunition. And honestly, I only live like two hours from the Maryland repair center. I would have driven the ammunition down there for them. So, basically I'm left with a broken gun and a loss of the $35 it cost me to send it to them.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by LugerHP View Post
    I cleaned and oiled my gun thoroughly before firing the first round. I made sure there was no grease and that all moving parts and the rails were lubed. I understand that most guns need a break-in period, but I don't think it should be over 200, maximum 300 rounds. I'd rather have the gun "broken in" back at Beretta, since I don't want to be guessing whether or not it's broken in enough when my, or somebody else's life may be on the line. I understand that my issues could, theoretically, go away after a longer break-in period, but I just wasn't willing to compromise and see if they do.
    Two more things that I didn't mention in the previous posts.
    - After firing +P rounds I found a tiny knick in the barrel. Not sure if it affected accuracy, nevertheless it was there.
    - After about 300 rounds finish on the back of the slide (the serrated part of it) started to come off, which was a real surprise to me - I don't have steel fingers that would scratch it, didn't drop the gun and was very careful with it overall.
    I would expect a Beretta to have less issues, since they try to position themselves alongside Glock, XD, Walther, etc.
    I don't know for sure with the PX4SC, but I'm not sure +P is recommended for use in it.

    The finish wearing off under normal use is definitely an issue; I'd send it back for warranty issues there. I've shot all my Berettas a lot more then you have and mine still look basically BNIB (aside from some normal wear on the barrels) While it was back at Beretta I'd have them do a good look over to make sure you weren't having any mag issues (which is sort of sounded like when I read your previous posts) You may have gotten a lemon as well... Unfortunately.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast