Handgun for Wife?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for Wife?

1. Handgun for Wife?

Recently my wife has mentioned going to the shooting range with me. I am excited about this but I want to start her off with a smaller handgun and work her up to a bigger gun. I have looked at the new Walther p22 but if anyone could suggest other guns to look at i would appreciate it.

I'm glad to see your wife has an interest in shooting. I'd suggest you have her shop for a handgun just like she shops for shoes. Go to the gun shop/gunshow and have her handle (try on) all of the handguns she can get her hands on. Most she won't comment on, but a few, will feel "just right". Pursue those. Make sure she can work the action. Many manufacturers make different calibers on the same, or similar frames. Starting with a .22 is a sound idea, but the same holds true.... she needs to try it on. A person can be taught to shoot many calibers, in different actions, but it's extremely difficult in my experience, to teach someone to be comfortable with a handgun that doesn't feel right in their hands. If it doesn't feel right, they won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If they're not proficient with it, they should carry a ball bat.

Besides, gun shopping is fun....... just my two cents......
    Last edited by Jay; 02-17-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by justinrad View Post
    Recently my wife has mentioned going to the shooting range with me. I am excited about this but I want to start her off with a smaller handgun and work her up to a bigger gun. I have looked at the new Walther p22 but if anyone could suggest other guns to look at i would appreciate it.
    I want to start my girl off with something as well. Not too sure what to start her off with. I was also thinking the P22.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Jay, what you said, +1.

Justin, what feels good in her hand. How much recoil/kick/action can she handle/be comfortable with. I love my colt .45. She may only feel comfortable with a .22. Take her to the range, to a gun store with a range. She'll tell you what she likes.

6. My wife is very "girly" which is what concerns me about her ability to keep the gun under control.

Jay- thanks for the advice- my only concern is that if she shops for a gun like she shops for shoes we will end up spending a weekend shopping and then end up with 10 guns and she will only use 2 of them.....haha

Justinrad....

...teach your wife stance, grip, and trigger control, and she "can" shoot most anything out there. She has to be the one to say whether or not it's comfortable for her. I taught a 71 year-old widow last month, and she wasn't too comfortable with the .38 revolver her husband bought her. After shooting several models, and calibers she finished up the last couple of hours shooting one of my 1911's. The local gun shop let me know that two days later she traded her .38 in on a used 1911. A few days later, she called and wanted to shoot. She put 200 rounds thru her 1911, and was grinnin' the whole time. Get your wife's confidence up. She's comfortable with girly.... now get her comfortable with shooting small stuff first.

Dang, wish I could get my wife to buy 10 guns and leave 8 of them for me to shoot. If that's the worst problem you've got, you're in great shape.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Fully agree with letting her handle every gun she can get her hands on. I'd rather shoot a .45 that fits well than a .22 that I can't reach the trigger on or get my hands comfortably around the grip. That's how I purchased my first handgun--picked up every one I could find and there was only one that I really liked the feel of.

And weight is a consideration also--you have to find a happy medium. A gun that is too heavy will be harder to hold, but one that is super light weight (think Kel Tec, LCP) usually have a nasty kick which can lead to her not wanting to shoot/carry/practice with it. Good luck!

I started my wife with .....

a .380 and she quickly worked her way up from there. She recently pulled the trigger on my Colt Anaconda (.44 Mag), full factory loads. Smiling from ear-to-ear.

She buys what fits her hands, feels comfortable, and yes, looks good. Take her to an indoor range that rents pitols. Many of the ones around me have lots of choices and will walk you through unique operating characteristics.

Just my $0.02 worth.

John

I agree with the others that the best thing is if she can go to a range that have guns to rent and try out as many as she can. That is good advice for anyone male or female. For most people I would tend to worry more about the gun being to big or heavy more than the recoil. As already said with proper training, stance grip etc most people can handle a fair amount of recoil. If the gun is to big or heavy though it may end up being left at home rather than carried.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

11. My wife started on my Taurus PT92 9mm, now has her own Kahr CW9 and has no problem with my Glock 30. She tried a small .380 but the recoil was more than the 9mm. I would recommend getting her something that you would want her to carry for protection. That way, if she ends up with carry permit you won't have to gun shopping again. I also agree with trying different guns. My guess is that she can probably handle a lot more gun that what you may think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast