Seeking Opinions on Taurus and SCCY - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Opinions on Taurus and SCCY

1. Bofh, thank you for your answer. How many rounds have you run through your TCP?

As for the .380 ACP debate, I went into this believing that it was too weak and had intended for us all to get 9mms. After a lot of research, I feel that it is an adequate round for self defense. I hope my wife ends up choosing 9mm just for the fact that we will save enough in ammo to buy those fancy guns you are talking about. My wife is already comfortable with her mother's Sig P238, but there is a good chance that the the polymer .380s will have enough recoil to steer her away from .380s.

She wants a small, lightweight handgun to carry in her purse. I know my wife and if I tell her that a pocket .380 is not the right gun and badger her into a larger, heavier 9mm. She'll end up leaving it in her nightstand and not carrying it. It has to be her decision to choose a 9mm. That said, if she did choose the TCP and changed her mind, I'd keep it as a summer carry/backup for myself, even if it is pink. The bad thing is the range doesn't have a TCP in their rental stable, but they do have the LCP which is a similar size and weight.

The range does have a SCCY in their rental stable and I may not like the recoil or the trigger when I fire it, but until then I'm trying to learn all I can about it. I like the feel of the SCCY in my hand and if I do like the way it fires, it will be what I will be buying unless I read something that changes my mind. What that might be, I'm not sure. Hence my search for others experiences with SCCY.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
    Bofh, thank you for your answer. How many rounds have you run through your TCP?
    About 2,500, I think. That's a guess and not accurate counting. It could easily be 1,000 rounds higher, but not lower.

RolandD I have a PT709 Slim and I carried it for a while. I have three issues with it. First, it did not like certain training rounds (although it feed every type of hollow point I fed it). Second, they have a poor finish which was worn off in short order (carried IWB during the summer). And, third, magazines are hard to find at normal prices. They are only selling the gun (last I heard) with one magazine. Replacements on eBay are in the $90 range. Just something to consider. Probably have up to a 1000 rounds through mine.

I have only fired one mid-sized SCCY and it seemed like a well functioning gun, so my experience is less.

I have been looking at the TCP for my wife and possibly for my daughters to carry. What are the number of reasons you don't recommend the TCP?
    I had a TCP that I bought as a BUG - reliable for a while then problems. Ejector broke. They fixed. Barrel lug broke, replacement barrel would not fit pistol, finally they had it for 3 months then sent a new one which I promptly sold to buy a Glock 42 for my wife. Once you return it a few times, you have paid enough to replace it. Had a friend who had one that had problems from the beginning and was replaced then sold.

In both .380 and 9mm, I would go Glock - but that's just me since I own a 17, 19, 26, and 42. Have considered G43 for a BUG.

I would not go Taurus. Wife used to carry Keltec P3AT - has always been reliable if ugly. Harsh to shoot compared to the G42. That is my unofficial BUG at the moment.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

6. Thank you. This is the type of information I'm looking for. The unavailablity of magazines at a reasonable price is definitely something that crosses the 709 off my list. A quick search did turn up two online retailers that claim to have them in stock. Tombstone Tactical for $33.92 and Dowdle Sports for $42.95. Has there always been a shortage, or is this just recent?

Edit: It appears that Hi Point magazines will fit.

7. The LGS that has the TCP is a Davidson's dealer so I would have their warranty backing it up also, but constant issues are enough steer away.

The LGS that has the TCP is a Davidson's dealer so I would have their warranty backing it up also, but constant issues are enough steer away.
    Lifetime warranties are great - Taurus has one, too. But even Davidson's warranty notes "... pay for the return shipping." I never paid to repair it, just to ship it to them. That is the catch - shipping a firearm is not cheap.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

How I determine if it is a good gun.......does it go bang every time I pull the trigger? I don't care what a gun looks like or who made it. If you put 300 rounds through it and it goes bang every round it is a good gun. I own only two pistols, a Bersa Thunder .32 acp and a Kel Tec P-32 .32 acp. These are not real expensive guns, but the Bersa has 900 flawless rounds thru it since I bought it, the Kel Tec has 600 flawless rounds thru it.
    These are good guns, I have no doubt that when I pull the trigger these guns will go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    How I determine if it is a good gun.......does it go bang every time I pull the trigger? I don't care what a gun looks like or who made it. If you put 300 rounds through it and it goes bang every round it is a good gun. I own only two pistols, a Bersa Thunder .32 acp and a Kel Tec P-32 .32 acp. These are not real expensive guns, but the Bersa has 900 flawless rounds thru it since I bought it, the Kel Tec has 600 flawless rounds thru it.
    These are good guns, I have no doubt that when I pull the trigger these guns will go bang.
    Let's ignore for the moment the .32 ACP nonsense and that Bersa hasn't produced the Thunder in .32 ACP for a number of years, some may consider the Bersa Thunder in .380 ACP an option. It is a copy of the Walther PPK in .380 ACP. It is heavy, which means it is able to absorb recoil. However, it needs to be heavy as it is a pure blowback gun and does not have a locked breech mechanism.

As for caliber discussion, there is already a thread with cluznar's opinions and fairy tales.

I owned a Sccy. It was the first model they came out with. It was reliable and went bang every time with round nose and HP's. My only issue was with the safety. Sometimes but not every time mind you, the safety would click back on. The it wouldn't go bang until you turned the safety back off. This happened only when shooting HP ammo as it was a little hotter than range ammo. The safety was backwards in my opinion. Sccy said send them back and they would fix the safety so that would not happen again. I sent mine in and it was returned to me in about two weeks. They paid return shipping. It was a nice gun for the price and no other malfunctions other than the safety selector. Accuracy was on par for a gun of that size. The safety selector issue I believe has been fixed on the gen 2 models. I traded mine for a Sub2k a few years ago. If your budget allows for a Glock 43 then that is the one I would go with.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast