Need Info
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Info

1. Question Need Info

I am looking at purchasing a gun from a friend but I have to admit I do not know much about colt 1911 and there off brand manufactures. the slide on this gun is from a colt but the frmae says that it is made by essex arms. serial numbers do not match but it does not look as though any of them have been scratched in any way.
    My question is; what relationship does essex have with colt? are they ment to be part of the same gun and what serial number do I use to registar the gun?

wolfhunter Guest
    It would appear that someone ordered a frame from Essex and built up a 1911 with miscellaneous parts. This is similar to ordering an AR15 lower and building the rifle as you can afford parts. You should use the SN from the Essex frame for registration purposes.

http://www.essexarms.com/index.htm
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 01-11-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added URL

I may be in the minority here, but if you're caught by some ********* LEO carrying that gun, you could very well end up in some hot water. If you want a 1911 but can't afford to pay full price right away, how about just going to a gun store and putting one on layaway?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but .....
    No sir, you are not. That pistol has red flag wanings all over it.
    Semper Fi

6. if I were to run all of the numbers do you think this would suffise to prevent any legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but if you're caught by some ********* LEO carrying that gun, you could very well end up in some hot water. If you want a 1911 but can't afford to pay full price right away, how about just going to a gun store and putting one on layaway?

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    No sir, you are not. That pistol has red flag wanings all over it.
    My questions is what make you both come to that conclusion? Just because it has an Essex receiver and surplus parts doesn't make it an illegal or a bad firearm. I've built several 1911's with Essex receivers over the years. With that logic over half of the AR's would constitute a red flag because they were build from parts. If it's in good shape and the price is right then buy it, securecarry76. If you have to register it in your state then it would be an Essex Arms 1911 and you use that serial number. The receiver is the only part of the weapon that's registered. The slide and other parts can have any number on it and has nothing to do with the receiver. It won't be a Colt unless you find a Colt reciver and put all the parts on it.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

8. Thank you.
    I knew that surplus parts for this type of weapon are a dime a dozen and I was only wondering. I do understand the other issues and am willing to do a back ground search first. it is a beutiful weapon and for 300 I cant complain.

Red Hat, I understand what you are saying. If SC76 does now the history of that pistol, and is confident it will clear scrutiny, then maybe okay. BUt if there is any doubt, Then is it worth bringing the LE community down on you & your friend?
    Do your due diligence.
    Semper Fi

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by securecarry76 View Post
    Thank you.
    I knew that surplus parts for this type of weapon are a dime a dozen and I was only wondering. I do understand the other issues and am willing to do a back ground search first. it is a beutiful weapon and for 300 I cant complain.
    If you are well known and liked by your favorite FFL, you might ask them to run a courtesy check on both the Colt slide SN and the Essex frame SN.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    My questions is what make you both come to that conclusion? Just because it has an Essex receiver and surplus parts doesn't make it an illegal or a bad firearm. I've built several 1911's with Essex receivers over the years. With that logic over half of the AR's would constitute a red flag because they were build from parts. If it's in good shape and the price is right then buy it, securecarry76. If you have to register it in your state then it would be an Essex Arms 1911 and you use that serial number. The receiver is the only part of the weapon that's registered. The slide and other parts can have any number on it and has nothing to do with the receiver. It won't be a Colt unless you find a Colt reciver and put all the parts on it.
    Unfortunately, there are members here who are quick to say anything just to increase their post counts. This is one forum where comments must be verified elsewhere before their veracity can be trusted. It would really help if those without information would withhold commenting upon topics outside their knowledge.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast