Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun

Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun

I am starting my search for my first custom BBQ gun. So I am looking for a .45 auto, though Gun Crafters .50 handgun is in the running
    I am looking for
    A) Recommendations for a gun to start with
    B) A pistol smith to to build the gun
    C) An engraver to do some custom engraving
    D) One off custom grip suggestions
    E) A holster maker that does original custom holster designs
    F) Any add ons or must haves you can think off
    along with any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Obviously I want a gun that is 100% reliable dead on accurate gun ie one that works. That is a real eye popping one off beauty, one that makes your heart go pitter patter. Simple elegant classy not some gaudy gold and jeweled pimp gun. Last please lets skip the I do not need a high end custom gun for SD or it is a waste of money. I know all that I do not need it stuff. I have made the decision it is time for my once in a lifetime dream gun. Thanks, now lets have some fun with this
    Last edited by LongRider; 01-30-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

wolfhunter Guest
    Start with the .50GI Model 2, these guys have some nice grips and may do some of that engraving you want (and they have some nice cases, too.)

Cool Les Baer Custom

They can build the custom piece you want and it will be a true thing of beauty. Put some nice Ivory (that's right Ivor... it will have to carved from an existing piece but boy will it be worth it) on the grips and we'll be getting closer to heaven. Have a premium highly polished ultra deep hot blue and some really nice gold or platinum work for the hammer, safety, mag release, end of the recoil spring guide rod, and trigger. Have the lettering custom engraved with your wife's name and done in a fancy gold filigree and you'll be home free. Have the sights drilled and inlaid with ivory or pearl dots to finish it off!

Just my two cents.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I believe you should start with a genuine Colts--a PAIR of matched Gov't models (I'd try for consecutively serialed 1911 WWI repro) since it's carried openly. The rest depends upon just how gaudy you like balanced against how much you're willing to pay. Please let us see the results when you're done because this is a project I've been considering for some time!
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

6. Like this ??

wolfhunter Guest
    He did say "A Custom BBQ Gun"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    He did say "A Custom BBQ Gun"
    There seems to be some confusion:
    bbq gun
    The type of aesthetically pleasing or impressive-looking firearm that you might show off at a BBQ or on other social occasions, but may be less than useful.
    Urban Dictionary: bbq gun
    For examples here's a thread:
    BBQ Guns - TheFiringLine Forums
    Nice Gaudy Example:

Oh yeah, if I owned it I'd carry it!
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

wolfhunter Guest
    THAT is a disgusting waste of a firearm. If it must exist, keep it in a display case somewhere.
    To the OP, if this is really what you were looking to do, please start with a POS pistol, don't mess up a functional tool. This is the carry gun of someone needing an ego boost.

Please tell these guys your opinion:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/index.htm
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas Rangers Historical Development
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    THAT is a disgusting waste of a firearm. If it must exist, keep it in a display case somewhere.
    To the OP, if this is really what you were looking to do, please start with a POS pistol, don't mess up a functional tool. This is the carry gun of someone needing an ego boost.
    Last edited by NDS; 02-01-2009 at 02:43 PM.

wolfhunter Guest
    Why? Do they need their egos boosted? Do they carry guns with more spent on decoration than function? I doubt it.
    Engraving or otherwise decorating a gun to personalize it is one thing. The kind of embellishing you pictured turns the gun into artwork. If it commemorates someone, or an event, it should be on display. If it's embellished this far just for decoration, it's tacky and should be hidden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast