Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    The Beretta 92 is considered toxic, but the Storm has the same slide-mounted safety (when it has one) so it has the same problem.
    I didn't know the 92 or the Storm had a no saftey option. The Nano is the only one I know of that doesn't, atleast in the ones I was interested in for my carry gun.

Many handguns with an external safety mimic the safety lever operation of the 1911, i.e., frame-mounted (and not slide-mounted) and down is hot.
    Well, that seems to be true now that you mention it. I haven't handled a lot of guns in my quest to find a carry gun but all the ones I've looked at and held, my Ruger, the SC40 and SC9 I checked out, the Smith and Wessons, and even that Taurus Slim 709 and Millennium all had a slide saftey setup that down was fire and up was safe.
    There is a way to convert Berettas to decocker only, which many that carry them do. I know that you want an external safety, so that would't be something for you.
    How does that work? The saftey lever just gets converted to deccock the hammer but can still be fired whether it's down or up? What would be the point for doing that? And no, I'm not saying as far as disabling the saftey, I'm just talkin about making it a decocker only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I didn't know the 92 or the Storm had a no saftey option. The Nano is the only one I know of that doesn't, atleast in the ones I was interested in for my carry gun.
    How does that work? The saftey lever just gets converted to deccock the hammer but can still be fired whether it's down or up? What would be the point for doing that? And no, I'm not saying as far as disabling the saftey, I'm just talkin about making it a decocker only.
    The decocker-only version allows you to safely decock and holster the firearm after chambering a round or after shooting. The firearm is always carried decocked. A decocker-only lever always pops back up again, so there is only one position it is in when firing.

Px4:

Type F: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
    Type C: So-called to be Single-action-only ("Constant Action" - hammer is in half-cocked position). Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    Type D: Double-action-only. Spurless hammer. No decocker. No safety.
    Type G: Single and double-action. Decocker. No manual safety.

Beretta 92:

F Models: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
    FS Models: Single and double-action. Decocker. Manual safety.
    G Models: Single and double-action. Decocker. No manual safety.
    DS Models: Double-action-only. Decocker. Manual safety.
    D Models: Double-action-only. No decocker. No safety.

You can convert the decocker/manual-safety switch to a decocker-only switch on those that have it. The following video is by a self-proclaimed Internet gun expert who changes his carry gun more often than his underwear. He is rarely right with his choices and often completely changes his opinions. However, he does know Berettas:

Hmm. Interesting.

Do you plan to try a laser?

Also, is the barrel +p rated and would you be open to trying +p ammo in a small gun?

Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Do you plan to try a laser?

Also, is the barrel +p rated and would you be open to trying +p ammo in a small gun?
    Oh yeah, I plan to get a laser. My alien gear holster I ordered had the form fitted kydex for several different brands. The one I got was for the crimson trace laser guard. Wasn't crazy about spending what I did for a laser sight but atleast this one has the push button momentary switch that activates by squeezing the grip and turns off when you let go. The other models that AG covered for attachments didn't. Well, except for I believe it was the laser max, that you had to reach up with your index finger to turn it off but it had a built in timer that turned it off after a certain amount of time of you forgot to turn it off manually.

As far as plus p ammo, the owners manual kinda contradicts yes or no to the use of it. First it says that it would be fine as long as you don't do it all the time, then it said feeding the gun a healthy diet of plus p ammunition would greatly shorten the life of the gun. Then it went on to say that plus p ammo wasn't recommended. Lol.

I dunno, whether whatever the gun was in question was made to handle plus p ammo or not, is it really something to consider using it?

I wasn't really considering a laser sight but since this is probably going to be my primary carry pistol and the one I'll have on me, I figured why not since this isn't going to be a plinking or range gun. That, and if it helps to give me an edge, that's great too.

I might also add that it's primarily Alien Gears fault, too since they already have a shell mold for my pistol with a laser on it....Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Oh yeah, I plan to get a laser. My alien gear holster I ordered had the form fitted kydex for several different brands. The one I got was for the crimson trace laser guard. Wasn't crazy about spending what I did for a laser sight but atleast this one has the push button momentary switch that activates by squeezing the grip and turns off when you let go. The other models that AG covered for attachments didn't. Well, except for I believe it was the laser max, that you had to reach up with your index finger to turn it off but it had a built in timer that turned it off after a certain amount of time of you forgot to turn it off manually.

As far as plus p ammo, the owners manual kinda contradicts yes or no to the use of it. First it says that it would be fine as long as you don't do it all the time, then it said feeding the gun a healthy diet of plus p ammunition would greatly shorten the life of the gun. Then it went on to say that plus p ammo wasn't recommended. Lol.

I dunno, whether whatever the gun was in question was made to handle plus p ammo or not, is it really something to consider using it?

Well, do NOT fire +p ammo unles the barrel itself is stamped "+p". You can always buy one.

I wasn't really considering a laser sight but since this is probably going to be my primary carry pistol and the one I'll have on me, I figured why not since this isn't going to be a plinking or range gun. That, and if it helps to give me an edge, that's great too.

I might also add that it's primarily Alien Gears fault, too since they already have a shell mold for my pistol with a laser on it....Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

See I put a green laser on my snub because it's for the bedroom. If I'm woken up in the middle of the night I know I can't rely on a textbook stance etc; not while half asleep and suprised. Put the dot on the threat and pull the trigger, that's it.

Well, do NOT fire +p ammo unles the barrel itself is stamped "+p". You can always buy one.
    Although I didn't intentionally look, I don't remember seeing the stamp when I took the gun apart to clean it. But again, what difference does +P ammunition make?

See I put a green laser on my snub becauseit's for the bedroom. If I'm woken up in the middle of the night I know I can't rely on a textbook stance etc; not while half asleep and suprised. Put the dot on the threat and pull the trigger, that's it.
    Yeah, I guess I could put one of those on my Beretta but because I'm limited to a rail mounted sight, I'd have to take it off each time I wanted to holster it. Unless I had a custom holster made. Here lately I've just been keeping it in a zippered pouch more for just protection while riding in the glovebox of the truck.

I dunno, I haven't found a whole lot of sight or sight/flashlight combos for the storm.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast