Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol. - Page 14
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
    bofh,

Here's the description of Street Survival found at Calibre Press's Website:

"Reading this book is like riding with a thousand street-wise officers and tapping into the collective wisdom they've learned the hard way. A wealth of practical information on how to avoid a shooting confrontation… and how to win if one is unavoidable. Cited often in lawsuits as "the standard of performance" required of law enforcement today."

There are the two primary rules of gufighting that you think are nonsense. And you want to be thought of as trained? My dog is better trained, and a whole lot nicer and far more handsome. If you looked like him, you could score dates.
    What you talk about has nothing to do with what we have discussed in this thread and you take what the book recommends completely out of context. Conflict avoidance is a primary component of self defense. Your rule #1 does not say that, however. It says: "Rule 1: The ONLY way to survive a gunfight is to not get in one." That's utter nonsense as many survived a gunfight after getting into one.

Winning a gunfight means also to understand that you may get shot and you still have to be able to finish the gunfight, even if that means fighting wounded. Yet, your rule #2 says: "Rule 2: If Rule One is unavoidable, don't get shot." That's utter nonsense too, as this isn't even a rule. There are techniques, such as the one in the original video by Reid Henrichs that you criticized, that will help you winning a gunfight, but there is no magic wand one can wave.

Also, I personally know people who got shot and won their gun fights.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I train with active and retired law enforcement and military, as they are taking the same classes. You train with nobody.
    This is BS. Active cops and military train with their agencies. Their training is not open to civilians. You're not going to get on a law enforcement PPC course, and you're not going to get onto a military base to train with its personnel.

How do you know with whom I train?

At 6' and deadly force is indicated, there won't be punches thrown, only lead flying. Whether you survive will depend upon your tactics.

If you enjoy remaining vertical, at 6' you had better be prepared to use your free hand to sweep his gun from its point of aim. And you had better keep your gun tucked next to your hip. Do the hood hold, and a bad guy who knows what he's doing will take your gun from you before you've realize that you've pissed your pants for the final time.

Gunfighting is serious business. You ought not get in that business. You're not ready.

My advice is to avoid. That requires situational awareness. But you won't know it unless you've been trained in bad guy recognition.

Not getting shot is a function of tactics. But since you refuse to accept the life-saving tactic of free hand sweep, you're at a severe tactical disadvantage.

Watch this clip of Tom Cruise in Collateral. You'll see perfect execution of a free hand sweep and hip point shooting. When I originally saw the film, I knew instinctively that he had received law enforcement training. He did train at LA County Sheriff's range, but I was wrong about his training. He was taught by the best of the best: a retired SAS soldier. The British invented special forces, and SAS is the best special forces in the world. Tom Cruise executed the scene to textbook precision. No hood hold. No scratching fleas from his head. His tactical closing of distance was superb. He knew he could win if were to close distance. It was all superb tactical response (free hand sweep) and excellent hip point shooting. My guess is you didn't see this film clip at your trained killer firearms training and milk delivery course.

BTW, I'm happy as can be. I'll be leaving in just a few minutes to check out the latest in bikini fashions at a local So Cal beach.

This is BS. Active cops and military train with their agencies. Their training is not open to civilians. You're not going to get on a law enforcement PPC course, and you're not going to get onto a military base to train with its personnel.

How do you know with whom I train?

At 6' and deadly force is indicated, there won't be punches thrown, only lead flying. Whether you survive will depend upon your tactics.

If you enjoy remaining vertical, at 6' you had better be prepared to use your free hand to sweep his gun from its point of aim. And you had better keep your gun tucked next to your hip. Do the hood hold, and a bad guy who knows what he's doing will take your gun from you before you've realize that you've pissed your pants for the final time.

Gunfighting is serious business. You ought not get in that business. You're not ready.

My advice is to avoid. That requires situational awareness. But you won't know it unless you've been trained in bad guy recognition.

Not getting shot is a function of tactics. But since you refuse to accept the life-saving tactic of free hand sweep, you're at a severe tactical disadvantage.

Watch this clip of Tom Cruise in Collateral. You'll see perfect execution of a free hand sweep and hip point shooting. When I originally saw the film, I knew instinctively that he had received law enforcement training. He did train at LA County Sheriff's range, but I was wrong about his training. He was taught by the best of the best: a retired SAS soldier. The British invented special forces, and SAS is the best special forces in the world. Tom Cruise executed the scene to textbook precision. No hood hold. No scratching fleas from his head. His tactical closing of distance was superb. He knew he could win if were to close distance. It was all superb tactical response (free hand sweep) and excellent hip point shooting. My guess is you didn't see this film clip at your trained killer firearms training and milk delivery course.

BTW, I'm happy as can be. I'll be leaving in just a few minutes to check out the latest in bikini fashions at a local So Cal beach.
    LOL! This post made my day. Let's do the comments on this post in reverse order:

A video of Tom Cruise in Collateral? Are you kidding me? Yes, movie actors often receive firearms training, but this is a movie and not the real world. LOL! As I said, do that move in a force-on-force class and you will get shot in the upper chest.

Not getting shot is a function of tactics and skills. I never refused to accept this! You just never stated this! Care to post more made up stuff?

Gunfighting is serious business. LOL! How would you know?

You keep arguing for the outdated free hand sweep technique. I already told you its weaknesses. You had no reply to that. You just repeat yourself.

Who says a deadly force incident will be at 6 feet? The photo I showed you was 3 feet, by the way, so there will be punches thrown.

You clearly have no idea about training these days. Yes, law enforcement and military branches do have their own training. Why is it then that active and retired law enforcement and military then shows up at firearms training schools for civilians? Think about that for a moment!

FYI: Pretty much all beginner classes at firearms training schools for civilians have their students perform the, rather simplistic, FBI handgun qualification on day 2. The training schools for civilians typically use smaller-sized targets though.

Quote Originally Posted by GGB View Post
    Thanks again. Lol
    I'd go with your being a cool dude. In reality, I'm sure we'd get along. And you'd enjoy meeting my martial arts friend. He has photos of him with very famous martial artists.

Except for the elite of his martial arts friends, the rest were flakes. They expressed a desire to get in fights with guys whom they knew they could whip. I never saw any of 'em screw with real tough dudes. One of his friends was a black belt. He couldn't seem to get his status straight. He was a criminal, and he was going to comply with my friend's directives. He told me that he was going to kick the cop's ass. He wanted me to intervene on his behalf. I did. I told him that he was going to do what my friend directed, or consequences would portend poorly for him. I saved him from intermediary force and possible broken bones. The big corn fed beef farm boy was an excellent cop and a total stud. Here's the reality: had black belt tried to fight corn fed beef studly cop, my money would have been on corn fed beef. Corn fed beef was a genuinely nice guy. Black belt was a dirt bag who thought he could use our mutual friendship with my other friend to his advantage. He was a punk con artist who intimidated people who are intimidated by black belts.

One of my friend's close friends did a lot of Hollywood martial arts movies. He was a black dude who died about 10 years ago of leukemia. One night during a lot of beer drinking, he tried to get me to to go with him to LA. He guaranteed me female action of the paid variety. He said he'd of picked up the talent's fee. Finally I looked right at him. Keeping in mind that he was a genuinely nice guy and he genuinely thought he was doing me a solid, I looked right at him, made direct eye contact, and asked, "Do you know what I do for a living? You're asking me to put my job at risk. I ain't doing it. I'll arrest you and your talent first." Pandering is a non-reducible felony in CA: Law section He appeared shocked and then relieved with my honesty. We remained buddies. He never again asked me to do anything illegal.

I've seen my share of real tough guys, psychotic killers who'd of killed me in a second if they had chances. My job was to deny them chances. I sure as hell wouldn't pick a fight with any of 'em. Believe me, the first time you're within arm's length of a Aryan Brotherhood killer or a Hell's Angel, you'll never forget the look and how very sudden death can occur. Psychotic killers have a stare that conveys death. That's why avoidance at all cost is essential. Cops can't avoid. Their job requires them to make contact and engage if avoidance isn't an option. Motorists could drive by a car stop and see ten cops standing at the scene. They'll almost always think cops have nothing better to do. They'll have no clue that they have a trained killer pulled over, and the ten cops are a show of force, that the trained killer will not survive if he were to try to harm a cop. That's how cops avoid having to kill very bad people.

If you get out to So Cal, dial me in. I will guarantee you a fun time. If you get here during bikini season, you'll have even more fun.

bofh,

Let's agree to disagree and try to find common ground on another topic.

Do you like to surf?

bofh,

Let's agree to disagree and try to find common ground on another topic.

Do you like to surf?
    I ski, a lot! I haven't taken up surfing yet.

Just to close this topic and to actually provide some meaningful content, the reason for not holding the handgun vertical in that position is that clothing can interfere with the action and jam up a pistol. That's why a right-handed shooter would cant the handgun outwards, away from the body, such that the slide and ejection port is away from the clothing. A left-handed shooter needs to turn the gun 90 degrees. Otherwise, brass gets ejected into the clothing and deflected back into the gun, jamming it up. The vertical and close-to-the-hip hold was developed and used for revolvers, where the risk of clothing getting between the hammer and the transfer bar is minimal.

bohf,

We've obviously had different training.

Best of luck and stay safe

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    DirtyHarry
    Banned

That might actually be a record. LOL
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    DirtyHarry
    Banned

That might actually be a record. LOL
    Gee, don't get too excited.

11. I've been reading the threads on this app for a year and never thought of chiming in until Dirty Harry started his rants. I have found a lot of useful info here as well as entertainment! Thanks to all the good members

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast