Pistol - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol

Are you certian that the gun is a Smith & Wesson? I'm no expert on the break top models, but the trigger, sideplate and grip contour don't look right for it to be a S&W. Also, S&W is well known for properly marking their products where as this gun has little or no markings. There does appear to be what's left of a trademark on the right side just above the grip. But I can't quite make it out. Could this gun have been refinished resulting in destroying the original markings?
    Bear in mind that in the early 20th century S&W was having major problems with many Spainish companies illegally copying their designs. The copies were sold all over Europe. Quality ranged from very good to outright junk.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Are you certian that the gun is a Smith & Wesson? I'm no expert on the break top models, but the trigger, sideplate and grip contour don't look right for it to be a S&W. Also, S&W is well known for properly marking their products where as this gun has little or no markings. There does appear to be what's left of a trademark on the right side just above the grip. But I can't quite make it out. Could this gun have been refinished resulting in destroying the original markings?
    Bear in mind that in the early 20th century S&W was having major problems with many Spainish companies illegally copying their designs. The copies were sold all over Europe. Quality ranged from very good to outright junk.
    Actually, I was thinking it looks very similar to my IverJohnson, but there appears to be a section of frame showing behind the grip panels. I think one poster asked about this possibly being a grip safety. Please compare to the break top in my album.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberRB View Post
    HK I was about to ask the same thing.
    Me too. I like that design. Do you plan to shoot it, or just keep it as a collector's item?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12