What a find,Type I Polish Radom P-35 - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What a find,Type I Polish Radom P-35

1. To Pugster. I thank you for the info, it is very useful to me. No I don’t have a holster but a friend of mine has one. He got it with a P35 late war produced in Steyr Factory. The pistol is in decent condition, most of the blue is worn out but the holster is in very good condition. Black holster with an extra clip. Is your holster black or brown? I was looking at a brown one on e-bay for about $75.

It's hard to say whether my holster is black or brown. Inside it looks black, but out in the sun, it looks a bit brownish. Considering its over 60 years old, I suspect it was black originally. It is in surprisingly good shape.
    Don't know how far back you may have read in this series of comments, but if you haven't, look back to my post No. 22 of 15 Mar on page 3. Interesting historical note about the P35 Vis.
    Also, don't know if you noticed, but on the bottom of the barrel in front of the lug, there should be a number stamped - 8.81 or 8.82 or 8.83, etc - that's the inside diameter of the barrel in mm. Mine is an 8.82.

4. German holsters were brown until 1942 and in 1943 holsters and belts changed to black. A lot of brown holster were died black over it. That could be the reason why you might have a brown sheen on your holster and if your holster and P35 came together and you have an early WWII pistol, it would explain that the SS who had it, died it black.
    Yes by the way I read the comments from the beginning, that's what made me sign in to the group. For the diameter of the barrel, I'll let you know when I'll pull it out next time.

I talked to my contact at the gun show today. He and another individual are co-authoring a book on the P-35. As far as your 3 digit P-35 he confirmed Pugster's theory that they were the ones in production when occupied. After the low serial number run they went to the Letter prefix. He also agrees that the types are for the Nazi production only. The Polish P-35 is considered a separate class of weapon from the Nazi P-35. So I'm going with Type one for my P-35. I have no idea when the book will be finished or when it will be available. At least it will be two books to one as far as types go.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

P35 history

Gents, here's another little factoid I found on the Fabryka Broni website - it was pretty much hidden away and I had to work over the English a bit (left mostly unchanged), but the message is clear.

"On January 1st, 1939, 4.635 people were working at the FB Weapon Factory. During time of War and German occupation, the factory worked under German supervision on three-shift system. Civil production was cancelled, focusing on production of VIS pistols. A group of workers from the Weapon Factory was strictly cooperating with Armed Fight Union (resistance), delivering parts of guns for the “underground” partisan soldiers. Because of that on October 16th, 1942, in front of the factory building, German soldiers hanged 15 workers in front of eyes of all working people."

See pic below...

P35 Radom again

Question for J Connery... I meant to ask, but forgot... your P35 doesn't have an "M" stamped below the German eagle does it? Of the first 10 or 12 thousand produced (with number only SNs) somewhere around 4500 went to the Kriegsmarine (German Navy) and many of those went to the submariners. As you probably know, the vast majority of the Germans subs reside on the ocean floor these days and consequently, P35s with Navy markings are even more rare. Just a thought...

8. To Pugster....About my P35 barrel, it is marked with 8.82. About the letter under the German eagle...I was'nt sure what it meant, but yes I do have a ''M'' under the German eagle. So you are saying that my P35 is one of the Kriegsmarine's ....Thank you for the info.

Radom P35

J Connery - just came from the barn and saw your post. Give me until later tonite or tomorrow and I'll send the info regarding the Navy P35.... one more question - does yours have an "N" stamped on the front grip strap below the trigger guard? If you have an "M" under the German eagle, then the Eagle must be larger than on the non-Navy P35. One of the worries is that the Kriegsmarine version is one of the most counterfeited because it is not that difficult to stamp an "M" under the eagle. The test is whether the eagle is bigger than on the normal version - it should be. Can you take a pic and post it? Good fun, huh??

P35 Kriegsmarine version

J Connery – OK, I had to look up the info regarding the Navy version of the P35. My two references (Lapin and Berger) are more or less consistent regarding the Kriegsmarine version.
    Of the first approx 10,000 P35s produced with numeric SNs, the Kriegsmarine took 4500. They took another 6000 the following year and as far as is known, there are no Kriegsmarine versions with SNs above Axxxx. The U-boat crews got preference over the rest of the Navy, presumably because they were having successes while the surface ships like Bismarck were being shot to bits by the Brits or scuttled by their own crew as in the case of the Graf Spee (the last part of that sentence starting with “presumably” is my theory only). I’m assuming your P35 with 3 digit SN is one of the 4500 (reasonable assumption). The distinguishing marks of the Navy version are the Hoheitsabzeichen (national emblem – eagle over swastika) stamped on the left side of the FRAME (as opposed to other versions on which it is stamped on the SLIDE) and there is an “M” stamped below the Hoheitsabzeichen for “Marine”. Also, the eagle/swastika stamp is slightly larger than on the other versions. Look at the photos of RedHat’s nice P35 on page 1 of this thread and note the height of eagle/swastika stamp is slightly less than the digits of the Patent Nr. The eagle/swastika stamp on the M version should be slightly bigger… a hard judgment to make unless you have one of each in your hands I think. It is reported, but uncertain, that a relatively small number (1000) of M version P35s were stamped with an “N” on the front grip strap which is thought to indicate “Nordsee Flotte” (North Sea Fleet) headquartered at Wilhelmshaven which was a major U-boat base. So the logic is that most early M version P35s went to Wilhelmshaven where there were many U-boats and because many, many U-boats were lost (something like 1150), the M version of the P35 is really rare. Berger mentions that the M version often has a blued barrel and may not have the lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip. I think you said your barrel was not blue (OK, not all were), but you didn’t mention the lanyard ring.
    I’ll correct what I said the other day when I said your “numbers only” low SN P35 is rare. I would say now it is very rare…. Just my opinion for what its worth…

Another Radom,

Hello to all. My Radom was recently given to me after the passing of my father-in-law. I believe this unit was built in Austria as the serial number starts with T5XXX. It also has all 3 levers on the left hand side of the gun. The barrel number is 623 with all serial numbers matching as well.

My father-in-law was a 2nd Lt when the war ended. I think he was a navigator in one of the bombers and remember him saying he brought this gun home from the war.

Thank you for bearing with me.

Best to all,

kenf

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast