Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap

1. Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap

Hello everyone,
    Well I'm new here and for my first post I would like to solicit your opinions on something.
    Just so you know, I am not new to handguns or concealed carry.
    I just like to tumble the "what ifs" a lot in my mind.

This question is about concealed carry.

What do you feel is the way to go - a hi-cap pistol (lets say a 20 round 9mm Springfield XDM) or a heavy hitter that holds less rounds (lets say a S&W 629 .44 Magnum)

Please lets not get into revolver vs semi and lets also not consider pistol size.

Thanks

Get what you can most effectively use

Quote Originally Posted by But If Not View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Well I'm new here and for my first post I would like to solicit your opinions on something.
    Just so you know, I am not new to handguns or concealed carry.
    I just like to tumble the "what ifs" a lot in my mind.

This question is about concealed carry.

What do you feel is the way to go - a hi-cap pistol (lets say a 20 round 9mm Springfield XDM) or a heavy hitter that holds less rounds (lets say a S&W 629 .44 Magnum)

Please lets not get into revolver vs semi and lets also not consider pistol size.

Thanks
    I carry a H&K USP45 fullsize...but I am a big guy. 12 Rnds of 45ACP + 1 in the tube. A decent enough compromise of speed, power and capacity.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

We all have and opinion on this like most things. I opt for 9mm with a lot of rounds.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

It depends on the situation. If I were going to be in an area where it's likely I'll run into predatory animals (like bears, mountain lions, etc), I'd go with a larger caliber. My usual carry gun is .40 s&w. It has enough knockdown power to drop medium sized agressive animals (like a coyote or mountain lion), and standard capacity magazine is 13 rounds. Being that I live in PRHI, most of my magazines are 10 rounds. The 13 round magazines are only for when I'm traveling outside of PRHI.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

boyzoi Guest
    My carry is the XD9,16+1.......heavy hollow-points.
    I just like having the extra just in case I miss.
    Oh....welcome to the site!!!

I live in the grand state of Kalifornia so there are no high capacity pistols. So I like a .45 or .40 and several magazines.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Cool Big caliber lots of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    We all have and opinion on this like most things. I opt for 9mm with a lot of rounds.
    The FNP45 I carry is 14 round in the magazine 1 in the chamber with another mag in my pocket (I prefer not to carry it in a mag pouch on my belt.) Now that is about all of the fire power that I think I might need in a fast and furious fight.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    It depends on the situation. If I were going to be in an area where it's likely I'll run into predatory animals (like bears, mountain lions, etc), I'd go with a larger caliber. My usual carry gun is .40 s&w. It has enough knockdown power to drop medium sized agressive animals (like a coyote or mountain lion), and standard capacity magazine is 13 rounds. Being that I live in PRHI, most of my magazines are 10 rounds. The 13 round magazines are only for when I'm traveling outside of PRHI.

gf
    A carry gun in PRHI? Since when?

Anyway, as for the original poster, I would suggest that whether you carry a large or small caliber, having extra ammo on hand (either an extra magazine or two or an extra speedloader or two) should be your answer to having both a heavy hitter and lots of rounds available.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    A carry gun in PRHI? Since when?
    GF open carries in his yard plus he's mentioned that he has been given temp PRHI CCWs for executive protection assignments. The executive would shell out a few grand for him to have a CCW for a couple of weeks. PRHI is probably not much different than the other may issue jurisdictions such as PRMD, PRNJ and PRNY(C). Plus he also has several States for traveling purposes.

I would carry a large bore .44 during the colder months or when I'm in areas dealing with medium to large game. I'm going up to Fort Wayne IN next week. I'm debating whether or not to take my 3" S&W 29 with me as a possible BUG because of the colder weather. The only bad thing is I haven't had a chance to acquire any speedloaders for it. I should probably growl at Bianchi again for not making .44 speedstrips.

If I'm in a warm area where medium to large game is not a concern, I'd carry a 9mm. I also would carry a single stack 9mm in the interest of comfort. That's my common practice when I'm a warm gulf state such as Florida or Texas. To balance out the diminished capacity of a single stack 9mm, I typically carry 50% more to twice as many as many magazines. The warmer the climate, the thinner and lighter clothing you're going to wear which makes it more of a challenge to conceal anything larger. However, there is a noticeable trend that crime is more likely to occur during the warmer months. If you can effectively carry a wonder nine during the warmer months then do it. However, the bare minimum I'd go with would be a single stack 9mm with one spare magazine.
    Last edited by netentity; 01-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Since you said not to consider size, I'd go large caliber.

I'd carry my Freedom Arms .454 Casull

No, that's really to heavy and the scope would make it hard to get quick hits up close.

I'd take the .44 magnum.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast