Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Quote Originally Posted by Danwin22 View Post
    Yes, the SR9c is exactly the same size as the SR40c. I bought my SR9c in 2010 and it will be my CCW. I just received my CCW License about a week ago and haven't gone anywhere to carry yet. My holster is a Milt Sparks OWB that was fit to a Walther P-99 but fits my Ruger perfectly.
    I didn't think caliber would make those two different in size.

I may have to reconsider the SR40. I never did a side by side comparison to the Storm sub compact but, I did try one in a holster a while back. Pretty comfortable being that it's a double stack magazine but it seemed to me like the grip was longer on the SR making more of an imprint through my shirt than the little storm.

Of course, both times I tried either of those two, the SR and the beretta sub, the flimsy neoprene holster I tried them in didnt allow for a proper test fit. There was zero cant angle so the grip was straight out. Plus the cheapie holster wasn't allowing for deeper concealment in the waistband like the alien gear does.

Definitely have some decision making to do. Lol.

The Taurus is a PT111 Millennium G2 that came with two 12-round mags. Seems like a solid gun but I won't know until I rack up several boxes of ammo through it.
    I checked out one of them a while back too. Nice pistol. Can't remember what it was though that I liked more about the two Rugers than that Taurus. Im thinking maybe it had a hard trigger pull?
    I normally spend my mornings working around the barn and horses so "Open Carry" would be a better option for me. I think that if Open Carry ever gets passed here in Florida you'll probably need a CCW to do it. If Hillary gets elected we may not be able to easily obtain a CCW in the future.
    Not sure about Florida but here in Okie country, as long as you are on your own property you don't need a permit to carry either way, concealed or open. Even out in woods whether it be deer season or just out on a hike. Pretty much, the carry permits is only in city limits.

Last week after going to the barn to feed horses I had to go to the chiropractor twice and had three visits to medical offices for my wife. Every medical place seems to have a NO FIREARMS sign.
    Obviously not government buildings, jails or police departments but, soon as I figure out my carry configuration, I plan on continuing to carry regardless of a sign. As far as I'm concerned, if they don't know I have it, they don't know to get angry about it. If they do, they can just tell me to leave and that at that point I'll just have to decide if I wanna ever go back in that place...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, you could shoot and handle both weapons. What works for one person could be totally uncomfortable for someone else.
    USAF 1958-62
    NRA Member since the 1950's
    FL CCW

Hopefully, you could shoot and handle both weapons. What works for one person could be totally uncomfortable for someone else.
    That's true. I don't think I'd have an issue with either, I'm just more or less looking at concealabity and comfort to an extent. I realize you can't have it all, tho. I like the single stack mag because for the main reason being it's thinner but, I like having the ability to carry more rounds in a double stack. And after carrying my big Beretta with 15 rounds in it, weight wasn't really much of an issue. Plus I'd like to carry nothing smaller than 40. Hopefully I don't anger the 9mm guys but with all this talk about handguns not really being the right weapon to stop intruders, a 9 just seems too small.

I wonder if anybody makes a single stack 40 S&W...........

If you are mainly concerned with intruders why not a 1911? A 45 can be a real confidence builder. My son's Kimber is pretty soft-shooting and makes big ole holes in stuff.

I've always liked the power of a .357 but I had a Ruger flat-top with 4-5/8" barrel that would blow your ears off in a confined area, like a bedroom.

I don't think I'd have time to tell a home-invader to hang on a minute while I put on my ear muffs.
    USAF 1958-62
    FL CCW

If you are mainly concerned with intruders why not a 1911? A 45 can be a real confidence builder. My son's Kimber is pretty soft-shooting and makes big ole holes in stuff.

I've always liked the power of a .357 but I had a Ruger flat-top with 4-5/8" barrel that would blow your ears off in a confined area, like a bedroom.

I don't think I'd have time to tell a home-invader to hang on a minute while I put on my ear muffs.
    That's true, it really could. Come to think of it, if the store my where my I bought my Storm from would've had a PX4 in a 45, I probly would of heavily considered it instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my 40....lol. There's no regret.

However, when I bought mine, I didn't even know that any other calibers or sizes even existed in the Storm family.

I'd love to have a 45 for conceal carry but aren't those kind of in limited choices in smaller sizes? And not only that but, for a reasonable price?

A 357 is also a great choice and 10-4 on the loudness factor. Altho I've heard that when your in a stressed situation with that adrenaline pumping, the noise ain't gonna phase ya.

Needless to say I got really lucky with the gun I got. I didn't research nothin, didn't do anything like that. Started thinking about wanting a gun to have and to go shoot and about a month later I took the plunge. Narrowed it down that day to that and a Springfield XD 9mm. Liked both of them, they were both really nice, I just went with the beretta merely because it had a traditional saftey and the Springfield didn't.

But in this case for conceal carry, I have to be a lot more decisive.....lol.

Nothing wrong with a Springfield or Beretta.

My first Tupperware gun is a S&W Sigma SW40VE. I wanted a home defense gun that was reliable and accurate, with stopping power. It was on sale at Gander Mountain with a coupon for extra mags.

It's my thinking that if I ever did have to shoot an intruder the police would want to take the gun for evidence and It may not be as well looked after as when it's in my possession. There's also a chance I might never see it again. I would sure miss my Ruger SR9c.

I'd sure hate to lose an expensive 1911 because some criminal decided to kick in my door, kill me and my wife for whatever it is they're looking for.

USAF 1958-62
    FL CCW

I hear ya, I'd be pissed, too. One of the things my instructor told me in my Self Defense Act class that they can't confiscate ur gun. Depending on the circumstances they may arrest you if they think foul play was possible on your part, though. But that was in reference to having to use your gun for lethal defense out in public. If you're in your home and some crackhead thug tries to break in, you won't have nothin to worry about.

Btw, is that little pinky grip extension on the Ruger in a fixed position like that? That was one of the things I liked about the baby beretta storm was that on the bottom of the magazines, it has the snap grip for better handling and concealment.

Ruger delivers the SR9c with a flat-bottom 10 and 17 round magazines. They include the pinky finger extension and it's a pretty quick swap out.

I couldn't get more than two fingers on the 10 round mag so I have to use the extender. I think it looks pretty good too. The 17 round mag is longer so I didn't need to extend that one.

My son's Glock 26 is also very short and we found some extensions on line so we can hang on to it.

I just found a picture I took of the flat 10 rounder.

USAF 1958-62
    FL CCW

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast