Dry Firing...Yes or No - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Firing...Yes or No

Yep, snap caps... For a few bucks why risk any damage at all.....
    Conflict is inevitable, combat is a choice!

I believe that a person can improve their accuracy with dry practice more than they can with firing live ammo.

I recently made Distinguished Graduate at Front Sight's 4 Day Defensive Handgun class with my support side hand. My 2 months of training support side consisted of 20 minutes a day, 4 days a week of dry practice and only about a total of 50 rounds fired at the range.

I use snap caps in my Sig P229, since it has double strike capability. I don't use snap caps in pistols that require resetting the action every shot, like my XD-M's. I log my dry practice and the Sig has been dry fired over 30,000 times. My XD-M 40 has been dry fired about 2500 times.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

DRy fire

I have been dry firing my weapons since I attended my fist class at Front Sight about 8 years ago. I doubt that it does any damage to my firearms. I know it helps my surprise break. The more you rain the better you get.

Dry firing is a proven technique to improve shooting skills in a wide variety of weapons. Have at it.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Myth Busting.

If the practice of dry-firing were to damage your firearm, be glad the damage occured during dry-fire and not with live ammo. But that's a big "if."

If your gun can't handle dry firing, how can you expect it to handle the enourmous chamber pressure with each live shot?

I personally believe the myth of dry firing is founded in partial truth, in that if you disassemble many handguns and THEN dry fire them, that steel hammer is designed to strike the steel slide and firing pin, NOT the non-steel material of the trigger housing in the frame. Dry firing a disassembled handgun could easily result in damage to the trigger housing area, frame, springs etc.

Dry firing is an outstanding and cost-effective way to continually work on the two most important of the fundamentals of marksmanship: sight alignment and trigger control. While the recoil of the actual round "masks" many/most shooter-induced errors, dry firing can still be beneficial in "perfect practice."

Because it's only perfect practice that makes perfect. Practicing a bad habit or a poor technique makes "permanent." Not perfect.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Get something like the following then you can be sure there will be no problems. There are different brands out there. I have about 20 rounds of 9mm in orange color. Makes it easy to see the gun is safe also. Also makes the gun close to normal weight. That is better for proper practice.

A-Zoom Metal Snap Caps / Practice Ammo
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

8. Dry firing is fine with everythhing but rim fires.

9. Dry firing

I had occasion to send a Ruger .22 pistol to Sturm Ruger for repair and tune-up, and while discussing the details, I aksed if dry firing would hurt a rim fire. I was informed by the person I was talking to that any gun made by Sturm Ruger could be dry fired with no damage, and that included .22 pistols and rifles. When unloading the firearm, the last step is to dry fire the piece to relieve the pressure on the firing pin spring. since there is no piece that protrudes from the rear of the rifle that you can hold and ease down the striker, dry firing is the only way to take that pressure off, instead of leaving it perenially cocked.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I VERY rarly purchace a firearm without first dry-firing it. If the seller will not let me try the trigger pull (mostly because of bad information), that is his loss (and mine) because I want the trigger to pull the way I like it without spending money on a gunsmith after spending money on the gun. Unfortunatly I run into alot of that. I agree that dry-firing "centerfire" firearms is not harmfull to the firearm, but if you got a few extra bucks-why not go ahead and get some snap-caps?

You gotta dry fire a glock in order to field strip it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast