Idiot Proofing a Glock
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idiot Proofing a Glock

Talking Idiot Proofing a Glock

From The Gadget — A Striker Control Device:

The Striker Control Device was created and patented by Tom Jones & Todd Green to provide an added level of safety when holstering a striker-fired gun. The first implementation of this technology is the “Gadget” for Glocks.

The Gadget Striker Control Device will be produced and sold through Tau Development Group.

The Gadget replaces the standard slide plate on the back of your Glock with an all-steel passive Striker Control Device. When thumb pressure is being applied to the Gadget (such as when holstering) it blocks the motion of the striker, which blocks the motion of the trigger bar, which prevents the trigger from being pulled.

The Gadget Striker Control Device is completely passive in nature. It does not “lock” or otherwise interfere with the normal action of the pistol unless physical force is being purposely applied by the user. When using any normal firing grip, the Gadget is not engaged and your Glock fires as normal with no additional steps needed when drawing.

The Gadget was inspired by standard procedures for hammer-fired guns. Users are taught to keep pressure on the hammer while holstering. This way the trigger cannot accidentally be engaged and the gun is prevented from firing in the event that anything (finger, shirt, thumb break, jacket tab, etc.) finds its way into the trigger guard. The Gadget provides this same capability but on a striker-fired gun, in this case a Glock.

The Gadget provides an extra layer of safety when holstering. It is not intended to replace awareness and safe gun handling. But it creates an additional link in the chain to help avoid accidents.
    This is the perfect device for people with preconceived notions about striker-fired handguns with no safety and who don't know better, those with little-to-no training. I know one specific training drill that would render a Glock with this device useless. I wonder if anyone in this forum knows what that drill is.

Idiot Proofing a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    From The Gadget A Striker Control Device:

This is the perfect device for people with preconceived notions about striker-fired handguns with no safety and who don't know better, those with little-to-no training. I know one specific training drill that would render a Glock with this device useless. I wonder if anyone in this forum knows what that drill is.
    I disagree. This is not the perfect device for anybody who carries striker-fired pistols that rely solely on trigger-safeties.

I don't know what training drill you're talking about, apparently no one else does either or maybe they just don't care to answer but, it don't take a genius to figure out that one possibility would be an attacker keeping the gun from firing while trying to grab it away but, I dunno, since it's been almost three days since you posted your thread, how about telling us what specific training drill your referring to?

The training drill obviously involves applying pressure to the back of the slide, right where that stupid device is, and firing the gun, which is exactly what the device prevents.

The purpose of this procedure is to prevent the gun from going out of battery when performing a contact shot or to prevent an assailant from pushing the slide out of battery. There are two different techniques: (1) use the firing hand thumb to apply the pressure or (2) use the support hand. Since this technique also prevents the gun from cycling, the immediately following procedure is to rack the slide.

The support hand technique can be seen in the beginning of this video:

I believe Glocks are for cops and for nobody else.

Too bad they are so popular.

The training drill obviously involves applying pressure to the back of the slide, right where that stupid device is, and firing the gun, which is exactly what the device prevents.

The purpose of this procedure is to prevent the gun from going out of battery when performing a contact shot or to prevent an assailant from pushing the slide out of battery. There are two different techniques: (1) use the firing hand thumb to apply the pressure or (2) use the support hand. Since this technique also prevents the gun from cycling, the immediately following procedure is to rack the slide.

Hmm, I didn't know you could fire a semi auto like that. I take it this is only a Glock thing or does this method of firing work on other striker-fired pistols, with or without a slide-mounted safety?

This is a good video but, in all honesty, if somebody is paying attention and is constantly aware of their surroundings, they'll more than likely have the attacker shot and on the ground bleedin' before before they even get close enough to get a hand on their gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post

Why? First off, it's not just Glocks, it's pretty much any pistol that relies solely on a trigger safety that is relatively easy to have a negligent discharge if anything gets caught on the trigger. Even the Springfield's, with their grip safety. I mean, is there a different way to grip that pistol when you holster it, that I don't know about, so that you keep from depressing it just in case the trigger gets caught on something?

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hmm, I didn't know you could fire a semi auto like that. I take it this is only a Glock thing or does this method of firing work on other striker-fired pistols, with or without a slide-mounted safety?
    This works with any semi-auto handgun that doesn't have an exposed hammer, including other striker-fired handguns and handguns with internal hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    This is a good video but, in all honesty, if somebody is paying attention and is constantly aware of their surroundings, they'll more than likely have the attacker shot and on the ground bleedin' before before they even get close enough to get a hand on their gun.
    There is a difference between wishful thinking and reality. If you want to depend your life on wishful thinking, that's your problem. Real life is different. In many armed robbery cases, the attacker is close to its victim as the victim either didn't pay attention and/or the attacker didn't pose a threat initially.

Take a force-on-force class and your view will change quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post

Yet another post that makes zero sense. Why do you believe Glocks are for cops and for nobody else? Oh, I forgot, you have conveniently put me on your ignore list, so that you don't have to reply when I challenge your nonsensical posts. At least this way, the other forum members can see that your posts are ignorant trolling.

Idiot Proofing a Glock

This works with any semi-auto handgun that doesn't have an exposed hammer, including other striker-fired handguns and handguns with internal hammers.
    So in other words, this won't work on my Beretta Storm since it has an external hammer on the back of the slide?

I'm actually kind of afraid to try this with my Ruger, I don't want to break my thumb if it happens to not work.

Originally Posted by corneileous
    There is a difference between wishful thinking and reality. If you want to depend your life on wishful thinking, that's your problem. Real life is different. In many armed robbery cases, the attacker is close to its victim as the victim either didn't pay attention and/or the attacker didn't pose a threat initially.
    Reread my post. I said more than likely. I didn't say it was a totally, 100%, fool-proof fail-safe.

Nobody knows what will happen or how any attack will go down but always being in your guard, especially when open carrying, will minimize your chances of letting an attacker get too close to grab your gun.

Take a force-on-force class and your view will change quickly.
    Would love to if one came to town. May have to look at an online course or something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast