Taurus PT140 Mag Dropping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT140 Mag Dropping

Taurus PT140 Mag Dropping

Aloha everyone,
    I just bought a brand new Taurus Millenium pro 40 sub compact, took my son shooting and after shooting a few rounds the mag kept dropping about 1/2 " so the next round would not feed. Can anyone give me some advice on how to correct the problem. Has anyone had this happen to them ? When the mag stayed in the gun shot great.
    Thanks in advance for your help

I don't remember this happening to me when I had mine. Does the magazine drop after the exact number of rounds each time? Have you tried not loading the mag all the way and firing it through?

I also moved this thread to the handgun discussion and renamed it.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I don't remember this happening to me when I had mine. Does the magazine drop after the exact number of rounds each time? Have you tried not loading the mag all the way and firing it through?

I also moved this thread to the handgun discussion and renamed it.
    Aloha lukem,
    Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I'm thinking the recoil is maybe shaking it loose the mag doesn't drop all the way out. And when I try and pull on the bottom of the mag it feels secure when not shooting.

Had this same problem happen to my Kahr P40, the magazine catch had worn out from abuse. I dropped my mags in sand when I practiced reloading and didn't clean them off, this eroded the mag catch eventually after about 100 drills. Kahr fixed it for free and replaced the entire slide assembly because it was developing the old peening issue they had for a while.

I would suggest you call Taurus, they were very speedy to send FedEx out to pick up the gun and they paid for all of the shipping. They never fixed my gun right, but they were nice enough to pay for the shipping 3 times! Oh yeah, I had a PT145 Pro. Had to ditch it due to constant problems...
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Weaver thumbs?

If it's a relatively new gun I'm guessing it's not worn out.

If the mags are as new as the gun, I'm guessing they're not worn out either.

Do you happen to shooting using a weaver stance and grip - with your thumbs hovering over or onto the mag release?? Sounds silly I know, but I find weaver style shooters sometimes inadvertently drop their mags just because their thumbs are so near the release - and recoil happens.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    If it's a relatively new gun I'm guessing it's not worn out.

If the mags are as new as the gun, I'm guessing they're not worn out either.

Do you happen to shooting using a weaver stance and grip - with your thumbs hovering over or onto the mag release?? Sounds silly I know, but I find weaver style shooters sometimes inadvertently drop their mags just because their thumbs are so near the release - and recoil happens.
    I'm going to take a wild shot and agree. This is a very common problem. You let your thumb sit too close to the mag release and inadvertently hit it on recoil. Been there-done that. Next time to the range watch this to make sure it doesn't happen then you will know for sure if the gun has a problem. I have a PT-145, a 24/7-C compact 9mm, and an 24/7OSS 9mm. All have the same mag mechanism and work fine.
    Last edited by astute; 02-18-2009 at 01:14 AM.

8. PT 140 mag dropping

I also own a Taurus PT 140 with less than 250 rounds shot through it. I bought it brand new in Aug. of 08. This month while shooting at the range the clip would disengage while firing the weapon. I took the gun to a friend who is a gunsmith, he removed the magazine release and found it to be defective. We called Taurus, initially they told us the part was on backorder and we could not place an order for the part. Reason given it was not due in for 2 weeks and they were not sure if they had enough coming in to handle their in house back log. I called back a week and a half later and they took my order for the part. It has been one week since this took place and I have not received it yet. Some of our local gun dealers have said, they have sent back these guns for the same problem. Swede

9. Check the screws that hold in the grips, if they are too loose the mag might shift more easily, if you tighten them too much you will not be able to insert the mag. Experiment with it a little and you can loosen the grips just enough to get the mag in usually this solves the problem.
    ---Cocked, Locked & Ready 2 Rock---

10. i don't know this gun, per se, but is the mag release reversible? If the problem is your thumb, switching the release to the other side of the grip would be easier than shooting from the opposite side. (Although, i strongly recommend everyone practice weak side shooting). Anyway, it's just a thought.

Good luck - that problem is annoying at the range, but could be very bad for your health if you ever really needed to stop a BG (and the mag dropped out).
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

As a LEO my duty weapon was a Sig 226.

I'm a lefty and the PD armorer said he would switch the mag relase to the other side for me. Great idea right??
    Wrong, the pistol functioned fine until the switch. Then what happenned? My thumb started hitting the relase with every shot. I had him switch it back to original the same day.

Personnely I think the release is best on the opposite the thumb side anyway. You can drop the mag with your middle finger and never have to cant or turn the pistol away from the target to reload. If you know somebody that can switch it, try it out. It might take some getting use to but you may like it.
    Last edited by chroode; 04-02-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast