One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 15
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

One in the Chamber

Always! In regards to the safety on or off....depends on whether or not the gun actually has a "safety". As others have posted, many guns; ie Glocks, have an inherent saftey, like a Safe Trigger. Now a gun like a 1911 in condition one, Cocked and Locked, gives some the HeeBeeJeeBees. No need to fret if you carry this way as long as you keep the thumb safety in the up (on) position. The gun is designed to fit the hand in such a way that when you draw the weapon, your thumb is in a natural position near the safety to tick it down into the fire position. It's a great gun!

Surfcc

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
    It's kind of amazing this thread goes on so long. The bottom line is that a gun with an empty chamber is pretty much useless for self defense. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that isn't really debatable. If you carry with an empty chamber then you are just making yourself more likely to become a victim who looks foolish after being shot because you had to try to cycle a round into the chamber before you're gun was ready to fire.
    If you're going to carry then you need to just sack up and carry more than a paper weight.
    That's true only if you can't quickly chamber a round. I don't carry with an empty chamber, but for those who do, I won't say that it's useless they can't chamber one very quickly.

I actually like my decocker ( allthough i am not too closed minded to see the advantages of other setups and feel it is a personal preferance, but please take the time to get to know your firearm.) I usually use mine as a safer way to release the hammer and drop it with my thumb, better than pulling the trigger if the thumb slips off without the other thumb underneath. and allways point it in a safe direction applys to decocking at least 10 times over.
    "When you care enough to send the best... Shoot a .45"

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
    It's kind of amazing this thread goes on so long. The bottom line is that a gun with an empty chamber is pretty much useless for self defense. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact that isn't really debatable. If you carry with an empty chamber then you are just making yourself more likely to become a victim who looks foolish after being shot because you had to try to cycle a round into the chamber before you're gun was ready to fire.
    If you're going to carry then you need to just sack up and carry more than a paper weight.

I want go as far as to say that if you do not have a round chambered it is useless but it is for sure slower than having a round in the chamber. That extra split second may be the difference between life and death.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I want go as far as to say that if you do not have a round chambered it is useless but it is for sure slower than having a round in the chamber. That extra split second may be the difference between life and death.
    Which is why it pays to be aware of your surroundings at all times, round chambered or not.

7. One in the chamber

When I was a sergeant for a security service in Indianapolis, I pulled an inspection on my men one day. One of them had a Ruger Security Six, and he had five rounds in the cylinder, and I asked him why. He said he always heard you had to carry an empty chamber under the hammer for safety. I told him that was true of the old, old, old Colt Single Action Army, as it had no safety device to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin if bumped. Modern Double Action revolvers were safe to carry fully loaded,and you could pound the hammer on the sidewalk until it broke off and it would not fire. I told him to carry six rounds, as someday he might just need it to save his life.

When the sheriff's department in Arizona allowed us to carry autopistols, I carried the 1911. After many many hours of practice, drawing holstering and firing, I carried it cocked and locked, which I was informed by our dept armorer that was the way John Browning meant the .45 to be carried. Now that I am a civilian again, I carry a compact .45ACP on the 1911 model. After much carry and practice, I am not comfortable witht he ambi safety as it walks off, so I carry it hammer down on a loaded chamber. Thumbing the hammer back is second nature to me now. This gives me 6 in the mag and one in the tube, and the thumb-cocking has replaced the safety sweep for me. It is all in how you train. In police work, you constantly hear that under stress, you revert to your training.

The statistic of 21 seconds for a knife attack, comes from the Calibre Press film 'Surviving Edged Weapons,' which we were required to view and it was noted in our jacket. An average person, not even an athlete, can run uphill 21 feet and stab or siice you before you can draw and fire. Most of the film was demonstrating how to overcome this. Sorry, kwo, but they showed the fallacy of backpedaling and drawing. They used a number of security and police officers in scenarios against Tino Insana, and every one of them was 'killed.' After proper training, they were able to defend themselves.

Great discussion.
    Last edited by wuzfuz; 09-22-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typos
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    When I was a sergeant for a security service in Indianapolis, I pulled an inspection on my men one day. One of them had a Ruger Security Six, and he had five rounds in the cylinder, and I asked him why. He said he always heard you had to carry an empty chamber under the hammer for safety. I told him that was true of the old, old, old Colt Single Action Army, as it had no safety device to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin if bumped. Modern Double Action revolvers were safe to carry fully loaded,and you could pound the hammer on the sidewalk until it broke off and it would not fire. I told him to carry six rounds, as someday he might just need it to save his life.

When the sheriff's department in Arizona allowed us to carry autopistols, I carried the 1911. After many many hours of practice, drawing holstering and firing, I carried it cocked and locked, which I was informed by our dept armorer that was the way John Browning meant the .45 to be carried. Now that I am a civilian again, I carry a compact .45ACP on the 1911 model. After much carry and practice, I am not comfortable witht he ambi safety as it walks off, so I carry it hammer down on a loaded chamber. Thumbing the hammer back is second nature to me now. This gives me 6 in the mag and one in the tube, and the thumb-cocking has replaced the safety sweep for me. It is all in how you train. In police work, you constantly hear that under stress, you revert to your training.

The statistic of 21 seconds for a knife attack, comes from the Calibre Press film 'Surviving Edged Weapons,' which we were required to view and it was noted in our jacket. An average person, not even an athlete, can run uphill 21 feet and stab or siice you before you can draw and fire. Most of the film was demonstrating how to overcome this. Sorry, kwo, but they showed the fallacy of backpedaling and drawing. They used a number of security and police officers in scenarios against Tino Insana, and every one of them was 'killed.' After proper training, they were able to defend themselves.

Great discussion.
    Where can I get this video? Is it available on YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Where can I get this video? Is it available on YouTube?
    You might try Paladin Press. They have a lot of video's and it seems like they used to carry it.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

frank.macher Guest
    Great set of responses. Generally I carry one in the pipe, rarely a safety on. I have several DAO's, several DA/SA, many wheel guns as well. Practicing is the key as many have said. What you are comfortable with plays into it as well. If you have a fear of carrying your pistol cocked and locked and fear drawing may cause an unintentional discharge, the best I can offer is to suggest you practice _ safely _ empty mag, empty chamber draw and target acquisition. When you are comfortable with that, take it to the range and practice some more. Then load up the mag, chamber one, practice again and this time when you get to target acquisition, announce "stop, I'll shoot" "get back" whatever you say, and fire "if you decide the perp is still coming" or hold up if the perp is not.

Practicing is the way to get confidence, practicing develops muscle memory, practicing will ease the fears, practicing is what will help you survive...

Well, if there's not a round in the chamber, then it just ain't loaded.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast