How well do you hit with:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How well do you hit with:

  1. How well do you hit with:

    Your 1911 in 45ACP at 25 yards or more?


    I need a basis for comparison.
    At 5 yards I sometimes cut bullet holes. At 7 it's 3-4", but today at 25 it was about a 9" grouping.

    I'm fine with that, but like I said I'd like to know how others' guns perform.
    It will likely improve for me when the new eyeglasses arrive! Lol, almost embarrassed to admit it, but I somehow managed to lose a pair and the current ones I just found out yesterday at the optometrist's are just for reading. That explains the troubles I've had with signs! And no doubt it affects my shooting...

    L8R's ya all,
    ~Smiddy


    USAF(Ret)

  2.   
  3. #2
    No idea how I do at 25 yards, I generally don't shoot at that distance, but at 10 yards, I generally do 3 - 4" groups.

  4. #3
    I would argue that your best shooting is when you can focus on your pistol sights better than the target. SO... that would mean your best shooting
    glasses are actually your shooting glasses. Of course you need to see ( or at least identify ) what you are shooting at. So there are limits to this
    advice.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
    I would argue that your best shooting is when you can focus on your pistol sights better than the target. SO... that would mean your best shooting
    glasses are actually your shooting glasses. Of course you need to see ( or at least identify ) what you are shooting at. So there are limits to this
    advice.
    Understood. At 25 yards though I have to be able to see the bullseye to properly align my sight picture.
    Of course that's for paper vs an enemy...in which case point shooting is going to be the way I go.
    At a range, it's also helpful to see where I'm hitting vs point of aim. But again, that's on paper.
    Splatter targets help a lot! Steels would be good too, or pretty much anything that gives rapid feedback.

    Thx for the reply :)
    ~Smiddy


    USAF(Ret)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiddySW View Post
    Understood. At 25 yards though I have to be able to see the bullseye to properly align my sight picture.
    Of course that's for paper vs an enemy...in which case point shooting is going to be the way I go.
    At a range, it's also helpful to see where I'm hitting vs point of aim. But again, that's on paper.
    Splatter targets help a lot! Steels would be good too, or pretty much anything that gives rapid feedback.

    Thx for the reply :)
    ~Smiddy


    USAF(Ret)
    Point shooting with a handgun at 25 yards in a defensive situation is a good way to waste ammo and get killed in the process.

    Steel or cardboard silhouette targets is the way to go for defensive shooting practice. There is no bullseye in real life.

    I sometimes use solid color paper plates (of different color) that I hang of a wooden target frame with a string. These paper plates move due to the wind. Now, an instructor or buddy is standing behind me yelling a color, at which point I draw and shoot two rounds in the corresponding plate without hitting any of the other plates. Remember, those plates move and may cover each other at some point. A plate may also turn sideways, which means you don't see it and you do not have a target to engage. All of this happens at practical self defense distances. These kind of drills are significantly more valuable than shooting groups at a bullseye at 25 yards.

    A 9" grouping at 25 yards is still minute of bad guy. That is the type of accuracy you should be shooting for.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,890
    For decades I've set up rows of small tin cans at 30 feet for target practice. I can't remember the last time I missed one. Works for me and the wife.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    For decades I've set up rows of small tin cans at 30 feet for target practice. I can't remember the last time I missed one. Works for me and the wife.
    If only I had a place to do that!



    USAF(Ret)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiddySW View Post
    If only I had a place to do that!
    Where we live in Arizona it's a ten minute ride in any direction to take us beyond the city limits. Then, all we have to do is walk or drive at minimum 1/4 mile off road to shoot to our hearts content.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  10. #9
    I don't shoot at a range often, as I am able to shoot outdoors on private property. I seldom shoot at a exact distance. You never know at what distance an attacker is going to engage you. Might be 50 feet or 3 yards. If you are use to shooting a 5 yards or 25 yards, considering reality, your accuracy may be off in a real situation.

    I have an old target I shot in a range one time and fired 18 rounds. The target was 8 1/2" in diameter. I put 17 within the 8 1/2". A friend said one time he didn't think that was too good. I took a tape measure and put it under his chin and up around his hear. He measured just under 9" in diameter. Then I showed him that if I had been shooting at him, I would have hit him in the head 17 times and the miss would have been in his adam's apple. Now tell me that it wasn't descent shooting, even at 7 yards.
    I am old, but deadly.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    I don't shoot at a range often, as I am able to shoot outdoors on private property. I seldom shoot at a exact distance. You never know at what distance an attacker is going to engage you. Might be 50 feet or 3 yards. If you are use to shooting a 5 yards or 25 yards, considering reality, your accuracy may be off in a real situation.

    I have an old target I shot in a range one time and fired 18 rounds. The target was 8 1/2" in diameter. I put 17 within the 8 1/2". A friend said one time he didn't think that was too good. I took a tape measure and put it under his chin and up around his hear. He measured just under 9" in diameter. Then I showed him that if I had been shooting at him, I would have hit him in the head 17 times and the miss would have been in his adam's apple. Now tell me that it wasn't descent shooting, even at 7 yards.
    I am old, but deadly.
    Yep, that's why I shoot small tin cans at 30 feet.

    How well do you hit with:-thumbs_up-2.jpg
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast