Idiot Proofing a Glock - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Idiot Proofing a Glock

So let's go back to what I originally addressed

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    The original topic of this thread is the invention of a stupid device that is meant for stupid people that have little-to-no training, i.e., your average police officer.
    And I provided three names (one deceased) who have spent more time training people than you'll ever spend in any training class. Known industry leaders and I invited you to go tell them that they were stupid people with little to no training.

C'mon man get Yeager's nut sack out of your mouth and go do it.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    So let's go back to what I originally addressed

The original topic of this thread is the invention of a stupid device that is meant for stupid people that have little-to-no training, i.e., your average police officer..
    And I provided three names (one deceased) who have spent more time training people than you'll ever spend in any training class. Known industry leaders and I invited you to go tell them that they were stupid people with little to no training.

C'mon man get Yeager's nut sack out of your mouth and go do it.
    Well, I was trying to address your post politely, but you apparently didn't get it. First, why don't you stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that the inventors were were stupid people with little to no training. I said the customers for which this device was invented for are. My last post already explained the difference. I also gave an example from pistol-forum.com. I also gave an example with personal experience.

Second, what purpose should there behind me posting in the fanboy club at pistol-forum.com other than to have my post quickly deleted and me getting kicked off the forum? Fanboys will be fanboys, and forum moderators will do their job. If you are one of the inventors or know them personally, tell them to address my comments in this thread right here. Otherwise, I have no idea who the "known industry leaders" you speak of are.

This gets me to my third point. You quoted one sentence out of an entire post. That post contained already the reasoning behind that sentence. You partially quoted me by cutting off the essential part of the post. Here is the explanation for that sentence:

The original topic of this thread is the invention of a stupid device that is meant for stupid people that have little-to-no training, i.e., your average police officer. The device interferes with the advanced handgun fighting technique that I mentioned. There are other critical comments one can make about that device, such as keeping your thumb on the back of the slide is a stupid drawing/holstering technique as the shooter does not create a full grip and needs to change/adjust it during the draw/holstering.
    I guess the purpose of your post was to simply bait me into posting into the fanboy club thread at pistol-forum.com and not to address my actual issues I have with this device. Your follow up comments about "Yeager's nut sack" just confirm that.

First let me say I carry a Glock daily and have no intention of purchasing a Gadget. I don't think it's a stupid product I just don't think it's something I just gotta have.

I also don't think Tamara Keel (maybe Google her) is a stupid person with little to no training. In fact, with the exception of actually having been in a couple of bullet trading contests I'm positive she's better trained than I am and I'll bet my ass she's better trained than you are and she swears by The Gadget.

All that said there's a thing I learned in the Army called Risk Assessment. That's a "science" if you will, whereby you categorize risks by likely hood and likely consequences and work to mitigate the most likely risks.

So when doing my risk assessment on The Gadget I weigh likelihood. In my entire career I never had my handgun slide pushed out of battery by an attacker, I holster my gun every single day. So between the two the risk I'm most concerned with is putting a hole in my foot. I just mitigate it in a different way than a gadget.

That said, if you ever have to take on 97 ninjas in the food court you can rest secure in the knowledge that they can't push your gun out of battery.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    First let me say I carry a Glock daily and have no intention of purchasing a Gadget. I don't think it's a stupid product I just don't think it's something I just gotta have.

I also don't think Tamara Keel (maybe Google her) is a stupid person with little to no training. In fact, with the exception of actually having been in a couple of bullet trading contests I'm positive she's better trained than I am and I'll bet my ass she's better trained than you are and she swears by The Gadget.

All that said there's a thing I learned in the Army called Risk Assessment. That's a "science" if you will, whereby you categorize risks by likely hood and likely consequences and work to mitigate the most likely risks.

So when doing my risk assessment on The Gadget I weigh likelihood. In my entire career I never had my handgun slide pushed out of battery by an attacker, I holster my gun every single day. So between the two the risk I'm most concerned with is putting a hole in my foot. I just mitigate it in a different way than a gadget.

That said, if you ever have to take on 97 ninjas in the food court you can rest secure in the knowledge that they can't push your gun out of battery.
    Tamara Keel, Larry Vickers, Travis Haley and many more are better trained than I am. I did not accuse them of being stupid for inventing devices that won't be around in 5-10 years, because we have learned that they create more problems than they solve. The reason why it takes 5-10 years is because the inventors have convinced themselves of their product to the point that they don't see their errors, the followers of these inventors are not even questioning the product (see the already mentioned fanboy thread), and newbies get sucked into the vortex of buying gear to fix a training problem. In the meantime, the inventors make money on selling these products and trainers try to unteach their students that bought into the hype.

I have a professional background in reliability engineering. That's why I don't fix things that aren't broken. The primary risk of the gadget is not that it prevents one from using the training drill I mentioned. The primary risk of the gadget is complacency, i.e., the human using the gadget, hence the title of this thread. Everything else, like not being able to perform the drill I mentioned and adding another point of failure, is just an added benefit. An additional benefit is that gamers can now safely speed reholster their Glock without looking at the holster.

The gadget just made NRA Gun Gear of the Week, so now you have to buy it:

From Rob Pincus on Facebook:

Had a novice shooter show up with The Gimmick in class today... with no idea what it actually was or how to use it. Had a holster that didn't fit his gun also, btw. Said "someone on the Internet told me I should get it." #smh

Idiot Proofing a Glock-18451797_1329127463836743_3444155976064996263_o.jpg
    From the comments section:

Rob Pincus: ... I showed the whole class how blocking the back of the slide with one of these installed caused the gun to fail yesterday, it didn't take much creativity.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234