Looking for first CCW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first CCW

1. Looking for first CCW

I would like the most of these requirements possible!
    9mm (Must)
    Atleast 8 Rounds
    Fairly Easy to Conceal (Obviously)
    Reliable
    Ease of Use
    500$ or Less.
    A good trigger would be a plus.

Any suggestions?
    Been looking at Springfield XDs, S&W MP Shield, Sig P320, Maybe Glock 26. Open to all options and whats your experiences?

Go to a range that rents handguns and try them out. Take a basic firearm safety class, if you haven't done so. Understand that your first handgun for concealed carry won't be your last. What is your level of training? Most people have close to zero training and chose a handgun for concealed carry based on the wrong arguments.

Once you had some shooting practice, take a defensive handgun class. Such a class will teach you when and how to properly use your firearm, including drawing, shooting, shooting at moving targets while moving yourself, shooting from behind cover, etc.. Some very good firearms schools even teach students that have never touched a firearm before and that don't own one, using rental equipment. Such students turn out to be better trained than seasoned gun owners, as they do not develop all the bad habits a seasoned gun owner has.

The following handguns are good-to-go, meaning they have proven to be reliable in defensive handgun classes: S&W M&P Shield, Sig P320, Glock 26, Glock 19, HK VP9, S&W MP 9c.

I carry a Glock 19 Gen 4. It has more than 15,000 rounds through it now. With Glocks, the recoil spring assembly (RSA) should be replaced every 5,000 rounds. That's a $20 part that is easily to acquire. All other parts do not require such preventative maintenance. The few malfunctions I had (3, I believe) were all user-induced or ammo related.

Realize that a good belt and holster are important for carry comfort and concealment. The setup needs to keep the handgun close to the body and distribute the weight. I use an SOE Duty belt with Velcro Liner (because I know what I am doing) and an NSR Tactical LLC-4 holster. I also use a BlackHawk Double Magazine carrier (because it sits high). I carry this setup with an untucked shirt.

The important factors of winning a gun fight are mindset, skills and gear. Most people ignore the first two and go all-out nuts on the gear. Defensive handgun training classes help develop the right mindset and skills.

Part of
    winning a gun fight is also surviving the aftermath. Most people carry zero medical gear and have zero medical training. You should always carry two trauma kits, one for inducing it (firearm) and one for relieving it (tourniquets and pressure bandages). Read Tourniquet Credited With Saving Life Of Officer Wounded In Shootout.

4. Looking for first CCW

I would go with a Walther if I were you. World class ergonomics and reliability. They have a double stack the size of a Glock 26 called the P99c. 10+1 9mm DA/SA striker fired with a decocker. Truly excellent trigger and will accept full size 15rd mags as well.
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ntLock/005.jpg
    For single stack it's tough to top the PPS M2. It beats out the Glock 43 and even Performance center Shield in every comparison I've seen. Has 3 mag sizes 6,7 and 8rd with various length bases. Super slim but still handles like a full size gun so easy to shoot well. They mislabeled the mags in this pic. Should say 6,7,8.
    http://accurateshooter.net/pix/ppsm204.jpg

Note that most Walther and HK pistols do have the paddle magazine release. John Farnam apparently doesn't like them.

6. Looking for first CCW

Read that too. Pretty dumb. Many find the paddle to be superior. And it was never intended to be used with your thumb. Either trigger or middle finger. I prefer middle as I only ever want my trigger finger to do one thing. Go bang. The PPS M2, PPQ M2, and CCP all have standard button releases though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar888 View Post
    Read that too. Pretty dumb. Many find the paddle to be superior. And it was never intended to be used with your thumb. Either trigger or middle finger. I prefer middle as I only ever want my trigger finger to do one thing. Go bang. The PPS M2, PPQ M2, and CCP all have standard button releases though.
    I would be careful who and what you call dumb just because you happen to disagree. It may just make yourself look stupid. His argument has some validity.

I wasn't real crazy about that mag paddle release either on a Walther I checked out a while back. Just didn't seem right. I'm not putting down Walther pistols, just saying I'm not crazy about the ones with that type of mag release.

But to the OP, take a look at the Ruger LC9s. I just got one and already love it. It meets a lot of your criteria. 9mm Luger, 7 round magazine with one in the chamber making 8, has a very nice trigger pull on it, small enough for pocket carry and small and narrow enough for an ISW holster, comes with a pinky extension floor plate on the magazine for better grip but also comes with a smooth floor plate if it makes concealing difficult and fairly inexpensive at probably around $400. The store I bought mine at had it on sale for $379.

If you don't want a slide saftey or magazine disconnect, which will allow you to fire the gun without a magazine inserted into the grip, Ruger also makes a "Pro" version as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kippjr23 View Post
    9mm (Must)
    Atleast 8 Rounds
    Reliable
    Ease of Use
    500$ or Less.

Any suggestions?
    Been looking at Springfield XDs, S&W MP Shield, Sig P320, Maybe Glock 26. Open to all options and whats your experiences?
    Find a range that rents guns and fire everything. Everything, even guns you KNOW you will *not* like. This will give you experience, and experience will help you make informed decisions.

After that it's all preference. Carry what you ENJOY shooting so that you practice often and carry always.

Quote Originally Posted by kippjr23 View Post
    9mm (Must)
    Atleast 8 Rounds
    Reliable
    Ease of Use
    500$ or Less.

Any suggestions?
    Ruger LC9
    Will hold 7(+1)
    The most comfortable and easiest conceal weapon I've carried
    Less than $350

(Just noticed that Cornelius also recommended the LC9)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Find a range that rents guns and fire everything. Everything, even guns you KNOW you will *not* like. This will give you experience, and experience will help you make informed decisions.
    I kinda wish I'd had a lot more of a chance to do that but there ain't no where around here unless I went to Dallas or OKC to a store with an indoor range. I'm still happy with what I got even though the most handling of the gun was just by picking it up and dry-firing it a few times.

After that it's all preference. Carry what you ENJOY shooting so that you practice often and carry always.
    Yep. For the gun you intend to carry on you, make sure it fits every possible way you want to carry it. When I bought my full size Storm, I didn't have any intention of carrying on me, much less even getting my permit. Now that I do, I still don't regret making the purchase, I just ended up having to buy another gun that would fit well in an ISW holster and pocket holster...lol. The beretta will still serve well as a home defense gun or even in the glove box so no, it ain't for sale...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast