Army Chooses Sig Sauer P320

Thread: Army Chooses Sig Sauer P320

Thumbs up Army Chooses Sig Sauer P320

Modular Handgun System (MHS) competition to replace the Beretta M9 has finally come to an end. From Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol:

The U.S. Army on Thursday awarded Sig Sauer a contract worth $580 million to make the next service pistol based on the company's P320 handgun.

Sig Sauer beat out Glock Inc., FN America and Beretta USA, the maker of the current M9 9mm service pistol, in the competition for the Modular Handgun System, or MHS, program.

This comment (in bold) made me smile. From TTAG | Army Chooses SIG SAUER’s Modular Handgun System:

Sig Sauer beat out Smith & Wesson, Beretta and Glock for the contract worth up to $580 million, which includes firearms, accessories and ammunition.
    Smith & Wesson entered a slightly upgraded M&P for the competition, Beretta designed a new pistol called the APX (as well as an upgraded version of their 92FS), and GLOCK went down to Gander Mountain, grabbed a G17 off the shelf, and slid it under the door with a crisp clean $100 bill. Okay, that last part might not be completely accurate.

While handguns were part of the competition, it also included ammunition and suppressors. The military really just wanted a single source where they could buy a complete package, and SIG SAUER’s evolution into a complete package provider with silencer, optics, and ammunition manufacturing in-house filled the bill.

Congrats to the Army for finally arriving in the 21st century with their service handgun. The Sig Sauer P320 is an actual modular handgun. It is striker fired and will have the ambidextrous manual safety that the Army apparently still requires for some reason.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Modular Handgun System (MHS) competition to replace the Beretta M9 has finally come to an end. From Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol: This comment (in bold) made me smile. From TTAG | Army Chooses SIG SAUER’s Modular Handgun System: Congrats to the Army for finally arriving in the 21st century with their service handgun. The Sig Sauer P320 is an actual modular handgun. It is striker fired and will have the ambidextrous manual safety that the Army apparently still requires for some reason.
    Here's a pretty good look at the civilian, compact model:
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I don't think I have touched a P320 yet. I have certainly not shot it yet. However, I have only heard good things about this handgun. I really like the modular design. One can change size and caliber without any issues.

As for the video, the price comparison with the Glock is a bit odd. The P320 comes with 2 magazines for ~$500 and Glocks come with 3 for ~$540. An extra P320 magazine is $40. They are pretty much the same, price wise. The P320 comes with three-dot sights for ~$500, where night sights cost an additional ~$80. Similar night sights for Glocks (e.g. Ameriglo) cost the same, ~$80. Sig Sauer not only made a competitive product, but also priced it competitively.

I think they have decided on 40 S&W for a caliber, but hey that was last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    I think they have decided on 40 S&W for a caliber, but hey that was last month.
    Any source for that?