One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 14
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

I don't like decocking levers. I place them in the same category as safeties "Use them, but trust them only on the 30th of February". They're mechanical devices that could fail. Many may argue that they've never heard of an incident, however I would hate to be the first to experience one. JMHO

There's no substitute for safe firearms handling.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    Hammer down on 1911 ? It could go off if the hammer is hit hard.On half cocked is a different story, with an active half cock point . 1911 was made to carry cocked and locked......
    Only if the trigger and grip safety are also squeezed. It doesn't matter how hard the cocked hammer is hit, it won't go off unless the trigger and grip safety are also squeezed.

Exclamation While we were stationed in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I don't like decocking levers. I place them in the same category as safeties "Use them, but trust them only on the 30th of February". They're mechanical devices that could fail. Many may argue that they've never heard of an incident, however I would hate to be the first to experience one. JMHO

There's no substitute for safe firearms handling.

gf
    I had a young man in the squadron I was assigned to A/D his Ruger 45ACP polymer beast into the floor of his second story apartment using the decocker. He freaked out and tried to decock it again causing a second N/D and nearly striking his neighbor.

This was due to a broken decocker. Ruger fixed the weapon for free but it nearly cost that youngin' his career and his rights.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I had a young man in the squadron I was assigned to A/D his Ruger 45ACP polymer beast into the floor of his second story apartment using the decocker. He freaked out and tried to decock it again causing a second N/D and nearly striking his neighbor.

This was due to a broken decocker. Ruger fixed the weapon for free but it nearly cost that youngin' his career and his rights.
    The decocker was defective and caused an "AD". Things happen. Can't believe he managed to "ND" the second time.

Great illustration of how and "AD" and "ND" can happen in the same situation.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

This was going through my head as well, Carry one in the chamber or not? I came up with carrying one in the chamber is the way to go. But i myself do not feel ok walking around Cocked and locked with the safe off. maybe thats just me IDK.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post

At least that's not possible with a Glock.

Jeesh, guys, I don't want to read through all the old posts, but I carry double action only semis or a .38 spl . What is the big deal? Get comfortable ( the .38 helped me here ). I never, ever trust safeties, ever. I've known of P-38s going off when the safety was released.
    Too much of a good thing is not enough.

It's kind of amazing this thread goes on so long. The bottom line is that a gun with an empty chamber is pretty much useless for self defense. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that isn't really debatable. If you carry with an empty chamber then you are just making yourself more likely to become a victim who looks foolish after being shot because you had to try to cycle a round into the chamber before you're gun was ready to fire.
    If you're going to carry then you need to just sack up and carry more than a paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JBB View Post
    "If some you approching weelding a knife it takes 7 sec and 10 ft for you to get hit by the knife."

I just read the article yesterday and can't recall the source, but it has been demonstrated that a healthy human adversary can cover a 21 foot distance in 1.5 seconds. You need to be able to draw, aim, and fire in 1.5 seconds or less. Not much time to fool around chambering a round.
    Exactly! I don't know where the 7 sec thing came from but I'm not in that good of shape and I know I can cover a fair amount of ground in 2 seconds. If someone has a knife you should be moving away and drawing at the same time. They can be on you much faster than most people think.

Here is some info on how fast a man can cover 21 feet.

Edged Weapon Defense: Is or was the 21-foot rule valid? (Part 1)
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast