Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap

1. Funny thing is, is I like hi-cap as much as the next guy and I know that hi quality 9mm ammo is great stuff. But I never feel as "secure" as when I'm carryin my .44 magnum. One thing that I do do though is I carry reloads - I know the liability argument, but how are they gonna know that they were reloads anyway? Anyway, I load em just short of the speed of sound. That way I am not so worried about my ear drums, the recoil is NO problem, and they still have WAY MORE whoop ass than any +P .45 ACP made. So thats what I am happiest carrying. There is something else too - when I was a boy and my father took me out rabbit hunting, he started me out with a single shot shotgun. That way I knew that that shot had to count. If he had started me out with a semi auto I might have relied more on quantity over quality. Likewise, I am not comfortable with the idea of throwing lead around everywhere on a city street somewhere. I wouldnt mind carrying my XDm as a back up though, you know, in case 24 robbers come knockin at my door.
    Keep those comments coming! I always like to hear what works for the other guy.

This is exactly why you should either be carrying a couple of speedloaders or a BUG. Since I'm pretty sure there aren't very many pocket or ankle guns available in .44 magnum, the speedloaders are probably better for you.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I carry both. As a usala thing I carry a 4" or even a 6.5 inch 44 mag. I do security work at church, and the director is an ex cop who knows nothing of ballistics. He has ragged me so much about the "over penetration" of my 44 magnum that i eventually bought a Cz75 b. It is a 16+ 1 9mm. I feel a lot more confident in my ability to hit with the magnum. With 180 grain hollow points it will only penetrate about 12 inches, much less than a 357 Sig, all the rage for local LE. I bought the Cz because they are renowned for accuracy, and because they point well for me. I can't convince MR. LAw Dog that it is really more dangerous than the magnum, but At least I got him to SHUT UP! I neede some king of semi auto for teaching my CCW classes anyway.Short answer? Capacity is a non issue. No one is going to let you shoot them, or shoot at them 17 times. Power is almost a non issue. I still want all I can get. Accuracy? You can't get enough of it. And I mean both kinds. "POIntability", and intristic accuracy. Carry what you hit the very best and fastest with.

Capacity is a non issue. No one is going to let you shoot them, or shoot at them 17 times.
    I am not to sure about that. The following was posted on another thread. Sometimes both capacity and size are not enough. The main advantage I see to high cap. is if you are facing multiple threats. What is the saying? No one ever died from having to much ammo

Officer Down - The Peter Soulis Incident
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. 20 rounds of 9mm or 6 of .44...a Glock 20 will give you 16 rounds of 10mm. Why go to either extreme when you can go to both?

I seem to remember that most confrontations follow the rule of 3: 3 shots, 3 yards, 3 seconds. By that, any carry piece holding 4 or more rounds should suffice. The only scenario I see where capacity trumps power is when you are against an armed adversary and have to use covering fire to keep him down. Then again, you could argue that a heavier caliber would allow you to shoot through whatever he's hiding behind instead of pinning him down.

Whatever you choose, keep it practical. Find something you're comfortable with and practice with it as frequently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Capacity is a non issue. No one is going to let you shoot them, or shoot at them 17 times.
    I am not to sure about that. The following was posted on another thread. Sometimes both capacity and size are not enough. The main advantage I see to high cap. is if you are facing multiple threats. What is the saying? No one ever died from having to much ammo

Officer Down - The Peter Soulis Incident
    Good point HK. That's why I carry 46 rounds of 180 gr. Remington Golden Sabers at work. I'd rather have more than I need than need more than I have any day.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I personally favor a large caliber such as the .45 acp. I carry a high capacity 45 with 13 +1. But I also depends on the situation, event, outing. I will carry a High Standard Crusader Compact .45 with 3.5" barrel with 7 +1 if out on the town with a date and dressed up. But carry the high capacity if I know I am in a bad area of town. So I guess I just consider the environment before I go.

People seem to forget that for decades police departments carried revolvers with only 5 or 6 round capacity. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45. For the record, I carry the old and slow .45 acp, but 13 +1 round capacity.

10. Well the way I look at it you can carry 19 rounds if you want but if you can't hit your target they aren't going to do you any good anyway. Also, you start spraying lead around there is a greater chance of an innocent taking a round not intended for them. You guys will probably think I'm crazy but I carry my BFR in 45/70, it holds 5 rounds of which one round will put just about anything down for good that walks, crawls, or flys. Dave

but I carry my BFR in 45/70, it holds 5 rounds of which one round will put just about anything down for good that walks, crawls, or flys. Dave
    Concealed?!!
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast