Handgun Researching....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Researching....

Anchorage, AK formerly of SF, Kommiefornia

Handgun Researching....

Merry Christmas! I hope it is a good one for all of you.

I'd like to start my search for a handgun. I know what I want, but want opinions on brands. I want a 1911, .45 caliber. Stainless steel and it has to be ambidextrous, as I am a lefty.

My dream pistol is a Wilson Combat Protector in all stainless steel. However it is pretty steep. I can afford it but it is very expensive compared to most other pistols.

I'm also considering the Colt XSE Series, specifically the O1070XSE (the stainless steel 5" 1911).

What I'm hoping to find out is, is it worth it to get a high end gun like a Wilson? If not what are other good brands? I'm not interested in Springfield's line of products, as I heard their stuff is made in Brazil and has had some quality control problems.

So what say ye?

Thanks, and again, Merry Christmas!

3. Handgun researching

You need to do a little more research than listening to people who do not know wherefore they speak. The Springfield line is made in Croatia, not Brazil, and I have not heard of any quality problems. In fact, I read about a writer who decided to put the Springfield (I don't remember which model) through the same torture test that Glock uses, and the pistol, bought off the shelf, so it wasn't hand-built, passed with flying colors. You could do a lot worse than the Springfield, and you can get one for about a third of what a re-worked 1911 will run you. I have the XD-45 and it can only be considered ambidextrous. It has no frame mounted safety, the magazine release works from both sides, and there is no hammer to get caught in anything. It has a loaded chamber indicator and a cocked striker indicator that are both tactile as well as visual. Add to that the 13+1 capacity and all the goodies that come with the pistol, and IMHO, you can't beat it.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I'd buy the Wilson that you mentioned. If it truly is your dream pistol, you'll buy it one of these days. Might as well go for it.

The phrase "if you buy quality, it only hurts once" can also be worded "if you buy what you really want, it only hurts once".

There are plenty of brands and models to consider, but I wouldn't rate any of them better than a Wilson. Some of them are equal though, like Les Baer, Vickers, Nighthawk and more.

I believe the most bang for the buck 1911 is the Taurus, which is ambidextrous and available in 2 stainless steel models.

Have fun.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

I agree with Darrell......

If you can afford it, it is best to go with the one that you really love. One issue that you might consider, however, is whether this will be your everyday "carry gun". I have shot a couple of Wilson 1911. They shot sweeeeet , but both were heavy and seemed to be just a smidge "off" in regards to balance.

You might consider a Kimber, since you are looking at dropping a few bucks. I have recently shot one of the "Ultra Carry II" 1911's, and it felt great. I checked into it, and they have a stainless version. If I could have a nice 1911 without worrying about bucks, Kimber is probably the way I would lean.

Of course, if you want something cheap (but good quality) you can't go wrong with one of the Taurus 1911's. Personally, I would rather see you go with a Kimber, Colt, or Wilson because they are all made in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Happy shopping!

P.S. get it while you can. Our soon-to-be next president has an itch to eliminate handguns post-haste.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    You need to do a little more research than listening to people who do not know wherefore they speak. The Springfield line is made in Croatia, not Brazil, and I have not heard of any quality problems. In fact, I read about a writer who decided to put the Springfield (I don't remember which model) through the same torture test that Glock uses, and the pistol, bought off the shelf, so it wasn't hand-built, passed with flying colors. You could do a lot worse than the Springfield, and you can get one for about a third of what a re-worked 1911 will run you. I have the XD-45 and it can only be considered ambidextrous. It has no frame mounted safety, the magazine release works from both sides, and there is no hammer to get caught in anything. It has a loaded chamber indicator and a cocked striker indicator that are both tactile as well as visual. Add to that the 13+1 capacity and all the goodies that come with the pistol, and IMHO, you can't beat it.
    I won't argue with you that the XD-45 isn't a fine pistol, but it's not a 1911. To answer his question, either would be a good choice, although I personally would go with the Wilson.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Anchorage, AK formerly of SF, Kommiefornia
    Another thing I've been courious about is 4.25" verses the full size 5".

Obviously there's less weight, but what are some other advantages and disadvantages?

And yes, I'd make it my everyday carry gun. It'd also be my do-all gun, which I forgot to mention in my original post. Might try out bullseye shooting, and maybe compete in a few IDPA competitions.

I have a question about the grips on this gun:

Are those G10 grips? If so, I've heard they're uncomfortable to shoot without gloves on. Is that true?
    Last edited by Jason762; 12-26-2008 at 02:00 PM.

wolfhunter Guest
    Shorter barrel would be slightly more concealable, but possibly with slightly lower muzzle velocity.
    Longer barrel should provide longer sight radius and slightly higher muzzle velocity.
    Longer barrel/extra weight should also soak up some recoil.

Since O was elected, I can't find an arms dealer with what I want in stock. I am looking for the Kel Tec PF9. I also noticed that the Kel Tec P3AT has also in short supply.

Where Can I go to find the PF9 which would be my first Concealed Carry weapon.?

Luke S.

Where Can I go to find the PF9 which would be my first Concealed Carry weapon.?
    I just checked Gunbroker.com and there are 5 of them listed for sale. One of them is closing in 22 minutes, just in case you're currently online.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Like was said in the other post, take a look at Kimber. Made in the USA and a damn fine shooter. Very accurate right out of the box. I have two and neither are really broke in yet and they are very smooth. If they don't have a stock model with all the bells and whistles you want they have a custom shop that can fix you up.

I'm sure Wilson is a fantastic gun, but for me, I couldn't justify the price tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast