.357 for home defense? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 for home defense?

1. Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    Having a split plan home,I have made different plans for home intruders . Don't want to send anything to other end of house or down halfway.
    Thanks for the post. I hadn't thought about that. I live in a split level also. I live with me sister who pretty much lives downstairs while I live upstairs.

I would like to know more about your plan. In our house, (o.k. actually my sisters house.) there is one upstairs entrance, a sliding door from the rear deck.
    Downstairs there is also one entrance although that is through the garage so a BG would have to enter the garage first.

Then like most split levels there is a front entrance from which stairs go up and down.

3. I've told my grand kids if they see something real scary to scream and lie down on the floor.The best thing would be to pratice how you would clear or rescue the other end of house. I will be ok as long as we are not invaded by midgets.

Had a very good Friend, recently passed, whose home's access to the upstairs was protected by a panic button and an electric eye. When pressed, or when the electric eye was triggered, a welded heavy aluminum gate...held aloft with hinges at one end and an electric release at the other...would swing down at lock into place thereby blocking absolutely access to the upstairs. The remainder of John's Master Plan involved something about a short shotgun at the top of the stairs...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

5. Loud

One thing most of us never consider is the effect of a 357 blast in a small confined room. Even with ear plugs it is an awsome blast. Same can be said for the 12 gauge. If you ever have an opportunity to fire in and old deserted house, try it once just for giggles. It does make an inpression that you will not soon forget.

One thing that nobody has touched on is Frangible projectiles. If you are worried about going through a wall and hitting someone then use Frangibles. I have them in several calibers that I can carry if I'm in a hotel or if I'm some where I'd rather keep the round in the same room. Once fired if the bullet hits something hard other than soft flesh it turns to dust. Use any weapon or caliber you want without too much fear of over penetration. http://www.accutecusa.com/
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Seems like they don't manufacture ammunition, only projectiles. Despite opinions against them, then, perhaps Glaser Safety Slugs -or- MagSafe ammo isn't such a bad bet. MagSafe, especially...especially in .380 caliber...got exceptionally good marks. I'd bet that penetration through heavier winter cloting, though, is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Seems like they don't manufacture ammunition, only projectiles. Despite opinions against them, then, perhaps Glaser Safety Slugs -or- MagSafe ammo isn't such a bad bet. MagSafe, especially...especially in .380 caliber...got exceptionally good marks. I'd bet that penetration through heavier winter cloting, though, is questionable.
    You can buy frangible ammo. I picked up all of mine at my local gun shop. I just referenced that site for info on the bullets. Do a Google search on Frangible ammo.

look here... http://www.impactguns.com/store/pmc_frangible.html
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Thank you, Sir.

I keep a .44 magnum ready. I know it's louder and more poweful than is necessary for home defense, but if someone breaks in my home I intend to kill them. I think the only way a burglar will stick around after the first shot is if they're hit.

11. I use a .357 mag ruger speed six filled with Remington golden sabre 125 grain 357 mag ammo ! I beleve that if I do my part and hit the intened target i wont have much trouble with overpenetration ! I grant you that a 125 grn 357 mag bullet may be able to go through a wall and still kill ,I doubt if it would go through a person and then go through a wall and still be lethal ! My other currently available options are my .22 rimfire beretta or my ruger SRH.in .454 casull !

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast