Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol. - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 168

Thread: Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Which one are you talking about? The SR9C?
    M&P9C

    I don't carry in the waistband.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    M&P9C

    I don't carry in the waistband.
    How do you carry yours?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    What do you mean by not easily manipulated? Are you saying it's difficult to take the saftey on and off?
    Yes, you need to try it out to understand. It is just not your standard thumb safety. It is a little bit different.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Ported barrel? I noticed it had that when I looked at it on Smith and Wessons site but didn't look into what it was.
    Yes, the barrel and respectively the slide have venting holes in it to redirect gases upwards. The idea being it reduces muzzle rise, which it does. Since gases are vented while the bullet is still advancing inside the barrel, the bullet loses some exit velocity in comparison to a normal barrel.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    If you can't handle the snap of the .40 without a ported barrel, then you might just want to get the 9mm version anyway.
    I'm a big guy with fairly large hands so, that may or may not be the case but, since whatever I go with will be used for personal conceal carry, there will be a lot more research and such before I buy one.
    Handling recoil is more about training and practice than anything else. I am 5'7" and 130 lbs. I regularly shoot hot 10mm rounds out of my Glock 20 (e.g., 200 gr hardcast at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs).

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    What do you mean by racking the slide one handed?
    One handed weapon manipulation is part of standard defensive pistol training. You may only have one hand free to operate your gun, because you have been wounded, your attacker is holding you by your other hand or arm, or you use your other hand or arm to open doors or to guide a person you are protecting (e.g. a family member).

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Whatever the case may be, there won't be a reason to rack the slide because there will be a round in the chamber at all times.
    You have been shot in the left arm. You shoot with your pistol with your right hand only. You have a failure to extract malfunction. Now what? You move, you tap the mag on your pelvis, and then you rack the slide on your belt or belt buckle or on a table or door frame, lodging the rear sight against a hard corner. This way, you clear the malfunction and you are back in action.

    Now you have emptied your magazine and need to reload. You seek cover, dump the empty mag one handed. Now you stick the handgun into your waistband and get a fresh magazine, again all one handed. You insert the magazine, take the gun out of your waistband, tap it on your pelvis, and rack the slide on your belt. You are back in action.

    I have been posting the following comment over and over again: Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last. Get some training.

    Here is a video by Reid Henrichs from Valor Ridge about one handed gun manipulation:



    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Not interested in fiber sights. Me personally I'd rather go with them glow on the dark sights.
    Tritium night sights are a very good choice, as they aid in low light conditions. However, you will never fire your weapon in complete darkness as you don't see what you are firing at. A weapon mounted light, a flash light or just ambient light has to provide enough illumination to positively identify the thread. Tritium night sights help you in properly lining up your sights in all these conditions.

    Note that the XS Big Dots have a Tritium option as well. That's what I use.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Was there a reasonable amount of recoil difference between the two?
    Some, but not significant. On the other hand, this is very subjective. Again, realize that I am regularly shooting the real .40 cal (i.e., 10mm) which has significantly more kick.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    How do you carry yours?
    I carry in an OWB holster with a shirt over it
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    What do you mean by racking the slide one handed?

    Whatever the case may be, there won't be a reason to rack the slide because there will be a round in the chamber at all times.
    Bofh pretty much cover this but it does indicate a lack of training. If you're going to carry a handgun for self-defense your training should take into account the fact that you might be wounded and you might have to manipulate the gun one handed.

    The techniques that I was taught are a little different than what Bofh is telling you, I was taught to hook the sight on my belt or my boot but same result.

    That's one of the reasons I recommend a good basic handgun self-defense course to everybody that's going to carry a handgun for self-defense because one of the first things you learn when you go to the class is how much you don't know.

  7. #16

    Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Yes, you need to try it out to understand. It is just not your standard thumb safety. It is a little bit different.
    If it's anything like the lc9s that Ruger makes, I liked it. The day I got to check that one out, I checked out a smith and Wesson compact, not sure of it was the mp shield or bodyguard but, it's slide saftey was very similar to the Ruger.


    Yes, the barrel and respectively the slide have venting holes in it to redirect gases upwards. The idea being it reduces muzzle rise, which it does. Since gases are vented while the bullet is still advancing inside the barrel, the bullet loses some exit velocity in comparison to a normal barrel.
    Gotcha.

    Handling recoil is more about training and practice than anything else. I am 5'7" and 130 lbs. I regularly shoot hot 10mm rounds out of my Glock 20 (e.g., 200 gr hardcast at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs).
    True but within reason. Some calibers are just too much for some people.



    One handed weapon manipulation is part of standard defensive pistol training. You may only have one hand free to operate your gun, because you have been wounded, your attacker is holding you by your other hand or arm, or you use your other hand or arm to open doors or to guide a person you are protecting (e.g. a family member).

    You have been shot in the left arm. You shoot with your pistol with your right hand only. You have a failure to extract malfunction. Now what? You move, you tap the mag on your pelvis, and then you rack the slide on your belt or belt buckle or on a table or door frame, lodging the rear sight against a hard corner. This way, you clear the malfunction and you are back in action.

    Now you have emptied your magazine and need to reload. You seek cover, dump the empty mag one handed. Now you stick the handgun into your waistband and get a fresh magazine, again all one handed. You insert the magazine, take the gun out of your waistband, tap it on your pelvis, and rack the slide on your belt. You are back in action.
    Here is a video by Reid Henrichs from Valor Ridge about one handed gun manipulation:

    Interesting video. Never even knew that was possible. Wonder why they never incorporated that nifty little trick in any of th Die Hard or Lethal Wepon movies??....lol. Although it was cool watching Linda Hamilton pump that shotgun one handed in Terminator 2...Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

    But in all seriousness, wouldn't that be hard on your rear sights? I'd kinda like to see about practicing that but I'd be afraid of yankin' my sight off.

    Ihave been posting the following comment over and over again: Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last. Get some training.
    Very true. Training is something everybody needs to consider.




    Tritium night sights are a very good choice, as they aid in low light conditions. However, you will never fire your weapon in complete darkness as you don't see what you are firing at. A weapon mounted light, a flash light or just ambient light has to provide enough illumination to positively identify the thread. Tritium night sights help you in properly lining up your sights in all these conditions.

    Note that the XS Big Dots have a Tritium option as well. That's what I use.
    I'd like to get a rail mounted flashlight or even a flashlight/laser combo for my Beretta since I won't be conceal carrying on me but the only problem I have with that is finding an OWB holster that will accommodate all that and two, since I primarily carry it in a zippered pouch, I'm afraid the switches will easily get turned on running the batteries dead all the time.

    What ever I use for carry on me would be perfect for night sights.

    Some, but not significant. On the other hand, this is very subjective. Again, realize that I am regularly shooting the real .40 cal (i.e., 10mm) which has significantly more kick.
    I would imagine they're would be a little difference especially in a compact single stack 9 and 40. For me it would just be practice and getting the muscle memory down to not even think about which gun I had in my hand at any given time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post

    That's one of the reasons I recommend a good basic handgun self-defense course to everybody that's going to carry a handgun for self-defense because one of the first things you learn when you go to the class is how much you don't know.
    Well, atleast that's one good thing about requiring a carry permit is that it forces applicants to get some kind of training. May not be to the extent of what cops or military go through but atleast it's something. Think about all the people out there that live in states that don't require permits; have they even shot a gun before? Know the difference between what will keep you out of the pokey and what'll land you behind bars? When I got my SDA certificate I didn't go through any extensive handgun saftey course or self defense course but atleast I was gone through the laws.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,756
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Well, atleast that's one good thing about requiring a carry permit is that it forces applicants to get some kind of training. May not be to the extent of what cops or military go through but atleast it's something. Think about all the people out there that live in states that don't require permits; have they even shot a gun before? Know the difference between what will keep you out of the pokey and what'll land you behind bars? When I got my SDA certificate I didn't go through any extensive handgun saftey course or self defense course but atleast I was gone through the laws.
    This from the guy who suggested mailing guns rather than going through the process of transporting them in baggage when flying?

    Wow.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    This from the guy who suggested mailing guns rather than going through the process of transporting them in baggage when flying?

    Wow.
    Since that was in a whole different thread about an entirely different discussion, I really shouldn't even respond.

    But as it's already been explained in THAT thread, what's your point coming in this thread only to blather about something that doesn't even apply? You got it out for me or somethin' Blues? Just because we had a disagreement in another discussion?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Interesting video. Never even knew that was possible. Wonder why they never incorporated that nifty little trick in any of th Die Hard or Lethal Wepon movies??....lol. Although it was cool watching Linda Hamilton pump that shotgun one handed in Terminator 2...Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.
    Gun handling in movies is typically substandard or outright wrong. Action movies are about looking cool and explosions, reality is about survival. Big difference.

    For some movies, actors do get appropriate professional firearms training that sometimes transitions over into the movie when the writers, the camera men, and the director are not hellbent on screwing it up for effect. Jeremy Renner took the Fighting Rifle course with Tactical Response, for example. Sasha Jackson, a British actress, showed pretty good AK handling skills in Jarhead 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    But in all seriousness, wouldn't that be hard on your rear sights? I'd kinda like to see about practicing that but I'd be afraid of yankin' my sight off.
    Not if you get the right equipment. Sights should be made out of steel and durable. Many handgun sights are bomb proof.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I'd like to get a rail mounted flashlight or even a flashlight/laser combo for my Beretta since I won't be conceal carrying on me but the only problem I have with that is finding an OWB holster that will accommodate all that and two, since I primarily carry it in a zippered pouch, I'm afraid the switches will easily get turned on running the batteries dead all the time.
    Going back to my argument of getting training, understand how to use your equipment. I carry both, a weapon mounted light and a handheld flashlight. I don't use lasers at this point. The topic of lights and lasers is an entirely separate discussion, same goes for carry method.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast