.357 for home defense? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: .357 for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by CMS23 View Post
    I keep a .44 magnum ready. I know it's louder and more poweful than is necessary for home defense, but if someone breaks in my home I intend to kill them. I think the only way a burglar will stick around after the first shot is if they're hit.
    Don't know about you, but I NEVER want to "Kill" anyone. If some BG breaks into my home and I'm left with no other option, I'll use a "reasonable" amount of force necessary to "STOP THE THREAT". If it takes a blow to the head with my baseball bat, so be it. If deadly force is necessary, I'll use only what's necessary to prevent the BG from causing harm to myself or my loved ones.

Be very careful what you post on a public forum. You never know who's watching, and not if, but when it will come back to bite you in "your 6".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

.357 home defense

Damn straight! Snubby is a good choice too! I have an S&W 340PD Scandium. Yeah it kicks like a mule....but will you really notice recoil when your adrenaline is kickin and you're involved in a kill or be killed scenario?

Surfcc

I have a Ruger BH 45 Colt and the same model in .357......both work very well for "nightstand" guns.

5. We have three of us all trained to carry living in a split plan house. Home invasion is biggest fear out here in the country. The need for target id is a must and over pen of neighbors house 3oo feet is not an issue . Inside is, so making sure of target and backing are most imporant.

Until I saw the part where you said "does not break the bank" I was going to say a Colt Python. However they are no longer in production so the price has gone out of sight. Still in my humble opinion they are the best ever made.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Until I saw the part where you said "does not break the bank" I was going to say a Colt Python. However they are no longer in production so the price has gone out of sight. Still in my humble opinion they are the best ever made.
    That would be an excellent choice, and its value is guaranteed to appreciate. In the meantime you'd have a revolver you would appreciate!
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    That would be an excellent choice, and its value is guaranteed to appreciate. In the meantime you'd have a revolver you would appreciate!
    Believe it or not I bought it new, with a small LEO discount, in 1975 for about 225 bucks. I have seen them used lately for around 900 or higher.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Don't know about you, but I NEVER want to "Kill" anyone. If some BG breaks into my home and I'm left with no other option, I'll use a "reasonable" amount of force necessary to "STOP THE THREAT". If it takes a blow to the head with my baseball bat, so be it. If deadly force is necessary, I'll use only what's necessary to prevent the BG from causing harm to myself or my loved ones.

Be very careful what you post on a public forum. You never know who's watching, and not if, but when it will come back to bite you in "your 6".

gf
    Thanks for the opinion and the extreme use of quotations. Also, thanks for the advice about posting, not really. The law in this state allows for the use of deadly force if somone invades your home. It's just my opinion, which probably means nothing, but if someone goes through 2 locks on a steel door, they probably don't have very good intentions. I have known a few people killed while they slept during home invasions so that has kind of given me the mentality that I have. Sorry, not trying to argue, just clarifying myself mainly.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I'm thinking of getting that one or the Taurus 650.
    How's the recoil and how do you carry it?
    I carry it as a BUG in an ankle holster or in a pocket. I use .38 +P ammo for home use.
    It's not too bad with .357 loads to shoot but it's not fun either. I practice with .38s.
    I like the 640 WAY better than the 340 for shooting but the 340 WAY better than the 640 for carrying!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

11. Quote Originally Posted by CMS23 View Post
    Thanks for the opinion and the extreme use of quotations. Also, thanks for the advice about posting, not really. The law in this state allows for the use of deadly force if somone invades your home. It's just my opinion, which probably means nothing, but if someone goes through 2 locks on a steel door, they probably don't have very good intentions. I have known a few people killed while they slept during home invasions so that has kind of given me the mentality that I have. Sorry, not trying to argue, just clarifying myself mainly.
    I can sure understand your point of view. I think Glock Fan was just trying to save you a world of trouble if you ever did have to shoot someone and wound up in court on a wrongful death civil suit. However true and reasonable it may be to you, what you wrote would do you no good at all. Neither good nor bad, right or wrong, it's just a fact.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast