Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Although I didn't intentionally look, I don't remember seeing the stamp when I took the gun apart to clean it. But again, what difference does +P ammunition make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "+p" means more power behind the bullet.

"+p" is a designation assigned by the The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (S.A.A.M.I.). As with "magnum" it signifies an increased powder charge in the cartridge.

The benifit of these increased pressures is increased penitration and wond cavity, ie increased "stopping power".

Firing a "+p" or "magnum" round through a barrel *not* rated to endure that pressure can result in the gun literaly exploding in your hand. For semi-autos only the barrel need be rated to handle the increased pressure, so if you desire +p ammunition you would only need a +p or magnum rated barrel, not a whole new gun.

Practically speaking, +p and magnum rounds increas recoil, muzzle flash, and muzzle flip. While I encourage you to try them at least for the experience and sence of veriaty, whether you choose them as your carry amunition is purly up to what you feel most confident with.

For 9mm, +P means 10% more pressure. Instead of the standard 35,000 psi, the cartridge can develop up to 38,500 psi. The firearms manual typically states if a firearm is +P rated. Again, +P is an actual standard for 9mm, but not for all cartridges.

There is also +P+ for 9mm, which is non-standard. Loading +P+ for 9mm is reported to have 42,000 psi, i.e., an 18% increase over the 35,000 psi. It is only recommended if you really know what you are doing.

In general, +P means that a bullet will be faster given the same weight. Since defensive loads are typically developed around service barrel lengths, such as 4.5 inches, shorter barreled firearms generally launch bullets at slower speed. Using a +P round can offset some of the lost speed due to a shorter barrel.

I personally carry Federal Premium Tactical HST 9mm 147 Grain +P JHP in all my 9mm firearms. Ammunition Depot has them for $25 per 50-round box.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Well, do NOT fire +p ammo unles the barrel itself is stamped "+p". You can always buy one.
    I honestly have never seen a +P stamped barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I honestly have never seen a +P stamped barrel.
    What would you like me to do with that information?

Here is a Googled img of a +p stamp on a model of gun I own:

What would you like me to do with that information?
    I don't know. I merely posted the fact that I haven't seen a +P stamped barrel. All the handguns I have that are +P rated are Glocks. Glock doesn't stamp their barrels with +P, just 9x19.

I don't know. I merely posted the fact that I haven't seen a +P stamped barrel. All the handguns I have that are +P rated are Glocks. Glock doesn't stamp their barrels with +P, just 9x19.
    I've never owned a Glock due to the terrible grip angle so I couldn't tell ya.

Funny how the civilians of the country who made Glock cannot own a Glock.

Funny how the civilians of the country who made Glock cannot own a Glock.
    You got that part wrong. Glocks are originally from Austria, which is among the few "gun friendly" countries in Europe. I was in Austria just a year ago and a friend of mine who lives there told me that gun sales were through the roof due to the flood of refugees. We even went to the gun store where he buys his firearms and ammunition from. He owns several Glocks.

Here is a Googled img of a +p stamp on a model of gun I own:
    I think .38 Special +P is a special case anyway as I don't think that there are revolvers being sold that are in .38 Special only with no +P. So, yes I have seen a +P stamp before, just not on a semi-auto.

You got that part wrong. Glocks are originally from Austria, which is among the few "gun friendly" countries in Europe. I was in Austria just a year ago and a friend of mine who lives there told me that gun sales were through the roof due to the flood of refugees. We even went to the gun store where he buys his firearms and ammunition from. He owns several Glocks.
    You may want to take a close look at those "gun sales" because Glock doesn't make a hunting rifle. Narrow youre reserch to who is actialy allowed to own *handguns*.

Sure Austria is a more gun friendly country of the EU, but given how anti-gun the EU is that's not saying much. New York is far more "gun friendly" than Austria yet is considered one of the most anti-gun states in the U.S.

I think .38 Special +P is a special case anyway as I don't think that there are revolvers being sold that are in .38 Special only with no +P. So, yes I have seen a +P stamp before, just not on a semi-auto.
    "[http://www]Can I use +P ammunition in my Ruger LCP?[http://www]*
    No. The Ruger LCP was not designed for use with +P ammunition. Given the LCP's light weight and compact design, the use of +P ammunition in this particular model may result in damage to the firearm or personal injury.
    "

Ruger Frequently Asked Questions

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast