.357 for home defense?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 for home defense?

.357 for home defense?

Okay, so I know I said that the CZ P-01 was the home defense pistol, but I've been thinking about getting a .357 mag revolver. They look so... er.
    :o Okay, I don't need one, but still.

Who makes a good one that won't break the bank?
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

3. I have a S&W 640 that I really like!

:D

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Para ord p14 ss 45. big gun and 14 rounds of corbonds. Nothing wrong with 357 but at home I want lots of lead at my ready.

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    Para ord p14 ss 45. big gun and 14 rounds of corbonds. Nothing wrong with 357 but at home I want lots of lead at my ready.
    Not to mention that the idea is to stop the BG, not kill neighbors three houses down the straight as a .357 might do!

Rats, I didn't know it overpenetrated that much. Does the 357sig have the same amount of overpenetration?
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

Over Penatration

Don't look now, but ALL guns will overpenatrate!
    The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. SIG View Post
    I have a S&W 640 that I really like!

:D
    I'm thinking of getting that one or the Taurus 650.
    How's the recoil and how do you carry it?
    XD9SC,Taurus 85
    Remington 870,SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

9. I'm switching from a 45 ACP Revolver back to a 357 Magnum as my Off-Duty EDC piece because I want the "one shot stopping potential" of the famed 357 Magnum.

All the talk of overpenetration is pure Bovine Fecal Matter if you select the proper bullet. I'll load mine with either Remington 357 Magnum 125 grain SJHP's or Black Hills 125 grain JHP's. I doubt that I'll have much trouble in regards to "overpenetration". The rounds I select are designed to stay in the body of my target, dumping all their energy.

I could carry a "bottomfeeder" if I wanted to, and sometimes do. However, I'm "Old School" and like the revolver. For Home Defense though I prefer a good "bottomfeeder" with 10+ rounds on tap. In my case it's 15+1 on tap for Home Defense until I get to the Carbine or the Shotgun.

For a carry gun in 357 Mag I prefer 3"-5" barrels and leave the little 2" J-Frame guns for 38 Special. I also carry one of those too, as a BUG. :D I have found that you waste too much velocity and have to deal with too much recoil if you shoot 357 Magnums out of a 2" "Snubbie". At least that's my take on the subject.

Ray Chapman said it best years ago, "The only reason people put up with the muzzleblast and recoil of the 357 Magnum is because of it's awesome one shot stopping potential."

Biker

For home defense I use a Ruger GP100 with JHP, and there's also a 20 ga. handy. I have been thinking about the Taurus Judge which loads a .45 Colt and a 410 shotshell. But then again I've been thinking about several different pieces that I need:)

Wasn't it Master Ayoob who said that the 12ga shot gun was the best and most devistating weapon a home owner could have? I just can not get over the fear of the hi-power the 357mag has, espcially for home defense...
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast