Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol. - Page 8
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
    If that gun were a chick, I'd put a bag over her head.
    Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

And here I thought I was picky...

I'm all about quality and paying the price for it but dang, you gonna give me the other 500 bucks it would take to buy this gun if I were in fact still interested in a compact or sub-compact single-stacked 40?

I ain't sayin' Sig don't make good products but damn, they're a little too proud of their products for me to ever want one. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Yes, you need to try it out to understand. It is just not your standard thumb safety. It is a little bit different.

Yes, the barrel and respectively the slide have venting holes in it to redirect gases upwards. The idea being it reduces muzzle rise, which it does. Since gases are vented while the bullet is still advancing inside the barrel, the bullet loses some exit velocity in comparison to a normal barrel.

Handling recoil is more about training and practice than anything else. I am 5'7" and 130 lbs. I regularly shoot hot 10mm rounds out of my Glock 20 (e.g., 200 gr hardcast at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs).

One handed weapon manipulation is part of standard defensive pistol training. You may only have one hand free to operate your gun, because you have been wounded, your attacker is holding you by your other hand or arm, or you use your other hand or arm to open doors or to guide a person you are protecting (e.g. a family member).

You have been shot in the left arm. You shoot with your pistol with your right hand only. You have a failure to extract malfunction. Now what? You move, you tap the mag on your pelvis, and then you rack the slide on your belt or belt buckle or on a table or door frame, lodging the rear sight against a hard corner. This way, you clear the malfunction and you are back in action.

Now you have emptied your magazine and need to reload. You seek cover, dump the empty mag one handed. Now you stick the handgun into your waistband and get a fresh magazine, again all one handed. You insert the magazine, take the gun out of your waistband, tap it on your pelvis, and rack the slide on your belt. You are back in action.

I have been posting the following comment over and over again: Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last. Get some training.

Here is a video by Reid Henrichs from Valor Ridge about one handed gun manipulation:

Tritium night sights are a very good choice, as they aid in low light conditions. However, you will never fire your weapon in complete darkness as you don't see what you are firing at. A weapon mounted light, a flash light or just ambient light has to provide enough illumination to positively identify the thread. Tritium night sights help you in properly lining up your sights in all these conditions.

Note that the XS Big Dots have a Tritium option as well. That's what I use.

Some, but not significant. On the other hand, this is very subjective. Again, realize that I am regularly shooting the real .40 cal (i.e., 10mm) which has significantly more kick.
    It's amazing how "gun experts" lacking expertise can promote themselves for their benefit.

This guys knows little about defensive handguns.

Within the first 30 seconds, he destroyed his credibility that he never had.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

And here I thought I was picky...

I'm all about quality and paying the price for it but dang, you gonna give me the other 500 bucks it would take to buy this gun if I were in fact still interested in a compact or sub-compact single-stacked 40?

I ain't sayin' Sig don't make good products but damn, they're a little too proud of their products for me to ever want one. Lol.
    Always go with what's right for you. After all, it's your life you're intending to save.

S&W does make good quality handguns.

Here's a huge concern with lightweight handguns shooting medium to big cartridges: keeping your muzzle on target. Out of lightweight guns, a .45 ACP is very difficult to keep its muzzle on target due to recoil. And for survival purposes (which is the intent of a self-defense handgun), staying on target is pretty darn important. Recoil that takes a gun off target is not a life-prolonging thing. That is a tremendous asset of the Sig P239. Its weight makes it very easy to keep its muzzle pointed at a threat.

It's amazing how "gun experts" lacking expertise can promote themselves for their benefit.

This guys knows little about defensive handguns.

Within the first 30 seconds, he destroyed his credibility that he never had.
    How so? Please explain. I have more to say, but I will wait for your response.

Always go with what's right for you. After all, it's your life you're intending to save.
    Agreed...Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

Here's a huge concern with lightweight handguns shooting medium to big cartridges: keeping your muzzle on target. Out of lightweight guns, a .45 ACP is very difficult to keep its muzzle on target due to recoil. And for survival purposes (which is the intent of a self-defense handgun), staying on target is pretty darn important. Recoil that takes a gun off target is not a life-prolonging thing. That is a tremendous asset of the Sig P239. Its weight makes it very easy to keep its muzzle pointed at a threat.
    That's what I was concerned with which is why I went with a 9. I'd still like to shoot a same-sized pistol but in a 40 someday tho. Might even get one depending how I can shoot it.

90+% of all gunfights occur at 10" or less. That means a survivor had damned well better learn to point shoot. Aiming will get a good guy killed. At that distance, a survivor will know to keep his weak hand free. But this expert assuredly as no clue of a free hand sweep. He only knows what his trained killer martial arts teacher taught him, which ain't a lot.

I could care less out his purported martial arts "skills". There is a strong and weak hand. He just ain't bright enough to know it.

Now let's read what you have to write.

Good Morning, Corneilous,

You seem to have self-defense handguns wired. People all too often buy handguns that are not compatible with remaining alive.

Another reason why I love my P239 is it's very easy to point shoot. At 10', I can hit X rings all day long w/o sights.

Generally, I'm a bigger is better dude, but the reality is at 10', it's a whole lot more wise training to avoid rounds than hitting a bad guy. The trained killer in his is self-promotion video (which I didn't watch past the first minute) didn't mention the critical importance of avoiding bullets, which is tactical skill of survivors.

BTW, martial arts is choreographed striking and kicking. It's called art for a reason. It's amazing how many people watched Bruce Lee and believed he was a trained killer. He was a trained dancer.

Size make a tremendous difference. A trained killer like the trained killer in the video would find himself in a world of hurt were he to attempt to pull off his dance routine with a 6'6" 300 pound Hell's Angel. If that trained killer were to survive, he'd assuredly spend months in a hospital.

Conor McGregor has signed to fight Mayweather. If it's not a fixed fight, McGregor will be lucky to survive the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    How so? Please explain. I have more to say, but I will wait for your response.
    I'm still waiting for you to set me straight.

Thanks.

bohf,

If the trained killer in the killer training video had told Muhammad Ali or any professional box that there is no strong or weak hand, what would you suppose would've been his response? There's a reason boxers jab with their weak hands. Their power punches come from their strong hands.

Your trained killer is a fraud all day long.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast