.357 for home defense? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: .357 for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    I can sure understand your point of view. I think Glock Fan was just trying to save you a world of trouble if you ever did have to shoot someone and wound up in court on a wrongful death civil suit. However true and reasonable it may be to you, what you wrote would do you no good at all. Neither good nor bad, right or wrong, it's just a fact.
    Thanks "shoots". I've personally seen many good guys end up in very bad situations because of stuff that they posted on a public forum. I agree that there are a lot of bad folks out there. I don't want to see any fellow gun owner end up in a heap of trouble defending themselves. If any of us are ever involved in any type of "deadly force" incident, I assure you that it will be a HUGE hassle. Lots of legal stuff and most likely a MAJOR headache. We won't need to give the prosecution any help by posting questionable stuff online or in any other public venue. I've personally seen a close buddy convicted because of statements made to the news media. I've learned from his experience and have trained myself to use terms that will help prevent me from facing the same fate.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to be one. Just sharing my opinion from what I've learned from those close to me and from consulting an attorney. I highly recommend that all my fellow gun owners find an attorney that's knowledgeable in the firearms laws of their state and ask them what to do if they ever get into a "deadly force" situation.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Glock Fan wrote:I've personally seen a close buddy convicted because of statements made to the news media.

That is why if your are ever involved in a shooting you should keep quite until you talk to an attorney. Besides the fact of getting legal advice keeping your mouth shut until the dust settles helps you to clear your head and think straight.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Have you ever considered a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home defense? The typical Mossberg 500 costs less than the typical .357 handgun, and the sound of a round being chambered in a pump shotgun is usually enough to get a bad guy to get the hell out right away.

5. Pretty interesting discussion.

The .357 is one of the most versatile cartridges out there, and a great choice for self-defense. Whether it's the "best" for home defense might be another question. The over penetration question has not been settled in this thread, nor will it be. The likelihood of rounds going where they are not supposed to go is very high in an armed confrontation. True over penetration (bullets passing through the target) is one thing; complete misses quite another. And, as has been said earlier, any round that misses presents a danger. Many .357 rounds are awesome penetrators. Even highly disruptive hollow points once their cavities have been plugged by plaster and wall-board.

The other factor about the .357 I do not see mentioned. The noise of muzzle blast was mentioned, but not the flash effect. A high-powered .357 round is a flash bulb waiting to go off. Since most such home defense type confrontations will happen at night or in subdued light, the flash effect of a .357 should not be underestimated. IMO, anyone even thinking about using a particular gun/cartridge combo for serious purposes should find a way to fire it at night. Outside would be best! Even though INSIDE will be even worse.

I don't have to worry about over penetration where I live. Ain't nobody else around. Even though I have quite a few .357s in various persuasions and often carry them when out and about, I do NOT choose one for home defense, A/K/A night-stand duty.

My choice would be, and is, a .45 caliber pistol, or revolver, with at least a 4" barrel. Far less blast and flash than a .357, or even a hot .38 for that matter, and very good results on targets. Even better (it sits in the corner by the bed) is a short-barreled pump shotgun loaded alternately with #1 and #4 buck. The shotgun is, hands down, the best choice IF you have time to get to it.

Just my thoughts. YMMV. It's a free country and any way you cut it the .357 is a great cartridge!

6. I just want to clarify something I said earlier about the .357 Magnum not being too "over penetrative".

From my research and expirience I don't find a 125 Grain JHP or SJHP to be over penetrative against two legged aggressors. I do find the heavier bullets, 158 Grain on up, to be so though. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. For me, the only load that goes in any defensive .357 Magnum gun I own is a 125 Grain JHP or SJHP.

Biker

Anyway you look at it....the .357 is a great round, and everybody should have at LEAST one!!!
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
    Anyway you look at it....the .357 is a great round, and everybody should have at LEAST one!!!

Maybe for everyday personal protection OUTSIDE THE HOME, but I'm going to stick to my guns (pun intended) and insist that the ideal round for home defense is the good 'ole 12 gauge, and that is one round everyone should have at least one of.

9. I have a 12 Guage for Home Defense, but the .357 Magnum is what will let me fight my way to the 12 Guage.

Admit it, nobody carries their 12 Guage through the house with them, or while they are in the Kitchen fixing lunch.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I have a 12 Guage for Home Defense, but the .357 Magnum is what will let me fight my way to the 12 Guage.

Admit it, nobody carries their 12 Guage through the house with them, or while they are in the Kitchen fixing lunch.

Biker
    For that matter, I don't carry my handgun on my person while I'm at home either. I do, however, always have a firearm of some sort nearby, whether I'm in the shower, the kitchen, the bedroom, or in bed. I have always believed that handguns are ideal self defense weapons outside the home because they're portable and concealable. Because shotguns are not as portable, but far more lethal, I believe that they are the better choice for home defense.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 07-31-2008 at 10:53 AM.

11. For that matter, I don't carry my handgun on my person while I'm at home either.
    I do, except for when in the shower.

Biker

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast